20 million mature trees are logged annually for chopsticks

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
20 million mature trees are logged annually for no other purpose other than to provide China alone with disposable chopsticks. That doesn't even take into account the chopsticks used by other countries throughout Asia.

In a report released earlier this year, the head of a major forestry group in China disclosed that the country goes through at least 80 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks a year. A mature, 20-year-old tree can be whittled down to roughly 4,000 chopsticks.

Every 60 seconds day and night, 38 mature trees are harvested just to produce enough chopsticks for one country.

What's worse is that not all wood comes clean and white; harsh chemicals are used to bleach the wood so that all chopsticks look similar -- another good reason not to nibble on the ends or suck sauce from your chopsticks.

China’s disposable chopstick addiction is destroying its forests - The Washington Post
How many cubic meters is that. 20 years is not very old for a tree except for the weed varieties. In any event trees regrow making logging a completely sustainable industry.

There was a chop stick factory in Ft St. John 20 years or so ago.

Plastic utensils, I can't recall the last time I may have used them but I have used them before.

And as for silverware or metal utensils I have only ever bought them once, and it was a long time ago.

The point of the article was the 'disposable' issue which causes the non stop cutting of trees........

Nonstop cutting of trees is a good thing. Keeps loggers employed.