12 Billion People By 2100 – And Why It’s No Big Deal

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm hoping my hometown rugby union team, Bolton R.U.F.C, win the Aviva Premiership (or whatever it will be called then) before 2100. I doubt it though.

Bolton R.U.F.C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This all depends on what standard of living we want.

If we want to lower the standard, then yes, overpopulation isn't really a concern.

But if we want to enjoy a healthy environment while maximizing economic benefit, then we should stop reproducing like rabbits.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not if your are going to lower their odds of sutvival. What parent would do that other than weak ones?

No population is not a problem. What are we going to run out of? Food? Water? Space?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You responded to a statement about maintaining standards with a leading question about completely running out of resources.

And you probably think that was a really clever thing to say.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I don't have a specific guideline, but I think that having the opportunity for a decent job, and a reasonable set of societal freedoms would be a good start.

I think Western society is on the right track that we'll probably have an agreeable life style in 20 or so years.

All of this hinges on good government that can facilitate a healthy environment, sustainable economy and more personal liberties.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We have that now, we have surpluses of food with minimal production capacities, jobs are related to personality and education choices.

What is an agreeable lifestyle?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
One where there is a general consensus on the status quo.

Right now we still have too much of a tug of war between libertarians, environmentalists and conservatives.

But I many of these issues will sort themselves out more or less within the next few decades.