A Harper majority would harm Canada and the world.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Hi, I see you quoted and responded to my posting, thanks for the attention. I must apologise for the large print.. There you do have a point. Imported the comment and it grew... couldn't figure out how to shrink it..
I do appreciate your criticism, and will do my best to use a font more suitable..

And while your comment, that large print "does not make it true," is correct.. and succinct, it is equally correct that a criticism of the font or type size I used is not really a valid response to the content, no matter how disparaging the manner in which it is put...

I would encourage you to reread the posting, with my apology for the font - sit back from the computer if you must - and think about it.. and if you have any questions or comments pertinent to the content, please post them. [I won't - oh, maybe I will- make a comment on large print as opposed to fine; if my error is in putting my thoughts in large print, I am at least not culpable of having hidden anything nasty in the fine print.]

Of course the Conservatives have beggared this country with free trade. "Canada is Open for Business," wasn't that the guy who began free trade... of course it was. Famous quote, that. And since free trade has been instituted, how many businesses have 'gone south?'

Perhaps I was a bit hasty in my earlier note.. I should have said more.
Need I remind you that free trade was on the PC platform and the Citizens of Canada voted in favor of it....

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Need I remind you that free trade was on the PC platform and the Citizens of Canada voted in favor of it....

Need I remind you that many Canadians new from day one that free trade will be nothing but SWISS CHEESE, full of wholes all over......WORKED FOR SOME BUT hirt the majority of hard working Canadians.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Need I remind you that many Canadians new from day one that free trade will be nothing but SWISS CHEESE, full of wholes all over......WORKED FOR SOME BUT hirt the majority of hard working Canadians.
If many Canadians knew that there were holes in it why did they vote for it???? It might have hurt a few but certainly not the majority of Canadians. You liberals like to exagerate...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If many Canadians knew that there were holes in it why did they vote for it???? It might have hurt a few but certainly not the majority of Canadians. You liberals like to exagerate...

I don't give a damn about your version of a majority.... Free Trade/GST put me out of business ... 3/4 of a million dollars in net worth was not mere HURT either. Only they who are so Tory they'd vote for a blue fencepost voted FOR Free Trade.

You Tories like to bury your heads in the sand.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I don't give a damn about your version of a majority.... Free Trade/GST put me out of business ... 3/4 of a million dollars in net worth was not mere HURT either. Only they who are so Tory they'd vote for a blue fencepost voted FOR Free Trade.

You Tories like to bury your heads in the sand.
My head isn't buried in the sand. If I mismanaged my company and it went out of business, I'd admit it. Its easy to point fingers...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My head isn't buried in the sand. If I mismanaged my company and it went out of business, I'd admit it. Its easy to point fingers...

Mismanaged? I don't think so. Damned right it's easy to point fingers. When LaFarge Limited signs went up at Standard Aggregates (my contract) and Canada Cement (the destination) AFTER the slump in concrete sales due to GST, these pointing fingers were deadly accurate.

Head burial in sand is appropriate for ye with an ass exposed to a boot.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Mismanaged? I don't think so. Damned right it's easy to point fingers. When LaFarge Limited signs went up at Standard Aggregates (my contract) and Canada Cement (the destination) AFTER the slump in concrete sales due to GST, these pointing fingers were deadly accurate.

Head burial in sand is appropriate for ye with an ass exposed to a boot.
A slump in concrete sales as a result of the GST??? What a joke, get your head out of your butt.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006

Good pal Risus,……………..LW is on the money, he doesn’t need me for support but, I too lost a business which I had for many many years, between GST and free trade the two were the nails used on my business coffin, the end result I had to sell the properties my business was on to spare my home…., all because the GST was badly legislated by allowing the privet buyers buy private and pay no GST…………and …… all off a sudden an under ground market has been created and the fallout is business and the economy are suffering under the Conservatives, the same happened with Free Trade badly legislated, no balls at the time FOR Mulroney to tell the Americans that Free Trade should benefit all three Canada US and Mexico, not the US FIRST ON A 20 TO 5 RATIO…..20 good reasons for the US AND 5 ONLY GOOD REASONS FOR CANDA, just because the negotiator at the time Lying Brian was more interested in suck-olling to the South instead of looking after the Canadian people,…………….that is the Conservative Mulroney legacy……For some, Free Trade was a darling but for many more it was down and out disasterus, Risus I am sure you know al these and you are entitled to the strong core loyalty, nothing wrong with that as long as we can work hard to keep these pricks honest……..LW is on the money with his synopses………Interesting to see what will happen…….

