400$/month plus rent increases in Edmonton.

Dalreg

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2006
Saskatchewan eh!
S243a

I see that the price of houses rose dramatically in the Calgary area but this will not last long when the price of houses drop Calgary will lead in the free fall.

John Baird is bringing in an environment bill that makes the industries pay so the oil companies will scale back operations in Cold Lake
and the prices will come down.

Cold Lake? I think your aim is off by a few hundrer kms.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
S243a

I see that the price of houses rose dramatically in the Calgary area but this will not last long when the price of houses drop Calgary will lead in the free fall.

John Baird is bringing in an environment bill that makes the industries pay so the oil companies will scale back operations in Cold Lake
and the prices will come down.

Obviously if the jobs dry up no one will care much about housing prices anymore.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Pangloss

Maybe if you would eat meat on a regular bases you could comprehend what I am saying.

Since you are in the film and stage industry and are exposed to gays on a regular bases I can see why you want to tear down my opinions because the gay population can be unforgiving and make your life miserable if it were seen that you were in agreement with me.

I know I am right and I know that as gay couples adopt more heterosexual children the problem will still exist.

I think he wants to tear down your arguements because you are a fricken idiot...dude...you can't be for real...you are a trolling agitator. If you are for real, you are one messed up dude.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Obviously if the jobs dry up no one will care much about housing prices anymore.
Maybe that is what is needed though. A slow down in the economy is the only thing that will bring things back into perspective somewhat. Right now, many businesses are having a hard time even keeping people...and that isn't good for them either...it's hard to run a business if you can't find employees. So, a slow down might be good for everyone involved...the housing prices will come down, there will be a tightening up of the employment market, and the economic insanity can chill for a bit.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Maybe that is what is needed though. A slow down in the economy is the only thing that will bring things back into perspective somewhat. Right now, many businesses are having a hard time even keeping people...and that isn't good for them either...it's hard to run a business if you can't find employees. So, a slow down might be good for everyone involved...the housing prices will come down, there will be a tightening up of the employment market, and the economic insanity can chill for a bit.
Gee then maybe companies will have to increase the wages to get or keep people and then the high rent wouldn't be such a burden, assuming your job was one that resulted in higher wages.

$1600/mo would really hurt my wages but if I had to leave somebody would still take the place over. The owner of the place could have raised it because he knows somebody will rent, the more money he can jam into his pockets the better it is for him. When I left GP I sold a 5 bedroom house, a few months after that people were paying $900/mo just for a room with house privileges. I only really needed two of the bedrooms so I could have rented 3 of them out. An extra $2700/mo would have cleared up my mortgage quite quickly and nobody was asking for receipts. Since it was a large basement I could have squeezed in even a few more.

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
Gee then maybe companies will have to increase the wages to get or keep people and then the high rent wouldn't be such a burden, assuming your job was one that resulted in higher wages.

The obvious problem is if people have more money then demand goes up, supply stays the same so rent goes up. It is the cycle of inflation. What needs to be done is to address the supply. This means investing in better public transit so people can effectively live further outside of the city. The other thing is to reduce demand. This means raising property taxes so there is less incentive to be an absentee land owner.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
S243a

Anytime you improve the transit system the house prices go up in the area because it is in demand.

When you look at increasing wages this makes inflation go higher.

When the market sees that you are making more money it will increase their prices.

Back in the 1960’s houses were thirty or forty thousand dollars most people were making around a dollar an hour and the man was working and the women were at home which means one income family and the mortgage was a shorter term.

Now in 2007 the house prices are averaging three or four hundred thousand dollars, you have double income homes and you can now get forty year mortgages.

I was watching a stock report and they were saying that Canada’s economy is good the jobless rate is low and a lot of investors are buying the Canadian dollar, which is a signal that interest rates are going to go up.

And when interest rate go up then the house prices will come down.

vice

Apr 14, 2007
Edmonton
The obvious problem is if people have more money then demand goes up, supply stays the same so rent goes up. It is the cycle of inflation. What needs to be done is to address the supply. This means investing in better public transit so people can effectively live further outside of the city. The other thing is to reduce demand. This means raising property taxes so there is less incentive to be an absentee land owner.

How would raising property taxes deter absentee landlords? In this economy they'd just work the extra costs into the rent for the tenants to absorb.

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
More talk about the skyrocketing rents in Edmonton on the news tonight. They interviewed a young single mother who just got handed a 485$/month rent increase. this is getting out of control. And as usual, the Alberta governments response is "Well as long as the landlords are getting rich, we are happy", more tax money for us!!!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
And as usual, the Alberta governments response is "Well as long as the landlords are getting rich, we are happy", more tax money for us!!!
Why isn't rent, and a lot of other things, tax deductible. When my employer gives me a cheque that same amount (more or less) is a deduction for him.
Rent is a income for a landlord but the renter is shafted by not being able to declare it as an expense in association with being employed. If not having to live in a certain area then his rent could be a lot less because he could be living in a 'cheap part of the country'.