A young girl with a lot of moxie and sagacity!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And it needs to be discussed. If you don't give teens some input into the process, then any set of rules you come up with is arbitrary, however clearly you state them.
our rule are discussed with each change of season and a reminder memo goes home too

the expectation level is also different for the little ones than for the grade seven and eight kids

little tots have little legs...their shorts are going to vary on their little bodies...but some guys and gals in grade seven and eight are the size of men and women these days...no cut offs...either

I'd like to think most teens would agree. Maybe discussing it would be a good way to get buy-in.
it can be discussed but bottom line it is not negotiable...there are no shortie shorts and no mid-drift tops and no boobie shows...

Nah, that's crazy talk! Just treat 'em like prison inmates.
yeah basically...they can be as creative with their clothing as they want...but it has to be within the limits and the limits are very clear

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's why talking about it's a good thing. Teens are supposed to be learning how to be functional adults in society. You can't learn that if you're subject to inflexible rules imposed by older folks with their own biases and prejudices. Can't think of a worse way to teach teens than to hit them with a rigid dichotomy of absolute obedience to any rule, no matter how arbitrary or foolish, during the school day followed by do as you please in the evening and on weekends.

Well, you have to look at the context of the entire matter. What is going to compromise the learning environment(that they are supposed to be in) the most her attire or all the attention drawn to the properness of it?
I suppose a school uniform might be the most sensible approach to the matter!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Nope. Plain clothes in Catholic unless it's a private Catholic.
not in our high schools here...it's very clear...there are skirts, pants, shorts, to choose from...winter and summer attire...wear and mix them up however you want but

no caps on backwards, in fact nothing on the head at all...if you get caught, you are told to remove it...it's not negotiable...you are also going home if you don't have a uniform or to the office to borrow one...you can roll your skirt right to your azz as soon as you leave but on school property they have to be a standard length

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Nope. Plain clothes in Catholic unless it's a private Catholic.

Yeah, I was raised in Ontario.. according to SAL seems I'm correct.

Personally, I don't find a little cleavage objectionable! :)

Yeah, I hear ya..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Personally, I don't find a little cleavage objectionable! :)
depends upon the age of the boobs

if they hang out, men are going to look be it a teacher or a preacher and some men have better control than others...

we had a high school teacher who always stood at the bottom of the stairs when classes were changing he was always gazing up, he also had a tendency to put the sign-out sheet up high...he was a pencil dropper too...pencil would hit the floor right around the time girls had asked to leave the room and it got dropped right behind them

we might have only been 14 but we knew

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It should be either full dress code, everything spelled out, no exceptions or a free for all. If you try this mambi pambie sort of dress code it all comes down to judgment and there always will be disputes.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
This is our high school policy:

