Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWinchesterStar/050606/Area_soldier.asp

Soldier Picks Up WhereHe Left Off
Army Reserve Sergeant Returns to School, Work After Serving in Kuwait, Iraq

By Linda McCarty
The Winchester Star

John Russell was studying music before his Army Reserve unit was activated and sent to Kuwait in 2003.

John Russell’s life is on track again now that he is back from an overseas stint in the Army Reserve. He will be returning to school to complete his music degree in the fall. Meanwhile he is teaching band as a substitute instructor at James Wood Middle School.
(Photo by Scott Mason)

Now he’s back home teaching music and adjusting to civilian life again.

“I’ve pretty much fallen back into the routine at home,” said Russell, who arrived back in Winchester on Feb. 25.

Since the spring, Russell has been substitute teaching at James Wood Middle School.

“I’m teaching an overflow band class of sixth-graders for a teacher who was injured in a car accident on Interstate 81,” Russell said.

He’s also playing an E-flat alto horn with the Winchester area-based Tuscarora Brass Band, a re-creation of the 26th North Carolina Regimental Band.

Once the county’s schools are on summer break, Russell will work in his uncle’s landscaping business and start college again in the fall.

Russell was studying music at West Virginia University, when he was called into active duty.

“I will graduate in two years, and then I want to teach,” Russell said.

“He would be graduating right now, if he hadn’t joined the Army Reserve,” said Russell’s girlfriend, Cindy Settle.

Russell, a 2001 James Wood High School graduate, arrived in Kuwait with other members of the 301st Signal Co. on Feb. 17, 2004.

“The company’s main body was stationed in Kuwait, with assignments to Iraq,” said Russell, a sergeant.

Russell’s job in Iraq included running phone and Internet lines of fiber optics and copper at military bases, including one in Balad, a city in northern Iraq.

This photo provided by John Russell shows the Army Reserve sergeant on the job in Iraq, where he installed lines of copper and fiber optics for phone and Internet access.

When he was working in Balad, Russell said he had the opportunity to go outside the perimeter and visit an Iraqi school that had been renovated by U.S. soldiers and had 160 students and six classrooms.

“We took the kids care packages with hygiene products and food,” Russell said. “To see the smiles on their faces made it the best time I had over there.”

Russell said he was never greeted with hostility by the Iraqis or local nationals.

“I don’t think people here see any of the good things going on in Iraq,” Russell said, “and I don’t know why because there are a lot of good things going on.”

Russell said, though, that he did experience some scary times.

“I was scared when we traveled in convoys or when attacks came close to the base, but you learn to just move on and put it behind you,” he said.

The toughest part of being in Iraq was missing his family — including Settle, his parents, John and Melinda Russell, and his sister and brother, Elizabeth and Charlie.

“But I enjoyed my job over there, so that helped keep my mind off my family for a good part of the day,” Russell said. “It also helped that I was able to stay in touch on the Internet and through phone calls.”

Russell got a two-week leave last June and came home.
This photo provided by John Russell shows him visiting Iraqi children in a school renovated by U.S. soldiers. Russell took care packages to the children while on assignment in the country.

“It was good to be home, but it was hard saying goodbye again at the airport,” he said.

Russell said his primary focus since coming home has been adjusting to civilian life.

“When I got here, I just took a step back to watch and see how they did things without me and that let me know what I should do,” Russell said. “It’s worked.”

He also had to catch up on his relationship with Settle.

“It was definitely rough being apart,” Settle said. “It took a whole year out of our relationship, but I believe it’s made it stronger.”

Settle said it’s still hard for her to believe that Russell is actually home.

“It’s like, ‘Oh my gosh,’” she said, “you’re really here.”

“I’m absolutely glad to be home,” Russell said. “Compared to over there, I feel safe in all aspects of my life here.”

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well jimmy those might be a simple soldiers thoughts, unfortuneatly there are many of us that know its just not that simple. Simple simon says try again :p

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
That's okay Peapod. It is just one soldier's brief little story. That's all.

I'm sure you know more than he does even if you've never been there, because readers are like spies, and well, heck, there's a whole floor of a building 40 miles east of here dedicated to those who read stories. And then they do book reports and hand them in.

But...
This story is just of a young man who's back home now and who has lived outside of the headlines.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: A simple soldier's th

How many others are in veteran's hospitals wondering where their arms and legs are, Jim? This is nothing but a piece of sentimental slop designed to keep people from thinking of the implications of the policies of the Bush regime.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
If you tie everything to an agenda, you might miss some subtle details.

You have all of the moral force of a religious zealot armed with unassailable knowlege. You don't have to give up your crusade, but take that yellow submarine down in to the deep and go quiet so you can hear the pings.

The ping in this story is of a very unpolitical, non-verbal young man who is back home in quiet relief, feeling some adjustment from a wife who is also adjusting and who has a knowledge about a few good things despite all the evil and terror around him and none of it renounces your crusade.

This isn't either/or.

