About time -NDP MP’s bill to make Remembrance Day a national statutory holiday gets s

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's a holiday in SK depending who you work for. It makes it quiet enough to hear the 105s firing in salute throughout the core of the city. You have no choice but be reminded of the meaning of the day when your windows rattle 21 times.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
without respect, there is no freedom...why should some staffers not be able to observe the day because someone wants to wander around a store looking for a new skirt that they can purchase 363 other days of the year
Because they should be free to do so.

It was kind of the whole point really.

What a silly comment.
Easy now, don't get all bent outta shape champ, I didn't mean to strike a nerve.

Do you think there are only two options....the status quo and shallow blingy chains?
I was just going by the impression you give off.

Or it's about the general public standing up for those who gave lives for freedom and demonstrating what respect means for at least one morning in a year.

Just how I see it. ;)

It's not so much to ask.
I think it's ok for some to go shopping.

I think it's ok for me to go to the cenotaph.

It's the freedom that's the most important part.

Making things mandatory, strikes at the heart of the cause.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
They offer far more than the trends of the day.

For the most part, food is food and drink is drink and unless you habitually attend establishments where the entrees start at $30.00, the sole difference is in how short the waitress' skirt is

I don't disagree. I go to the legion in Redcliff quite often. But the fact remains, if the legion is having difficulties it's because it's not offering people what they want

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think it's ok for some to go shopping.

I think it's ok for me to go to the cenotaph.

It's the freedom that's the most important part.

Making things mandatory, strikes at the heart of the cause.

I'd rather it not be mandatory as well. But I also can't help that I want to slap some of these ignorant fu*ckers upside the head. Freedom to be ignorant does not protect one from being chastised for it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't disagree. I go to the legion in Redcliff quite often. But the fact remains, if the legion is having difficulties it's because it's not offering people what they want
Like I said, there are enough shallow blingy chains for you already.

I'd rather it not be mandatory as well. But I also can't help that I want to slap some of these ignorant fu*ckers upside the head. Freedom to be ignorant does not protect one from being chastised for it.
I don't disagree with that sentiment.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Because they should be free to do so.

It was kind of the whole point really.

if you are a retailer you can't close unless the mall closes because you are fined up the whazoo so then you have to force staff to work and if you are staff, you are forced to work.

doesn't seem too free to me

now if the malls just close, it's all good

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
if you are a retailer you can't close unless the mall closes because you are fined up the whazoo so then you have to force staff to work and if you are staff, you are forced to work.

doesn't seem too free to me
No one forced them to sign the contract.

now if the malls just close, it's all good
That's the mall management firm's choice.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Like I said, there are enough shallow blingy chains for you already.

Don't let his off topic trolling derail this thread. There are plenty of threads for him to do that in, he's best ignored in this one.

I don't disagree with that sentiment.

See I completely get where you're coming from and why, you know I do. You feel a strong connection to those whom we remember, and the reasons for which we should remember them. I have nothing but respect for that, I really do.

At the same time I'm coming at this from a position where I haven't provided said service to my country and I feel, very strongly, that we all need to collectively, at least for these few moments once a year, forget about our own selfish wants and take a damned moment. And if that means grabbing the ignorant little pissants by their ears and dragging them into it, then so be it. The same way one would to a petulant child who's not being respectful. As a Canadian I want them to be disrupted for one damned minute, and to look around at those who don't find it a disruption, perhaps they may even learn a little humility.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
See I completely get where you're coming from and why, you know I do. You feel a strong connection to those whom we remember, and the reasons for which we should remember them. I have nothing but respect for that, I really do.

At the same time I'm coming at this from a position where I haven't provided said service to my country and I feel, very strongly, that we all need to collectively, at least for these few moments once a year, forget about our own selfish wants and take a damned moment. And if that means grabbing the ignorant little pissants by their ears and dragging them into it, then so be it. The same way one would to a petulant child who's not being respectful. As a Canadian I want them to be disrupted for one damned minute, and to look around at those who don't find it a disruption, perhaps they may even learn a little humility.
Oh your point is not lost on me, I actually agree in small way, but...

You can't force people to remember or even acknowledge.
Ski, makes a really valid point.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You can't force people to remember or even acknowledge.

I can do a lot to make them feel really, really bad about it.

And I'm only half joking.

Oh your point is not lost on me, I actually agree in small way, but...

It's a strong feeling. Hell, people can protest it, it doesn't bother me half as much, or at all really.

Ski, makes a really valid point.

It's not really about forcing someone to show respect, it's more about not allowing their disrespect to interfere with my own need to show it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If the malls so choose to do so.

Forcing them, like silly Sunday shopping laws, are repressive, and fly in the face of the point of the sacrifice.
yeah okay

you are missing the irony of a whole piece here but most do when it comes to retailers in malls and their employees