7 dead in California drive-by shootings

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
girls don't reject guys who drive BMW's and have their pockets filled with money = the guy was a genuine sicko and that's why the girls avoided him

Shame his problems couldn't be solved medically.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
they said on the news last night, that this guy was under the care of multiple psychiatrists and a social worker

they did try to help him, he was just too broken

he should have been institutionalized, but hindsight is 20/20

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Judging by the title of his 'manifesto' he knew that which is surprising. Usually crazy people don't know they are crazy.

No he didn't know it, he blamed everyone, and everything, else for what was wrong in his life. It was all about what he was 'forced to endure', about the 'cruel injustices' he faced that was, in his own words, pulled from his 'superior memory'.

Crazy is such a subjective term anyway. Obviously the viewpoint he's expressed in his 'manifesto' does not point to a balanced state of mental health but his own self-centered attitude seems to have been the main culprit behind his 'rejection from society'.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Now THAT was a creepy movie.
Book too.
Completely self absorbed psycho.

Nah. He was just crazy.

Nukkin futz (as Petros says)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, the good news is that right-wing legislators have thrown obstacles in the way of reporting systems, to make sure that people under the care of multiple psychiatrists and social workers can buy guns without that data showing up.

That's how Sung Hui Cho got his guns. That's how Elliot Rodger got his guns. Both were under mental health care.

Excellent work!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well, the good news is that right-wing legislators have thrown obstacles in the way of reporting systems, to make sure that people under the care of multiple psychiatrists and social workers can buy guns without that data showing up.

That's how Sung Hui Cho got his guns. That's how Elliot Rodger got his guns. Both were under mental health care.

Excellent work!
jesus, that is blood chilling

oops, guess that should have said bone chilling as it is blood curdling

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Usually when a crazy person goes on a killing spree, you find out their opinions and motivations are insane. Ideology hacks like to slot crazies into the opposing side and while those crazy people have opinions that may appear right wing or left wing on the surface, they aren't really what right wing and left wing people feel. It's just pure insanity.

In this case, however, the most disturbing thing is just how mainstream his opinions of women are. This man grew up in a society that thinks nothing of seeing women as non-persons whose sexuality men are entitled to, and who should be punished and ridiculed for rejecting male advances (not to mention punished and ridiculed for accepting them). Women aren't people to have relationships with, but things to be curated and acquired in the pursuit of happiness. Popular culture - movies, TV, music - caters to this fantasy. You will hear the complaints this man made about women made casually in social settings with men and all over the internet.

That's the problem. His views on women are widely accepted.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Usually when a crazy person goes on a killing spree, you find out their opinions and motivations are insane. Ideology hacks like to slot crazies into the opposing side and while those crazy people have opinions that may appear right wing or left wing on the surface, they aren't really what right wing and left wing people feel. It's just pure insanity.
Yep. Just like John Hinckley tried to assassinate Reagan "to impress Jodie Foster." Blaming Hinckley's actions on Jodie Foster would be as insane as Hinckley himself. Glad you'd never do that.

In this case, however, the most disturbing thing is just how mainstream his opinions of women are. This man grew up in a society that thinks nothing of seeing women as non-persons whose sexuality men are entitled to, and who should be punished and ridiculed for rejecting male advances (not to mention punished and ridiculed for accepting them). Women aren't people to have relationships with, but things to be curated and acquired in the pursuit of happiness. Popular culture - movies, TV, music - caters to this fantasy. You will hear the complaints this man made about women made casually in social settings with men and all over the internet.

Oops.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yep. Just like John Hinckley tried to assassinate Reagan "to impress Jodie Foster." Blaming Hinckley's actions on Jodie Foster would be as insane as Hinckley himself. Glad you'd never do that.

Oops.

You so completely missed my point that I don't even know where to begin in correcting. Other than, I guess, just repeating myself, but since you didn't get it the first time, why would you the second time? I'm sorry, but I don't have the patience.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Matt Gurney: Santa Barbara shooting was definition of ‘preventable.’ Six people died anyway

The most depressing part of last weekend’s mass shooting in Santa Barbara, California, other than the six dead and 13 wounded, of course, is the bigger implication. After every shooting incident like this one, we are quick to demand answers as to how this has happened, and suggest how things could have gone better. But this latest rampage was the textbook example of a shooting that was completely preventable. Everything was in place here to stop it. Everyone had done the right thing. And six people died, anyway. This may be the time in the collective conversation where we acknowledge that there’s sometimes no real defence against such evil acts.

Matt Gurney: Santa Barbara shooting was definition of ‘preventable.’ Six people died anyway | National Post

Absolutely.

No.

I am an older guy who has been around a little bit, and despite the fact that I am kinda enthralled with female sexuality, I certainly never felt "entitled" to it. On those instances where I have seen women "punished and ridiculed for rejecting male advances" it was NOT considered acceptable by anyone on the scene, . Nobody likes a pushy moron, including most men.

To extrapolate the behaviour of a few idiots to all men is unfair. To blame a non-existent culture of male sexual entitlement
for the actions of a psychotic murderer is just silly.....especially as you said yourself "It's just pure insanity".

Sexuality is a woman's game.....they have power, and for a woman to play the "victim" card on this is simply ludicrous, especially when 4 out of the 6 killed were MALE..

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Matt Gurney: Santa Barbara shooting was definition of ‘preventable.’ Six people died anyway
Matt Gurney: Santa Barbara shooting was definition of ‘preventable.’ Six people died anyway | National Post.
There is simply no reasonable defence against a deranged individual, such as Rodgers who is alleged to have been, who is determined to do harm to others, whether the roommates he reportedly knifed to death or the random strangers he allegedly shot.

sometimes we just don't know...I hope all of those involved will find peace eventually knowing they did what they could...I feel so bad for his family

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sexuality is a woman's game.....

You just finished saying that this man's attitude towards women is not common and then repeated one of the things he believes. My point is that this kind of casual misogyny is mainstream. The fact that you haven't noticed it in your many long years of being a man can be chalked up to the fact that yes it is very mainstream. You don't notice normal.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Numerous witnesses recount two people in the shooters car. These cultivated whackos will keep coming outta the woodwork to the delight of the farmers.

My gosh when is someone going to get the guns away from people? No it's not the industry validated and certified drugs they're on nor is it their new friends who handle things, it's teen angst about pimples.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Conspiracy theories incoming!

WAS IT OBAMA?
FEMA?
HAARP?
CHEMTRAILS?

Hello wrinkled fabric. Recently a very fine article (of which I am sure you have no connection to) outlined very nicely the chronic problems surrounding people who scoff at conspiracy largely based on the facts and logic which dictates that conspiracy is very much day to day ordinary business which has provided for the larger part of the crap ensconced in delicate offices these days, not to mention Mr Nothing what has just offed a crowd in home town USA. Not believing in conspiracy is right up there with climate change fanaticism. You seem quite the ordinary prole. Have you had your HyTrip today?