50B deficit should satisfy opposition

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This recession we are in has NOTHING to do with Canadian politics, smart folks will realize there is a very limited amount Harper can do to fix it, and Layton and Ignatieff don't have any more magic wands than Harper has. People have to figure out which they want more - services or less debt there's no way to have both. Suck it up folks.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This recession we are in has NOTHING to do with Canadian politics, smart folks will realize there is a very limited amount Harper can do to fix it, and Layton and Ignatieff don't have any more magic wands than Harper has. People have to figure out which they want more - services or less debt there's no way to have both. Suck it up folks.
Fix it? Since when was it broken?

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario

The recession - I agree.

The size of the deficit - I disagree - you can raise debt, cut services or raise taxes.
You could also stop throwing good money out after bad (ie. auto plant bailouts) You could rein in government spending, as opposed to increasing it 10% per year for the last 2 years.

You could be open and forthright with your plan to deal with this mess AFTER it is over. What is the Conservative plan? So far, I've heard - no taxes. Well, just how the hell are we going to pay for this then? Government operating costs? Unlikely, given the Harper history of increasing spending at 2x the level of inflation, and throwing money at every special interest group there is. Increasing debt? Yeah, let's just keep stealing from our kids, because that will never catch up with us. That leaves massive program cuts. Which ones will the Conservatives cut? They are already talking about selling off AECL (beyond stupid, if you ask me) to raise funds.

I can forgive somethings, but the Conservatives have no vision, no plan and worse, have no frickin clue what is going on, because they can't even FORECAST right. Worst government ever.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It seems canadians have to make choices once and for all. You can not have a free market economy without domestics goods on the market. You can not have a free market economy with bailouts that would make Stalin proud by so called Conservatives. No more subsidized anything in commerce that is not a free market economy. Which foreign nations are bailing out Canadian companies with tax money and debt?

What is it going to be?