A National Shame?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And from what I understand guys in jail. :smile:
Yep. that would fall under the poor getting what they need, in TP's post.

While you or I wait up to 6 months.

In the States, it took me less then 24 hours, to get an MRI and the surgery I needed.

And I'm no hockey player.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yep. that would fall under the poor getting what they need, in TP's post.

While you or I wait up to 6 months.

In the States, it took me less then 24 hours, to get an MRI and the surgery I needed.

And I'm no hockey player.

I'm of the opinion that the two systems are about equal, one maybe better for certain people and certain situations, the other better for some people and other situations. I think if I had my choice I would opt for a private system and buy the insurance I need with the suitable deductable. I think I'm better at caring for my own health than any bureaucracy. Having said that my choice wouldn't serve the destitute, which is one reason I'm not in favour of a single tier system.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm of the opinion that the two systems are about equal, one maybe better for certain people and certain situations, the other better for some people and other situations.
I agree.

I think if I had my choice I would opt for a private system and buy the insurance I need with the suitable deductable. I think I'm better at caring for my own health than any bureaucracy.
Again, I agree.
Having said that my choice wouldn't serve the destitute, which is one reason I'm not in favour of a single tier system.
And again, I agree. Which is why the two different systems have their benefits.

In there is a happy balance.

Only no one is willing to take the steps to find it. The left blames the right for trying to privatize Tommy's legacy, and the right has to deal with the monster the left has created.

Salary caps, mushrooming administration and so on.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I agree.

Again, I agree.
And again, I agree. Which is why the two different systems have their benefits.

Only no one is willing to take the steps to find it. The left blames the right for trying to privatize Tommy's legacy, and the right has to deal with the monster the left has created.

Salary caps, mushrooming administration and so on.

Now, if the rest of the country could be so smart. :smile:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Not in Canada's partisan political climate.

I don't believe that Tommy's vision of healthcare was ever intended to represent a free-for-all in terms of consumption and amplified by the sense of the consumer's entitlement under the guise of a 'right'.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't believe that Tommy's vision of healthcare was ever intended to represent a free-for-all in terms of consumption and amplified by the sense of the consumer's entitlement under the guise of a 'right'.
Nor do I believe he had trans gender operations in mind either.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No doubt... But it wasn't so long ago that a lobby group for the transgender-in-waiting community were pissing and moaning that there right to access the medical system for this life threatening condition was being impeded.
And if I remember correctly, they won.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
All a moot discussion,

I'm too young to abuse the system like you old boomer farts who are beginning to break down. By the time I am old enough to start pestering the doctors, Canadian healthcare would have long since been cut in austerity programs.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
All a moot discussion,

I'm too young to abuse the system like you old boomer farts who are beginning to break down. By the time I am old enough to start pestering the doctors, Canadian healthcare would have long since been cut in austerity programs.

Well, you probably wouldn't have paid very much into it anyway. :lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Joffen: How can you say the American system is better when it's the HMO's making the decisions on whether or not you can have a procedure rather than doctors? I find that incomprehensable! And yes, we have problems in our system - bigs ones too! But you know what? Unlike my girlfriend who lives down there, if I needed a Hysterectomy even if I had to wait for a time, I'd get it. Down there, she just suffers because she can't afford it and doesn't have the insurance she needs to cover the cost.. How is that right?

If your friend needed a hysterectomy down here... who says she wouldn't get it?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If your friend needed a hysterectomy down here... who says she wouldn't get it?

Okay... gonna get a bit graphic here. Squeamish boys, plug your ears, cover your eyes, just generally get out of the thread.

I had a hysterectomy almost two years ago. I had hit the point where I was house bound one week of the month, and may as well have just been wearing a diaper for what it took to try to keep up with the level of bleeding I was experiencing. The pain was all the time, not just when menstruating, due to the lining of my uterus actually infiltrating the uterine walls. Yet, given all that, my hysterectomy was still seen as elective by medical standards. I was warned of that when going in... that my surgery could be bumped by those with more pressing need (ie., a prolapse, an ectopic pregnancy, a cancer discovery, etc.) Under many health insurance plans in the US, to my understanding, elective surgery is not covered. Only medical NEED is. The way 'need' gets defined can be very different things in the eyes of the patient, of the doctor, and of the insurance company.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Okay... gonna get a bit graphic here. Squeamish boys, plug your ears, cover your eyes, just generally get out of the thread.

I had a hysterectomy almost two years ago. I had hit the point where I was house bound one week of the month, and may as well have just been wearing a diaper for what it took to try to keep up with the level of bleeding I was experiencing. The pain was all the time, not just when menstruating, due to the lining of my uterus actually infiltrating the uterine walls. Yet, given all that, my hysterectomy was still seen as elective by medical standards. I was warned of that when going in... that my surgery could be bumped by those with more pressing need (ie., a prolapse, an ectopic pregnancy, a cancer discovery, etc.) Under many health insurance plans in the US, to my understanding, elective surgery is not covered. Only medical NEED is. The way 'need' gets defined can be very different things in the eyes of the patient, of the doctor, and of the insurance company.

Did you REALLY think there was one guy who wasn't going to read the post? :lol: Glad you got that ordeal remedied.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Elective Surgery definition...

An elective surgery is a planned, non-emergency surgical procedure. It may be either medically required (e.g., cataract surgery), or optional (e.g., breast augmentation or implant) surgery.

So even though it is elective, it does not mean you will not be covered. There is a difference between getting a hysterectomy and getting breast implants.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Elective Surgery definition...

An elective surgery is a planned, non-emergency surgical procedure. It may be either medically required (e.g., cataract surgery), or optional (e.g., breast augmentation or implant) surgery.

So even though it is elective, it does not mean you will not be covered. There is a difference between getting a hysterectomy and getting breast implants.

Reading Dixie it didn't sound like she was talking about a hypothetical though Eagle... it sounded like she was talking about an actual situation.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Reading Dixie it didn't sound like she was talking about a hypothetical though Eagle... it sounded like she was talking about an actual situation.

I just read it twice and it does sound hypothetical.

Again... elective means non-emergency.

An HMO isn't paying for a breast job but they are paying for a hysterectomy. Elective Surgery CAN be medically required.