A difference between learning ang knowing.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
i wouldnt say you offend. I just find it hard to ask a question and not have it answered. seriously I dont think badly of you, you seem warm and accepting and tolerant

I appreciate your kind remarks. I am content and sure in myself and can not be easily toppled of my perch.
I've lived and experienced enough to have gained some wisdom out of all of it.

Non-religiously speaking, book learning is fine, but class participation in field projects is better I think.

Peace>>>AJ:love9:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
gopher<
Here in the States, most of our Founders never saw the inside of a college. Yet, consider the great wisdom that they taught in their enactments and in the Constitution._____________________________

Right ,look at Lincoln ; he didn,t even finished his High School ; wise man.................. and then he got shot. Hm.

Last edited:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Gopher, there's a lot to be said for a classical education. I'm surprised in today's classrooms that the provincial ministries are so proud of the thinking skills their boards are imparting. I see little evidence of it but we're told at every turn that our kids now have thinking skills And these will allow them to embrace the new economy. Sounds like 'tard-think to me. You can't raise vital, energetic minds without imposing discipline and structure on them. Too little is expected of today's students in background support for what they do. Even the town idiot can be 'articulate' if yammering is all he's expected to do.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Walking the graduate walk - I had a black thought while pasting a smile on my face..... hoping nobody could read my mind and understand what I knew to be true.....

All those years of study and rote thinking and new thought and arguing and and and.....to know the lectures and long nights of reading, and books and experiments.... had only led me to another door to be opened..... it wasn't the 'end' it was the 'beginning'.

I knew so little of value.....that would have to be another phase.... how to apply the learning to the real world to be of any use.

Last edited:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Gopher, I am wise, am I not, fellow owl?
But who really gives a hoot what we fur-biscuits think!
I think the classrooms of the 60's did a great job. It wasn't until the early 70's that the posturers started to have influence. William Davis in Ontario embraced the system's decline. Made him feel smarter, the silly little prick.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
```Lincoln ; he didn,t even finished his High School ; wise man.................. and then he got shot. Hm. ```

He saved our Nation even though he knew that his life was in jeopardy. His sacrifice shows how much he loved this great Land. History gives us many examples of people who have sacrificed for the people and ideas that they cherish.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
```there's a lot to be said for a classical education```

In my years as an IRS agent, I was assigned the task of training new recruits. Most of my students were ex-business students with degrees in accounting, business, economics, or marketing. Perhaps not so strangely, I always found that my best students were those who had liberal arts backgrounds!

These students did not approach tax accounting and law with the type of rigidity that my business students did. Instead, they were intellectually FAR more flexible in their study approach. They were more readily able to absorb, integrate, learn, and utilize the material much faster than did the business students. As a consequence, many succeeded in applying the difficult material more ably.

Yes, we do need business and science courses in colleges. But I remain thoroughly and unalterably convinced that the use of "classical education" would make our youth into more able workers and more contributive citizens.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Gopher, you are making some wise observations here. We need more generalists, people armed with the know how and savvy to confront the future. Far too few of our young now demonstrate an awareness of their history, their culture and the world to be of much use other than as administrative gophers, with all due respect you know.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
That is why a forum such as this one serves as such a great outlet for people who wish to make this a better world for them. As elders, we can set good examples for them by reading books which impart wisdom. Many are sure to follow our example with the inevitable consequence that the world does become a better place for it.

My thanks to you and to all on this thread for their contributive efforts.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
gopher,
He saved our Nation even though he knew that his life was in jeopardy. His sacrifice shows how much he loved this great Land. History gives us many examples of people who have sacrificed for the people and ideas that they cherish_________________________________________________________

Agree with you 100% ,gopher . Here in Canada we also have our "patriots" :pET,Chretien, Martin and the "acrifices "they made for our country are well known throughout the world.

Last edited:

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
China, PET and Chretien are not known as patriots. That is an abomination of a statement. Pierre Trudeau was a self-obsessed tyrant who wanted nothing more than to mould the country into his own version of what a modern society should be. He cared little for public opinion and depended on the left, special interests and feminists to carry him in power. Chretien was a troubled corrupt little man who had simply lost any ability to set standards for his own party, a party that looted the public purse at will.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Perhaps one persons patriot is another persons tyrant. To each their own;)