All students are expected to be in uniform at all times from 8:50 am until 3:01 pm while in the school building and library. The uniform is to be worn on field trips unless specified otherwise. School Administration reserves the right to send students home whose dress is not in keeping with these guidelines and may result in disciplinary action.
The SMH uniform is supplied by R.J. McCarthys and is purchased by visiting the outlet, calling 1-800-668-8261 or online at www.rjmccarthy.com. Only those uniform items sold by McCarthys are permissible.
Cambridge Store
44 Saltsman Dr Unit #1
Cambridge, ON N3H 4R7​
UNIFORM ITEMHOW TO WEAR IT WHITE SHIRTS/ BLOUSES
  • McCarthy white golf shirt, polo shirt and French cut blouse with Eagle emblem.
  • The French cut blouse, golf shirt and polo shirt may be worn un-tucked in a neat and tidy fashion, not excessively long.
  • All the buttons on the French cut blouse must be done up and underclothing is not to be seen outside the blouse.
  • Blouses are not to be pinned, tied or knotted back.
  • Plain T-shirt with no markings may be worn under uniform shirts. T-shirts are not to be seen outside the uniform shirt, except at the collar. For example, short sleeved T-shirts are to be worn under short sleeved uniform shirts and T-shirts must be tucked in pants/shorts.
PANTS/ CAPRIS/ SHORTS
  • McCarthy navy blue formal and casual style with McCarthy tab.
  • Capris/shorts with eagle emblem.
  • Pants/capris/shorts are worn at waist level.
  • Pants are neatly hemmed to an appropriate length and are not to be cuffed, nor tucked into socks.
  • Capris are not to be rolled up and the eagle emblem must be visible in the correct position.
  • Walking shorts must be no more than 12 cm above the knee. Pants, capris and shorts are not to be rolled or altered in any way.
  • Only bare legs, plain navy or skin-tone hosiery (footless leggings are not allowed) are acceptable to be worn with the shorts.
SCHOOL SWEATERS (Optional)
  • McCarthy navy fleece vest with eagle emblem. Uniform shirt required underneath.
  • Full zippered sweater A uniform shirt is not required under this sweater. You may wear any colour of plain T-shirt, the same as under the golf shirt, however, the zipper needs to be done up, so the Tshirt is not visible.
  • McCarthy vest and sweater with traditional crest-uniform shirt required underneath.
  • Must be worn over uniform shirts.
TIE (Optional)
  • Navy tie with school crest
  • Ties must be worn in conventional manner, under the collar with a tie knot at the neck.
SHOES
  • Dress shoes, running shoes or sandals
NOTE: The Oxford shirt is no longer an option to purchase; however, students who have already
purchased this item may continue to wear it completely tucked in with no more than two buttons undone. All Uniform Items are not to be altered in any way stylistically. For example, pants, capris or shorts are not to be shortened, rolled or made narrower by adjusting the seams.
All non-uniform clothing must remain in your locker. Headwear of any kind, wristbands, excessive jewelry, scarves and accessories are not to be worn.

St. Mary's High School, Kitchener, Ontario

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

if they hang out, men are going to look be it a teacher or a preacher and some men have better control than others...

we had a high school teacher who always stood at the bottom of the stairs when classes were changing he was always gazing up, he also had a tendency to put the sign-out sheet up high...he was a pencil dropper too...pencil would hit the floor right around the time girls had asked to leave the room and it got dropped right behind them

Okay, that's just gross. Didn't need that this morning, took away my up beat feeling, it now matches the weather outside, dull and cloudy.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

That guy was bordering on perversity.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Okay, that's just gross. Didn't need that this morning, took away my up beat feeling, it now matches the weather outside, dull and cloudy.
he was harmless but we all knew he was a perv

it's good for kids to learn this in a safe environment...let's you know what's out there...it was good prep.

That guy was bordering on perversity.
nah it was blatant...

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I put all our rules up in my post on page one...they are very strict rules for high school...much more relaxed for the tots

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Talk to teens? Are you high?

Funnily enough if you've raise your kids well and you've had a great relationship with them, you'll be able to have an intelligent conversation with your teen. I was with my teenage daughter. In fact we rarely fought and we discussed everything. Imagine, treat your children like humans and treat your teenagers like they matter and they'll also think they matter and won't need to pull away and rebel.

on the other hand I don't think azz hugging shorts that are cut right up to their crotch or spaghetti strapped tops with v-necks and major cleavage need to be worn to school, no muscle shirts etc.

There is also the fact that different body types change the look of an outfit. Growing up, as a stick chick I could get away with wearing certain types of clothing then someone who had way more curves and bigger boobs. On me the clothing looked fine. On someone else it looked provocative.

If I was going to school in Saudi Arabia, I'm sure it is.. ;)

But honestly take a look around the world at the most successful education systems around the world..

Japan..

Have you read about the suicide rate in Japan?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There is also the fact that different body types change the look of an outfit. Growing up, as a stick chick I could get away with wearing certain types of clothing then someone who had way more curves and bigger boobs. On me the clothing looked fine. On someone else it looked provocative.
yes I was stick chick too...and clothing does hang differently on various body types

I did not ever have to wear a uniform either...