Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
What is the matter with cornfields?

Shameless Plug time.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Okay, here's where the small town Canadian hick comes out in me. Please don't laugh, please don't think I'm a bigotted prick....but isn't lifting your face heavenward one of the hallmarks of black Christian prayer? Do you need him to lift his hands in the air at the same time and dance a little for it to be 'appropriate'?

And yes, my ENTIRE exposure to black Christians has been via television, so these are honest questions.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Okay, here's where the small town Canadian hick comes out in me. Please don't laugh, please don't think I'm a bigotted prick....but isn't lifting your face heavenward one of the hallmarks of black Christian prayer? Do you need him to lift his hands in the air at the same time and dance a little for it to be 'appropriate'?

And yes, my ENTIRE exposure to black Christians has been via television, so these are honest questions.

Karrie why do you hate Black people? ;-)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I'm not a black Christian, nor do I play one on television. (And for the record I laugh with you, not at you ;))

But I'm certain I have at times seen the gesture of eyes closed, head tilted back but with arms out, hands palm up during some prayers. Not sure where I've seen that but I'm sure I have. Usually with hands clasped in front, one tends to see the head bowed.

Maybe that impression comes from the iconic imagery of the black gospel congregations, particularly in the south? They've always impressed me as being very jubuliant and very open. Just going by body language alone, I would say that head tilted upwards is a more open gesture and downwards a more closed one.

I don't really know, just trying to reason it out.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm not a black Christian, nor do I play one on television. (And for the record I laugh with you, not at you ;))

But I'm certain I have at times seen the gesture of eyes closed, head tilted back but with arms out, hands palm up during some prayers. Not sure where I've seen that but I'm sure I have. Usually with hands clasped in front, one tends to see the head bowed.

Maybe that impression comes from the iconic imagery of the black gospel congregations, particularly in the south? They've always impressed me as being very jubuliant and very open. Just going by body language alone, I would say that head tilted upwards is a more open gesture and downwards a more closed one.

I don't really know, just trying to reason it out.

I tend to pray kneeling, head bowed, hands clasped, so to me, my abbreviated public version would be no more notable or odd than someone who is used to praying in that 'stereotype' southern fashion, abbreviating their typical prayer stance and simply tilting their head skyward.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''we have seen Obama in this pose several times during his presidency''

Really? This is news to me. I'm sure it is nothing more than a brief moment at that event. After all, we have seen countless photos of Bush's infamous smirk and his defenders all say it is nothing more than momentary:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
''we have seen Obama in this pose several times during his presidency''

And the point to that is what? There is no point, except that some people feel that the only way to pray or show respect is to bow your head.

It's more of the current attitude that there is only one proper way to do things in the US, and if you don't follow along with what the right wing decides is appropriate, you will be castigated in the media. It's now to the point where even some Canadians feel that there is only one way to pray.

Why not turn your head to the sky, close your eyes, and imagine the terror of the people who were, after all, up there? In fact, you could consider Bush and Co to be very disrespectful, for not looking up to the site of the tragedy. If you want to make an issue out of something pointless, it's easy to do so.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Maybe we should let 9-11 go now if all we're gonna talk about is head bobs.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Really? This is news to me. I'm sure it is nothing more than a brief moment at that event. After all, we have seen countless photos of Bush's infamous smirk and his defenders all say it is nothing more than momentary:
You have an amazing knack for missing the point and the gist of threads. This is the second post where you miss the target by a few hundred miles.

It's now to the point where even some Canadians feel that there is only one way to pray.
Who would that be?

If you want to make an issue out of something pointless, it's easy to do so.
And you're doing a fine job of it.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
There is no point, except that some people feel that the only way to pray or show respect is to bow your head.
You have to wonder, where is it written that you must bow your head in prayer? In biblical times people looked upward as they prayed to Heaven.

St Francis in prayer:

The Bible reveals that supplicants prayed on their knees, while prostrate, or while standing. It is NOT stated anywhere that they prayed with their eyes closed or looking at the ground while standing or feigning humility as some do.

You have an amazing knack for missing the point and the gist of threads. This is the second post where you miss the target by a few hundred miles.

Ho hum. Care to enlighten me once again?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
You do realize that all these politicians pray they are all praying they don't get caught doing
what they are really doing. Seriously are people so desperate about Obama that they now
resort to this. Why don't they go out and find a Republican Candidate who isn't crazy, that
might even have a chance to win. Talking to some of my relatives in the States who don't
like Obama say they will vote for him or not vote at all because the Republicans have been
hijacked by the Tea Party folk, who are not Republicans at all. I wonder if the militia groups
are out there in force along with the social conservatives looking to take control. Not that
they will but what a ride to the bottom for the who works of them.