5 yr. old BC girl killed by her Father in Washington

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
This is a very sad story. I hope the father didn't do it but what chance is there he could get a fair trial in the USA - not much I'm afraid. It was probably a bungled burglary or some pervert.
You have been gone a very long time. I don't know if you read the story that came with this. The Father is guilty - there is no doubt.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Heard that on the radio. I hate news like this. SOB should have his balls slashed off.

After a fair trial, right?

Ah, I normally don't find target shooting all that exciting, but if he's found guilty and given capital punishment, may I volunteer to the firing squad?:lol:

Maybe Colpie could volunteer too?

The news is very sad indeed. But then I got to thinking. Suppose this had been a Muslim family. Would the reaction have been so muted in the forum here? The forum would have gone viral. It probably would have been much harsher, much more virulent and would not be directed just against the father, but would probably be directed against all Muslims, against Muslim culture in general.

And that indeed is what happens when we hear news of honor killing in North America. All Muslims are condemned with the same broad brush. I am not trying to justify honor killings, nor am I saying that the reaction in this case was improper. It is just that next time we hear the news of honour killing (and there will be a next time), I would hope for the same measured reaction, rather than condemning all Muslims and Islam.

Bad, horrible things happen in every society, in every culture. It is important to blame the perpetrator (or perhaps even a particular extremist interpretation of the philosophy, like Wahabism), rather than the whole philosophy or religion.

Agreed.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This is a very sad story. I hope the father didn't do it but what chance is there he could get a fair trial in the USA - not much I'm afraid. It was probably a bungled burglary or some pervert.

You still here, Scott Free? Welcome back, you have a fond place in my heart. You may not remember it, but the day after I joined the forum, I got into heated argument with you about whether Jesus was a real person. With you and with Vanni Fucci (we haven’t heard from him in a long time).

Anyway, welcome back.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
unless the religion or culture attempts to excuse the action. That's the big diff... no one is making excuses for this guy (except Scott apparently).
I think it was pretty obvious that Scott Free didn't read the story.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Or is unable to see reality due to being against anything "establishment". Some people make the mistake of believing ABSOLUTELY nothing in the news, instead of realistically believing 5-10%. :iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin:

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
You still here, Scott Free? Welcome back, you have a fond place in my heart. You may not remember it, but the day after I joined the forum, I got into heated argument with you about whether Jesus was a real person. With you and with Vanni Fucci (we haven’t heard from him in a long time).

Anyway, welcome back.

Hey SirJosephPorter! thank you for the welcome. I'm looking forward to being here again.

I didn't read it.

I'm not used to this new format and missed the link.

Irrespective of that though, I'm suspicious of an article that would make a whole community so biased. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? And is it really so wrong to hope the father didn't do it? If so why?

Or is unable to see reality due to being against anything "establishment". Some people make the mistake of believing ABSOLUTELY nothing in the news, instead of realistically believing 5-10%. :iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin::iconbiggrin:

What is there to believe? I said I hoped the father didn't do it. I get no solace out of finger pointing. My ego isn't that fragile. It is hard to imagine anything worse than being killed by the hand of a parent, so yeah, I hope he didn't do it.

what a ridiculous statement.

Hi karrie :lol:

It's nice to see you again too :p

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And is it really so wrong to hope the father didn't do it? If so why?

Hi karrie :lol:

It's nice to see you again too :p
Hello to you too Scott.

Is it wrong to hope that the father didn't do it? no. Is it wrong to assume he didn't just because you'd like the world better that way? yes. (edited to add- if you're wondering why I'm saying assume, your statement of what it 'probably was', is what took it beyond what you 'hoped')

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
How can someone be on a forum and have such poor reading comprehension?
lmao Sorry, Bub, but you are the one that said you hope he didn't do it in spite of the fact that he did.

It's still a sad story but since he reportedly admitted it there seems little room for hope.
The only hop applicable here is the perp hoping to avoid the death penalty. He likely will. But you keep hoping he didn't do it all you like. lmao

Still, I'm glad you were able to get your jollies off.
Thank you. It was good for a laugh.

Feel better?
I felt fine before. I feel fine now.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's been several hours since I read the story but it seems the parents were having a disagreement over the children. The man told his wife that he would fix everything and in moments she heard screaming and ran down to see her child with her neck slit and bleeding profusely. She was the guy's step-daughter. Looks like he didn't take his meds for the day.

I made the comment "maybe she was an inconvenience" in regards to the "apparent" cavaleir attitude some posters have towards the use of abortion to rid someone of an "inconvenience". Basically, for those that support abortion, why the outrage over this? Just another child being killed, right?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Hello to you too Scott.

Is it wrong to hope that the father didn't do it? no. Is it wrong to assume he didn't just because you'd like the world better that way? yes. (edited to add- if you're wondering why I'm saying assume, your statement of what it 'probably was', is what took it beyond what you 'hoped')

I didn't assume anything except that it was regrettable he wouldn't get a fair trial - which I'll point to your own assumption of his guilt as evidence to that point.
I completely agree that he probably did the deed but I do think he is also probably insane, which means he isn't actually guilty, however, as I said, since he is in the USA he probably won't get a fair trial, that is to say, few insanity pleas work there. They also lock up children for life and execute retarded people. I don't think such a country is capable of anything remotely like justice. The USA excel at revenge however, which I suspect is all most people are really interested in anyway, so no harm done. The mob mentality is what it is.

lmao Sorry, Bub, but you are the one that said you hope he didn't do it in spite of the fact that he did.

I said I missed the news post because of the forums new format.

yeah... you got me.... :roll::roll::roll:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I said I missed the news post because of the forums new format.

yeah... you got me.... :roll::roll::roll:
Yeah, and I supplied a brand new news article on it just in case anyone missed the first one.:tard:

Whatever.
The guy'll probably escape the death sentence because of his psych problem. Not that either will bring the woman's child back.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I made the comment "maybe she was an inconvenience" in regards to the "apparent" cavaleir attitude some posters have towards the use of abortion to rid someone of an "inconvenience". Basically, for those that support abortion, why the outrage over this? Just another child being killed, right?

I hear you, Gerry. :smile: