A Harper majority would harm Canada and the world.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
BTW Unforgiven, according to last week's Globe and Mail, the cost of Conservative promises so far is 2.9 billion dollars. The cost of Liberal promises? 4.2 billion bucks. So much for responsible fiscal management.

BTW, the NDP and Gree Party promises both stacked up into the tens of billions.
Yep the liberals would have us in the red in no time... the green and NDP are a waste of a vote.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'm voting for Harper, as the lesser of the evils, just so that the liberals don't get back in,
it's not because I think Harper is a great leader. I'm really an NDPer, at heart, but I have
to do this for a reason, it's a vote 'against' the liberals.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
A promise doesn't cost a frickkin thing! That's why they make them. Where is Harper's child care? Wasn't that last election's promise? Geez ... have none of you ever been through an election before?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A promise doesn't cost a frickkin thing! That's why they make them. Where is Harper's child care? Wasn't that last election's promise? Geez ... have none of you ever been through an election before?

Excuse me?

Harper promised 1200 bucks per year for kids under 6 years of age.....duly delivered.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Excuse me?

Harper promised 1200 bucks per year for kids under 6 years of age.....duly delivered.

It costs more than that per month to put a kid in daycare. That hundred bucks a month doesn't even cover the ride to and from nursary school. How is that incentive? Then he cut funding which drove some out of business and forced survivors to up their fees again. Harper needs to learn some reality ... or take a lesson from Quebec....

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It costs more than that per month to put a kid in daycare. That hundred bucks a month doesn't even cover the ride to and from nursary school. How is that incentive? Then he cut funding which drove some out of business and forced survivors to up their fees again. Harper needs to learn some reality ... or take a lesson from Quebec....

Here's the rub......the vast majority of daycare spaces are used by urban professional making 6 figures a year. The simple fact is, subsidized or not, the lower wage working families don't use them. I didn't. My family income in the 80s and 90s when we were raising kids never hit 70,000........with both parents working full time. We hired friends, relatives, and on occassion, privately hired people to come into our homes because we had no chance to transport, nor could we afford day care.

day care is over-whelmingly for affluent soccer moms.

therefore creating daycare spaces does not help the ones that need it most.

$100 month does.....only a little, but it helps.

I'd rather it was 250.00 a month, with an income ceiling on who gets it.......but everyone seems to love universality.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Earth as One:

Seriously a Million people have not died in Iraq due to the war. I don't think you fully understand how many a million is in country of basically 23 million (as Kurdistan is largely untouched).

Your looking at a death rate (before normal death of age etc) of four and a half percent, give or take. That kind of death rate is unprecedented in human history, even amongst people who TRY to have high death rates.

Its not even plausible propaganda, its just a big number thrown out there that no one even truly understands. They may as well scream a trillion people died in Iraq.

Seriously, recent surveys by independant polling agencies like Opinion Reseach Business and Lancet estimate about a million people have died violently as a result of the Harper supported US led war crimes in Iraq. I already posted these references to your denials here:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/76956-more-america-bashing-2.html#post985865

Many people here have misperceptions regarding this war. For example you claimed Hussein was committing genocide at the time the US invaded. But even US government sources attibute no deaths to Hussein from 2002-March 2003. During 2000-2001 the US government attributed 275 executions to Hussein. Follow the link above.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Here's the rub......the vast majority of daycare spaces are used by urban professional making 6 figures a year. The simple fact is, subsidized or not, the lower wage working families don't use them. I didn't. My family income in the 80s and 90s when we were raising kids never hit 70,000........with both parents working full time. We hired friends, relatives, and on occassion, privately hired people to come into our homes because we had no chance to transport, nor could we afford day care.

day care is over-whelmingly for affluent soccer moms.

therefore creating daycare spaces does not help the ones that need it most.

$100 month does.....only a little, but it helps.

I'd rather it was 250.00 a month, with an income ceiling on who gets it.......but everyone seems to love universality.
That is not the reality of today Colpy. Relatives and friends are trying to make their own finances work, not pull discounted favors for others. Those who look after other kids are charging market rates. It is a serious problem. Not just for families but employers looking for good employees.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Harper called this election because he figured he would win a majority. I fear he will be right. His party is well funded and currently swamping the airwaves with propaganda. As a result, most Canadians will vote based on media induced misperceptions and manipulations rather than issues or reality. People will vote for Harper because he looks and sounds like a leader, seems personable and wears a blue sweater. I doubt his record of supporting American war crimes will be a factor when most Canadian's vote.

Until now Harper's ability to dictate his agenda has been limited by his minority government status. But give Harper a majority and he will impose his Bush neocon inspired hidden agenda on us. That means zero progress on environmental issues, tax breaks for the extremely wealthy and deficit financing.

Once Harper has his majority, he will likely work the levers of government to overwhelm us with hate and fear mongering propaganda in order to generate support for his failed motion to send Canadians into Iraq to fight terrorists and defend Canada's national security.

Consider also that if the US starts a war with Iran, do we really want "Mission from God" neocon Harper representing us?

We should take a long hard look at Harper before we hand him a majority. Most Americans now regret electing Bush. Canadians don't have to make the same mistake in this election.