This is just a moment to hear someone outside of our very insulated bubble of headlines, debates, agendas, crusades.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Re: RE: A simple soldier's th

Reverend Blair said:
How many others are in veteran's hospitals wondering where their arms and legs are, Jim? This is nothing but a piece of sentimental slop designed to keep people from thinking of the implications of the policies of the Bush regime.

I read an article about this and they were still motivated and proud of their service. I am sorry pandering to your view of the way you want them to act. They do not want to be exploited by you people.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Great article Jim. Thanks for posting it and showing them what is really happening over there and not just their lies.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Nice story but that boy was a long way from downtown Baghdad stationed in Kuwait :? How about a story from somebody in Falluja there Jim :(

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
I've already missed saving a few personal accounts of the soldiers in Fallujah, but will start saving them, not for any point of view, but just as a story, and most novelists will tell you that THE STORY trumps anyone's bias, trumps any cause du jour.

It would be like the story of the battle of Anzio in Italy during WWII. It was a real cluster campaign culminating in the capture of Rome on the same day of the Normandy invasion. You read stories about any war and you will know that every soldier in any war never has the convenience of everything he needs and must do with what he's got and everything, EVERYTHING, even in a righteous war narrows down to your buddies.

And then one day, if you're lucky, you go home, but nothing's the same is it?

None of this conspires in favor of anyone's political rant of the moment. None of it has any bearing on the crusade du jour.

They will always let you know that.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Like I told you before, tying every thing you see and read to an agenda will make you miss any subtlety or nuance in the person before you.

We are not props for your morality play.

We are the Elephant Man, the beauty of which you will not quiet yourself enough to see.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

But you have your agenda, Jim. You keep trying to divert atention away from the real effects of war and justify, or at least minimize, the role your country plays in perpetuating war and killing people.

Besides, you claimed that novelists claim that the story trumps anyone bias. I have yet to meet a writer of fiction who does not try to influence people to his agenda through his writing.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Jim, the story you posted has all the markings of an op-ed piece. The soldier in the story had a swan job that kept him from having RPG's whizzing past his melon...

Now if he had seen some real action, and had an arm or a leg blown off, and after his lengthy convalescence, still wanted to bring the schoolkids toilet paper and a toothbrush, then it would be more thought provoking and might convince me that he is a truly noble soul, fighting for what's right through a bad set of circumstances...

But you and I both know that's not the case...

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
But Reverend Blair, those same writers are writing a STORY, not an ESSAY. Go cogitate that one.

And to take time to give flesh and blood and character is not exactly efficient for any narrow agenda.

The story often goes in unexpected ways for even the writers themselves, and so the story will always escape the cage.

Sure we know that a story has greater impact than the essay, but the story often contains seeds of ambiguity if its a story that aspires beyond a simple illustration, if it aspires to be art.

A good essay is premeditated BUT a story organically grows not always with the original ending or midway first visualized.

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Don't try to change the subject !!!

Ever hear that one?
They see your attempt to bring in another issue as having no relationship to the issue they are discussing.

They look at each issue as though it is an island not touched by the waves from another shore.

The best example of this "don't change the subject," is the idea of the GOOD CAUSE. No GOOD CAUSE will submit to the issue of shared resources. Shared resources is another topic. Not relevant. Not germane.

YOU'RE EITHER FOR IT.
OR, well you know, how it is.

But could it be that no GOOD CAUSE is an island? Don't all GOOD CAUSES compete with each other for the same resources? It is the difference between a child who sees no connection and to an adult that needs to prioritize and accept in their maturity such compromise is never perfect.

EXCUSES they yell.

Such behavior, however, is to be distrusted, demonized.

And so the pebble is a french fry and if you don't understand, that's okay. But I know there is somebody out there that can tell the connection between two seeming unconnected objects.

Just make sure you come ARMED WITH THE FACTS !!!

Does that REALLY make you different from all those other zealots ??

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
But Reverend Blair, those same writers are writing a STORY, not an ESSAY. Go cogitate that one.

And a good story will affect the reader, and a good writer...be it fiction or non-fiction...will seek to affect the reader in the way he wants. I look around this room full of books and every one of those books carries a message, or sometimes many messages. It doesn't matter whether it is Stephen King or Henry Miller or Hunter Thompson or James Morrow. Those messages do not get there by accident.

Go cogitate yourself.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Nope. And they weren't lost on the writers of the books, the singers of the songs, or the chiselers of the statues either.

The message is still there. Always. Think of the collected works of Bill Gibson. He invented the sub-genre of cyber-punk. He wrote about cyber cowboys hacking computers in a dysfunctional world. There are no good guys in Gibson's books. It's all conflict and anti-heroes and deeply flawed characters doing things for reasons of their own...never altruistic reasons either.

The thing is that he did that, or at least started it, in the age of Reagan, and the world in Mona Lisa Overdrive is really Droolin' Ronnie's Amerika extrapolated into the future.