$274M for Canadian military vehicles to be built in U.S

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
There have already been thousands of jobs lost in the motor vehicle industry. Many of these lost jobs could have been regained if we kept this order in Canada. Free enterprise rarely has anything to do with the purchase of military hardware.

Now you're doing what Tyr did last night. You're mixing miltary and economic objectives. Which is it? The two are not necessarily compatible.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
At a time when American manufacturers are adamant about tying their stimulus package to a "must be produced in the USA" to qualify for funding, Harpo and his legion of mental midgets spends $274 million on American vehicles with absolutely no industrial benefit to Canada
VALCARTIER, Que. - Federal Defence Minister Peter MacKay defended Friday a $274-million contract awarded to a U.S.-based company for the purchase of 1,300 logistic trucks for the Canadian military.

MacKay painted the announcement as good news for the Canadian economy in difficult times, but was forced to acknowledge the vehicles won't be built in Canada.
Defence Minister Peter MacKay painted the $274-million announcement as good news for the Canadian economy in difficult times, (but didn't specify how those benefits would be realized) but was forced to acknowledge the vehicles won’t be built in Canada.

Illinois-based Navistar Defence LLC won the contract

List of Canadian Defence industry vehicle manufacturers or suppliers

BMT Fleet Technology Ltd
General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada
ING Engineering Inc.
John Deere Limited
MAN Military Vehicle Systems Canada

Is there enough information to be able to reply intelligently? Do we have the facilities for such an undertaking? If the U.S. has better facilities to produce a more economical product, I say go for it. By the same token they can reciprocate by giving us a contract we are better able to handle. Sometimes being independent is NOT preferable to working as a team for EVERYONE'S best interest.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Now you're doing what Tyr did last night. You're mixing miltary and economic objectives. Which is it? The two are not necessarily compatible.

Most people can walk and chew gum at the same time. We have companies in Canada capable of building these vehicles to the specs needed. How is that not compatible to both the economy and military?

General Motors Defense, now operated in London Ontario by General Dynamics, probably would have been a logical choice.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Most people can walk and chew gum at the same time. We have companies in Canada capable of building these vehicles to the specs needed. How is that not compatible to both the economy and military?

General Motors Defense, now operated in London Ontario by General Dynamics, probably would have been a logical choice.

Maybe, I don;t know the details of that. Were they given a chance to bid? If so, then the question is waht was the bidding price? If not, then why not? I'd need more details for this. But if indeed they did bid and the US company gave a better deal, then from the taxpayers' perspective, it would make more sense to buy the US product for the same quality and then let the Canadian dollar drop to compensate.

If the argument is national military defence, then economic efficiency becomes irrelevent and it should be a matter of national policy that all military products are to be produced in Canada regardless of comparative efficiency.

But then you can see how military and economic objectives are different. From an economic standpoint, we'd have to know more details on the bid and not encourage inefficient industries. Mussolini tried that in Italy in the Battle for wheat. The Italians were imporitng wheat and exporting other products. Mussolini wanted economic self-sufficiency by having all products produced in Italy. Well, he won the battle for wheat and did make Italy economically self-sufficient. The problem though was that the porducts that Italian farmers had been producing before they could produce more efficiently, and wheat could be produced more efficienty abroad too. So in fact Italian farmers were wealthier by exporting what they made best and importing the wheat. After the battle for wheat was won, because Italy couldn't produce wheat as efficiently, Itlay became poorer too.

So economic self-sufficiency and efficiency are not necessarily compatible objectives. Sometimes it is preferable to specialize.

So no, economic and national military objectives are not necessarily compatible. But again, we'd need the details fo the deal to know whether the government's decision was a wise one or not.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What R&D? They're trucks - common everyday civilian pattern trucks.... GM and Ford build them every day. Sterling could have used the work - before the plant closed.

This is the problem. As far as I know there is no operating plant left in Canada that builds trucks. When Western Star closed that was about the end of it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
To reiterate, from the article that I assume Tyr quoted (it's hard to tell as there is rarely a link used), MacKay said "no Canadian company was able to meet all the requirements of the Canadian Forces."

$274M in military vehicles to be built in U.S.

Nobody has posted anything that would refute this claim by MacKay so I will assume that it probably is true. The Canadian military should not lower it's standards and buy whatever happens to be available in Canada just to make American haters happy. Our men and women in uniform deserve much better.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
To reiterate, from the article that I assume Tyr quoted (it's hard to tell as there is rarely a link used), MacKay said "no Canadian company was able to meet all the requirements of the Canadian Forces."

$274M in military vehicles to be built in U.S.

Nobody has posted anything that would refute this claim by MacKay so I will assume that it probably is true. The Canadian military should not lower it's standards and buy whatever happens to be available in Canada just to make American haters happy. Our men and women in uniform deserve much better.

Good source of your always exacting research. "shoot from the lip" and hope for little fallout. Did you expect MacKay to say "oops, we screwed up?"

Why aren't the vehicles being built in Chatham, Ont. at Navistar's Canadian operations. Navistar has sent out 500 lay-off notices to the employess in Chatham (200 will be left) and their is the concern that the plant will close.

I gather that our gov't is more concerned with job creation in the USA

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Juan

Can you post a link or something to back up your suggestion that somebody is going to lose their job....and BTW, so what if they do...there isn't Pratt and Whitney engines on every plane that is bought and sold in Canada nor should there be. It's called free enterprise.

Obviously you fail to understand the dynamics of soverignty and self sufficiancy in terms of our National Dafence.

With your logic as a baseline, Why don't we buy the vehicles for North Korea or Iran?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Why aren't the vehicles being built in Chatham, Ont. at Navistar's Canadian operations.

I have no idea...why don't you enlighten us?

Navistar has sent out 500 lay-off notices to the employess in Chatham (200 will be left) and their is the concern that the plant will close.

I'm not sure what your point is. Do you have evidence that shows the plant is being shut down because of this decision and not because it is incapable, old, run down and/or inefficient?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Good source of your always exacting research. "shoot from the lip" and hope for little fallout. Did you expect MacKay to say "oops, we screwed up?"

Nobody has posted anything that would refute this claim by MacKay. I won't hold my breath waiting for you.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Obviously you fail to understand the dynamics of soverignty and self sufficiancy in terms of our National Dafence.

E for effort!

I understand it perfectly well...I just don't particularly care about it. I want our men and women in uniform to have the best equipment we can possibly give them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

Why aren't the vehicles being built in Chatham, Ont. at Navistar's Canadian operations. Navistar has sent out 500 lay-off notices to the employess in Chatham (200 will be left) and their is the concern that the plant will close.

That's oddly reminiscent of our infamous helicopter deal. After Chretien cancelled the deal, and Canada lost out of the opportunity to be a true partner in manufacturing them, the military revised the specs, and went out for bids. Oddly enough, the same helicopter won. That was too embarrassing for Chretien, so they revised the specs, and went out for bids again. I believe they repeated this farce several times, with the same helicopter winning the evaluations time and again.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
You're right. You are taking it to non-sensical extremes. We are not talking about extremes, we are talking about protection for our defence manufacturing base which by extension is our ability to protect ourselves

Are you proposing that the US will be our unilateral ally for time immemorial? That very prescient of you.

Can we use the example of Russia being our ally in 1944 and Germany being the enemy? That's really not that long ago and I don't believe that's the situation today.... only 64 yrs later. In fact Germany went from enemy to ally in ten short years

Few faults with that, Russia wasn't our ally, they were part of Comintern we were not. Germany didn't start being our ally until after we conquered them and forced them to be.

America is either our ally or our overlord. The scale difference and size difference means its pretty pathetic to pretend otherwise.

Reality bites sometimes.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

The plant is not set up for building that sort of truck. It is for large trucks only(such as the Prostar and Lonestar), and it would probably cost a lot of money to retrofit the plant for building the smaller trucks(plus ordering parts, finding a shipper for said parts, etc.). Believe me, I would like to have seen the plant get the order, but I don't think it was ever feasible.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The plant in Chatham builds heavy trucks (ie, like tractor trailers).The new vehicles for the Canadian military are based on the Workforce chassis, which is similar to the trucks that bakeries and, say, Purolator Courier uses.Totally different beast.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The size of truck being described was being made in St. Thomas at the Sterling Truck Plant,
which recently shut down. I'm thinking of the Acterra model. Class 5-8 trucks...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

This is a versatile platform....Look what we've done with Sterling Acterra's...