Canadians should consider the benefits of a liberal minority government. Dion has no hope of winning a majority and he doesn't appear to be as authoritarian as Harper or tough as Layton. Since Dion appears comfortable leading by consenus, he would likely do an excellent job as a minority PM. He would work to find compromises everyone can agree on.

If you are on the "Anyone But Conservative" slant like myself, consider voting for any conservative alternative based on who had the best showing in your riding in 2006. You can find that information here:

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/results.html

Follow the link to your province and then find your riding...

For the first time in my life, I'm going to vote Liberal, because my riding will be a close race between the Liberals and the Conservatives. Normally I would vote NDP or Green. I hope Liberals out there vote NDP or Green if the Liberals have no chance against the Conservatives where you live.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Seriously, recent surveys by independant polling agencies like Opinion Reseach Business and Lancet estimate about a million people have died violently as a result of the Harper supported US led war crimes in Iraq. I already posted these references to your denials here:

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/76956-more-america-bashing-2.html#post985865

Many people here have misperceptions regarding this war. For example you claimed Hussein was committing genocide at the time the US invaded. But even US government sources attibute no deaths to Hussein from 2002-March 2003. During 2000-2001 the US government attributed 275 executions to Hussein. Follow the link above.

Actually, no, I claimed he HAD committed genocide. And he had. Thats one of the things that kicked off the civil war that was raging during the invasion.

Your claim seems to be that there is a statute of limitations on gassing villages and bulldozing all the men, women and children into ditches. Apparently thats 15 years give or take.

And the research is not just that, research. It is not scientific information gathering.

I don't know why you insist on trying to rewrite history to turn a genocidal dictator into a saint, but by all international laws, the invasion of Iraq was 15 years too late.

Don't forget, the offer to send Saddam and his two boys to trial rather than invasion was made beforehand.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
. I doubt his record of supporting American war crimes will be a factor when most Canadian's vote.

Until now Harper's ability to dictate his agenda has been limited by his minority government status. But give Harper a majority and he will impose his Bush neocon inspired hidden agenda on us. That means zero progress on environmental issues, tax breaks for the extremely wealthy and deficit financing.

Once Harper has his majority, he will likely work the levers of government to overwhelm us with hate and fear mongering propaganda in order to generate support for his failed motion to send Canadians into Iraq to fight terrorists and defend Canada's national security.

Consider also that if the US starts a war with Iran, do we really want "Mission from God" neocon Harper representing us?

quote]

Eos, vote any way you like, that's your right.......but try to stick somewhere close to reality in your claims against Harper.

If nothing else, Saddam was the war criminal, and in violation of the cease-fire agreed to at the end of the First Gulf War, and a genocidal mass murderer. "Well, he hadn't murdered a few thousand on the week of the invasion" doesn't cut it. Not that I give a damn, but the invasion of Iraq was not a "war crime" in the mind of anyone that gives a crap about genocidal killers.....

Compared to Bush, Harper is a screaming lefty......trying to smear Harper with the "Bush neo-con" label is simply a lie.....Harper has dragged the Conservative Party solidly into the centre, kicking and screaming. I know, I was one of the screamers. "neo-con???" Hardly!!!
Some progress on pollution, not taxing us to death and sending the money to China, and we've had surpluses for the last two years, and what tax breaks to the wealthy???
Reality, EOS, try to deal with reality.

You think Harper will send troops to Iraq NOW??? That is simply laughable. Good Lord, the US is talking about getting out within two years....

And any attack on Iran will be a single strike done by Israel.

Alone.

The accusations you make are false and empty. It is, I submit, irresponsible to try to mislead the voters in such a way.

Shame! Shame!

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
There oughta be a law against candidates electioneering on this website:angryfire: How am I guessing that a pol is here? Because of the idiotic drivel coming from them.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Harper has had a majority since he got in!! No other party ever even came close to bringing the government down. The general public likes the plain talk of this administration...hence they are going up in the polls. Protecting heath care as it stands is a usless concept. If anyone has used our system of late they know of the fatal flaws in it. My wife has been going through cancer treatments of late..we know exactly whats going on..and private deliver of the system would be very helpful indeed!
I didn't say private funding (before someone jumps on this) I say private delivery. How here can tell me of any government agency that runs well , healthcare is no different. There is nothing wrong with actually opening the books, looking at the system and trying something new...what we have kills people!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Harper has had a majority since he got in!! No other party ever even came close to bringing the government down. The general public likes the plain talk of this administration...hence they are going up in the polls. Protecting heath care as it stands is a usless concept. If anyone has used our system of late they know of the fatal flaws in it. My wife has been going through cancer treatments of late..we know exactly whats going on..and private deliver of the system would be very helpful indeed!
I didn't say private funding (before someone jumps on this) I say private delivery. How here can tell me of any government agency that runs well , healthcare is no different. There is nothing wrong with actually opening the books, looking at the system and trying something new...what we have kills people!

It's called a (Progressive) Conservative government hiding behind different colours

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Sometimes people have their own views that don't nicely line up with one of the 3-5 parties on center stage.

Imagine that, more than 3-5 viewpoints in the world :p