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That's why the economy of Canada has been in the sewer for the last 20 years, and unemployment has been at record high levels. I was wondering about that.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
...and WHEN did GST come into being?

You brought up the Free Trade red herring. Good thing you're a writer because you sure in hell can't read....
Man, you had better get reading glasses and look back in the posts. It wasn't me who brought up free trade....

Typical liberal with blinders...

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

I stand corrected. Sommy brought it up. This is the propagandized rebuttal that brought Free Trade into this heat. Now ... WHEN did GST come into being?

...and I'll have you know bifocals are the pits for reading a screen. Reading glasses are in the shop.

Last edited:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
That's why the economy of Canada has been in the sewer for the last 20 years, and unemployment has been at record high levels. I was wondering about that.

Thanks for clearing that up.

TenPenny, I'll have you know my wife is the Queen of Sarcasm..........but I think you got the position of Crown Prince..........:cool:

sommy

Sep 29, 2008
Hmm, yes, Free Trade was on the Tory platform.. here's a link to some of the hoopla.. http://archives.cbc.ca/economy_business/trade_agreements/topics/536/ for the history buff, for the music lover, there's even a clip of the Mulroney and Reagan, When Irish Eyes Are Smiling session.. and a debate with Mordecai Richler, where he takes the position that Free Trade won't hurt Canadian culture.. notable Richler quote...
"If I were trying to market this deal for the Tories I would run full page advertisements in newspapers throughout the other nine provinces. That ad would say "YOU CAN HELP SCREW ONTARIO. SUPPORT FREE TRADE." Of course the subject of the debate was culture, not ecomomy.. but he was right..
Whether the initial free trade agreement was good or not for Canada, isn't really the point I was trying to make though...
The point is what has happened with it since.. arguably the original intent..
Within a year, the US negotiated a similar deal with Mexico, and Canada pretty much had to follow. Goodbye Black and Decker.. Goodbye Westinghouse...
And subsequently, the doors have been opened to many countries, with a resulting influx of goods from abroad, more closures, and a reported diminishing of manufacturing across the country of 20 percent. It is in fact higher if gross sales from oil is not taken into account.
If you want to measure the long term effect of this policy, GO INTO ANY STORE YOU CHOOSE AND TRY TO FIND A SMALL APPLIANCE MADE IN CANADA.
You will find Mexico on some, but more China, Taiwan..

The fact of the matter is.. opening our doors to tariff free trade with economies around the world has resulted in a flood of products from abroad... and a damburst of bankruptcies and companies moving abroad to take advantage of cheap labour, in order to compete at all in our market.

We're pretty well in it now with the US, and were before free trade in fact.. we do run a surplus with our neighbour in gross sales [again oil.. but it's there.]

The aspect of free trade that needs to be addressed is worldwide trade, goods coming from outside the North American corridor. And frankly the US is in the same boat, and are feeling the pinch as well.

It is time our politicians put a tariff on goods from outside North America. The tariff should be equal to the tax that would be applicable to an equivalent item manufactured in Canada, and monies from the tax diverted into restarting industry within the country.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
I stand corrected. Sommy brought it up. This is the propagandized rebuttal that brought Free Trade into this heat. Now ... WHEN did GST come into being?

...and I'll have you know bifocals are the pits for reading a screen. Reading glasses are in the shop.
No problem!
I agree, bifocals and computers don't mix!
Not sure of the date GST was introduced, around the same time as free trade I believe.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
No problem!
I agree, bifocals and computers don't mix!
Not sure of the date GST was introduced, around the same time as free trade I believe.

That doesn't let you off the hook.

I gave you personal insight to where Free Trade/GST (Tory Policy) is not a good thing for working Canadians and you tried to deflect the ball out of their court. If you're in Ontario, do you enjoy paying crazy hydro bills due to Tory privatization then rewarding the CEOs who drove Hydro so deep in debt? In essence, we're doing our own billions dollar bail-out.

I did a little search and discovered in 2007, all Arts grants and awards totalled up to $120.5 million. This idiotic tax rebate - which is really only going to benefit the upper middle class and the well-off because who can afford to put kids in music, dance or drama classes when they're struggling to survive - is expected to cost around $150 million! There's Tory logic for ya!

Last edited: