A comment on Linux for the "average" user

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I am currently downloading Umbuto Linux. I expect to have it downloaded by about three this afternoon. Is there anything I should be careful of? Is this a fairly easy installation? Anything I should particularly watch for? Thanks

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: A comment on Linux fo

Mine installed on my back up hard drive quite easily. I wrote them and they sent me a live CD and a cd for hard drive install for free and they even paid the postage. Maybe they still send them?

Very simple installation. It has gnome not KDE but thats no biggy I guess. I like it. I do use Kanotix as my main distro and if I reboot it goes straight to kanotix unless I choose ubuntu. I have not had any problems wwith either.

I got mine in May so you probabley have the new one "Breezy Hedghog". I have "Hoary Hedgehog".

I just checked their site go to the "Shipit - Free CDs" right side, and they will send you the two disks for free and they will pay postage. Ubuntu will always be free. Link

Seriously though you will have no problems installing it. If I did not have Kanotix all set up for my liking, It would be a hard decision which distro to run as my main distro. They are both that good.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Thanks no1

I blew the first download. Completely blind, I downloaded the 64 bit install and my computer doesn't go there.(Windows 2000 Pro) I'm about halfway through the right download. We'll get it eventually, if I don't get too old waiting for downloads.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Judland said:
Jay said:
Judland said:
Or, find someone who uses Linux (or Mac for that matter), make them your friend :D ....

:lol:

Well, you know, I thought I'd give it a shot. :D

Don't mean to get off topic here, as many of my co-workers know I enjoy irritating MS-Windows users to no ends.....

I found Sony's response to the lawsuite interesting. They stated something along the lines of, if you read the agreement that accompanies every CD, it states that the user gives Sony the right to install software on your PC that they deem as necessary, and that if damages were to occurred, they'd only be liable for $5.00 per CD... lower than what you actually paid for the CD in the first place.

There's more to it, but you get the idea.

Just incase you weren't aware...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2005-11-15-sony-qa_x.htm

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver

Microsoft is going to add this as spyware to their antispyware tool so it will be removed in the future.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
no1 Important

I was a bit aprehensive about trying Linux again but today I installed umbutu Linux and I don't know why I was worried. I've been playing
all day. The mail program is simple. The office programs are at least as simple as Windows. Umbutu comes with Firefox which is the browser I use anyway. It seems steady as a rock but you know Windows 2000Pro is one of the least shabby of the windows OSs.

Thanks for your help.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I am glad things are working out. That open office is pretty sweet. What mail client you using? I did use K-mail but using thunderbird for the last 6 months or so.

Windows 2000 was probably the best Microsoft O/S.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
no1

So far I've only used Evolution Mail and it was simple to set up. I don't think I wil have any problems but if I do I can always get Thunderbird that I use with windows. I can't see having many problems other than trouble shooting. I've used Windows in one form or another for over ten years and can identify a lot of windows problems when they come up. I think that is what adds to the inertia of guys like me when it comes to changing to a completely different OS.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Jay said:
Judland said:
Jay said:
Judland said:
Or, find someone who uses Linux (or Mac for that matter), make them your friend :D ....

:lol:

Well, you know, I thought I'd give it a shot. :D

Don't mean to get off topic here, as many of my co-workers know I enjoy irritating MS-Windows users to no ends.....

I found Sony's response to the lawsuite interesting. They stated something along the lines of, if you read the agreement that accompanies every CD, it states that the user gives Sony the right to install software on your PC that they deem as necessary, and that if damages were to occurred, they'd only be liable for $5.00 per CD... lower than what you actually paid for the CD in the first place.

There's more to it, but you get the idea.

Just incase you weren't aware...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2005-11-15-sony-qa_x.htm

Now this....

Texas sues Sony under anti-spyware law

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8E10G202.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db

Judland

Electoral Member
#juan said:
no1 Important

I was a bit aprehensive about trying Linux again but today I installed umbutu Linux and I don't know why I was worried. I've been playing
all day. The mail program is simple. The office programs are at least as simple as Windows. Umbutu comes with Firefox which is the browser I use anyway. It seems steady as a rock but you know Windows 2000Pro is one of the least shabby of the windows OSs.

Thanks for your help.

Hey, good for you, juan! Welcome the world of open source! I'm sure you'll do well.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Anyone know of a descent program off hand to create a web page? I am going to try and make one, I have a shaw site ready to go.

I went to synaptic and seems many to chhose from like Bamboo, cherrypy, python albatross, quixote. Could I use open office? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Judland

Electoral Member
I know I already gave you some suggestions on another thread, No1, but I'll also post here in case others have the same question.

You can use OpenOffice as a WYSIWYG html editor. Works pretty well. However, there's a really nice app. called NVU which may be suitable for you.

It makes creating a web page easy for the novice and has a version for Linux, Mac and Windows... free of charge of course. Another excellent software application, thanks to Linux and the Open Source movement :wink:

I create webpages using Quanta Plus. It's a great html text editor for Linux and KDE.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Swiss Government Switches 3,000 Systems to Linux

A teaser:

Novell Inc. Tuesday announced an agreement with the government of Switzerland to convert 3,000 of its servers to the company's SUSE Linux operating system.

Operational efficiency and cost were key factors driving the Swiss government's decision to move to Linux, according to Novell.

Novell did not disclose the value of the contract but did say it was the first formal procurement of any Linux platform by the Swiss government.

"Linux has been gradually introduced into various government departments in recent years, but this is the first formalized procurement process regarding the introduction of Linux at a federal level," said Jurg Roemer, Delegate for Information Strategy of the Swiss Federal Government.

"The agreement we have reached applies to the entire Federal Government and will see the adoption of Novell's SUSE Linux throughout the Swiss federal administration." [/end teaser]

leobing

Feb 3, 2006
Okanagan valley
I have to agree with Judland. I am using KANOTIX and have tried almost every Linux version. I have XP on here but just so I can see what my friends are doing. They call me for help once in a while. XP is soo sloow compared to Linux. I have on my hard drive:Win 98, XP, Slackware 10.1, Slackware 10.2, Kanotix, Mepis, SuSe 10, Vector, and Gentoo. When I first tried Linux I bought RedHat 4. It was really hard to run. The install was quite easy but I was on dial-up and never got it to dial. A friend mentioned Caldera and I installed it and was on the internet in no time. I went from there to now with many versions of linux and each was easier than the last. I know! I learned from each version so it was not just easier, I had more experience but I have installed Kanotix on several friends computers and most are slowly dropping use of XP because of the ease of use in Kanotix. One of the nice things about Linux is the amount of software that comes on the cd. You will find that on Kanotix there is a software installer called klik. With it you get a menu with a huge list of software that you can select and it will download and install on your computer. You need know nothing about the innards of Linux for this.

Donuts

Feb 2, 2006
Vancouver B.C.
sealme.com

Standardization and 3rd party recognition are two of the many hurdles for linux to challenge the dominance of Windows family.

One could argue that Macs are very standardized and well recognized by hardware/software developers and consumers, Yet it still doesnt pose any significant threat to Windows.

But Mac has her own demon - the price. You can buy dirt cheap hardwares and get an *underground* copy of windows, and off you go. A few hundred bucks will do. And we all know how much a compariable Mac costs, and dont even think about the level of freedom on hardware that the mainstream offers.

Since GNU/Linux takes the advantage of cheap hardwares that Windows have, it could be a serious contender as a cheap alternative.

The sad fact of life is that two of the main reasons of Windows popularity is bundling and piracy. If Joe Average can get *free* windows and the kind of software/hardware support that windows has, I seriously doubt if there will ever be a significant drive for alternatives in the non-computer-savvy sector.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You got that right.

There was a flyer in yesterday's paper offering a tower case, a motherboard with a 26 gigahtz processor, a 160 gig hard drive, a DVD burner, a floppy drive, 500 meg of RAM and a 17 inch monitor plus keyboard for under six hundred dollars

A comparable Mac would cost five or six times that at least.

tawker

Electoral Member

What should be interesting is Google Ubuntu (or Gbuntu or whatever they're calling it.) 99% of users only need a simple interface to surf the net and get email on. Possibly OpenOffice.org. Any 3 year old machine can do that.

As for servers, I'm guessing CanadianContent is hosted on an AMD Athlon 2800+, 1GB of RAM and a couple 80GB hdds, server cost $250. My box runs my IP PBX and it's a PII 300mhz w/ 256 of cheap RAM. Guess what, it works quite well. No need for a GUI so it just flies.

Older computers do really well with Linux, you don't need a top computer to run it at all.