10 questions for schieffer to ask obama

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
10 QUESTIONS FOR BOB SCHIEFFER TO ASK PRESIDENT OBAMA IN MONDAY’S DEBATE

- Hopefully, Bob Schieffer will be the least openlypro-Obama and otherwise partisan of the four moderators in this year’spresidential and VP debates.

- While the 75 year old Schieffer is in his 30thyear as a CBS Washington correspondent and like the rest of the senior CBSpolitical reporting staff who climbed up the ranks during the Cronkite-Rather era of liberal partisanship is a Democrat at least by osmosis, he has usuallystruck me as being fair and even handed in his interviews of Republicans andDemocrats alike. So the open shillingfor BO that was practised by the CNN gasbag Candy Crowley is unlikely duringSchieffer’s hosting of next Monday’s debate on foreign policy.

- Nonetheless, I am not optimistic that Bob will askPresident Obama any of the following ten questions on his foreign policy. Perhaps some of you have other questions forObama and for Romney that you would like moderator Schieffer to ask. If so, let’s hear them here.

10/ Your vice-president said in his recent debate that hewas unaware the late US ambassador in Libya was pleading for more security there due to previous attacks on the USembassy and consulate as well as the instability and violence in Libya and thedeath threats against him personally. Is the VP’s remarkable claim to have no knowledge of the dangerousconditions there and the ambassador’s plea for more – not less – security dueto incompetence, ignorance, sloth or lying and would you have known about thesituation if you had attended more than 40% of your daily security briefings?

9/ You claim to have identified the destruction of the USconsulate in Benghazi and the murder of the ambassador and three otherAmericans as a terrorist attack in your Rose Garden speech the day after thisincident. Rereading your speech, I findno specific reference by you to the effect that this Benghazi strike was aterrorist attack only a general reference in the context of the September 11th,2001 anniversary that the US won`t be intimidated by terrorist attacks or otherthreats. But if you are telling thetruth about this and knew and announced to the nation the day after thatBenghazi was a terrorist attack, why did you allow your own press secretary andyour ambassador to the UN to continue to refer to the incident as a spontaneousmob reaction to a film critical of Islam rather than as a cold blooded attackby fanatical terrorists for at least two more weeks?

8/ In a recent interview, you referred to Israel as beingone of America`s closest allies in the Middle East. You also recently refused a request by theIsraeli prime minister to meet in New York and yet you had time that same weekto go on `The View` and play golf and do fundraisers. Would you please tell the American peoplewhat other countries in the Middle East you consider to be as close andfaithful allies of the US as is Israel and would you also tell the peoplewhether you consider appearing on feel good talk shows, enjoying your hobbiesand raising money for your campaign to be more important than meeting with theleaders of important American allies?

7/ A constant refrain by you and your supporters is that youare the president who captured and killed Osama bin Laden. But bin Laden was actually captured andkilled by navy SEALS after a ten year, multi-agency mission to find and capturethe Al Qaeda leader which began under President Bush. Is it not true that the organizationalchanges under Bush that fostered a new level of interagency co-operation andinformation exchanges and the waterboarding which you oppose of KLM and othersenior terrorists led to the locating of bin Laden and that any president evenJimmy Carter would have given the order to capture bin Laden once he waslocated?

6/ You often refer tohaving ended (sometimes you change ended to won) the war in Iraq as you hadpromised in 2008. However, the war wasactually ended by President Bush with his surge strategy which you and mostothers opposed but which worked. The problem,Mr. President, is that the war was effectively over when you took office andyour job was to secure the peace, to consolidate the strategic gains resultingfrom the war in Iraq. Yet you are thefirst president in US history to fail to consolidate the gains from asuccessful war by reaching a status of forces agreement that keeps severalthousands of US military personnel there on the ground to ensure post warstability and a successful transition. Whether after WWI or WWII or the Korean War, all other US presidentshave prudently ensured a strong continuing American military presence in formerenemies and, in the cases of South Korea and others, former allies. Now it appears that Iraq is regressing backto a divided, autocratic, unstable state under increasing threat and influencefrom Iran. Is it not more accurate tosay that under your watch you did not win the war but you did lose the peace?

5/ Given theincreasing instability, anarchy, violence and anti-Americanism in the MiddleEast as well as current polls which showthat the US is even more unpopular now in most Middle East countries than itwas on George Bush`s watch, is it not fair to suggest that your policies oftrying to appease the Middle East countries and their Islamic rulers by apologiesand retreats and your rejection of the notion of American exceptionalism haveserved to encourage and embolden our enemies and to discourage and disturb ourallies?

4/ While it is verygood politics, the policy of announcing in advance when one`s military will bepacking up and going home is a highly risky proposition militarily because itprovides comfort and a light at the end of the tunnel for enemy forces whosimply have to wait things out and it discourages those local groups who havebeen allies but fear reprisals from the enemy as soon as the foreign militarymakes its scheduled departure. Thisseems to be exactly what is now happening in Afghanistan which means that youmay wind up with both the lost peace in Iraq and a lost war in Afghanistan onyour resume. Could you tell us if any –not the majority but any at all – senior US military leaders actuallyvoluntarily endorsed your unusual policy of announcing in advance a militarywithdrawal date in the middle of an active war?

3/ Concerning Iran,many observers are critical of what they call your lack of leadership includinga failed engagement policy rebuffed by the Iranians, a failure to support theGreen Movement, a weak sanctions policy, abandoning the European missile defencesystem which would have helped protect Europe from Iranian missiles, and anundermining of the credibility of the military option. Would you please explain to Americans howyour policies in the areas I just mentioned have been effective policies interms of American interests including keeping Iran from developing nuclearweapons?

2/ Your Reset policywith Russia is considered by many to have been an abject and dangerousfailure. Abandoning the European MissileDefence System without a single quid pro quo from Putin in terms of cooperationon issues such as Iran, North Korea and Afghanistan and generally showing signsof weakness including major defence cuts seem to have emboldened Putin tocontinue to consolidate his increasingly undemocratic rule and to ramp up theCold War rhetoric again. Would youexplain to the American people what you meant by your comment intended to beoff the record to the Russian prime minister that you would have `moreflexibility` after the upcoming election?

1/ Mr. President,there are many other potential hot spots around the world that seem to bebecoming more not less problematic on your watch including Egypt andPakistan. But let me turn instead to acountry that geographically at least is certainly not a hot spot. I refer to our closest friend, ally, tradingpartner and neighbour, Canada. You almost seem to have gone out of your way to alternately ignore and antagonize our great neighbour to the north. Whether itbe delaying and possibility cancelling the pipeline project, adding nuisance border taxes on Canadians travelling to the US, pushing protectionism and Buy American in the stimulus bill and other government contracts, not pushing for Canada to get its earned seat on the UN security council but seemingly preferring Portugal, sticking Canadian taxpayers with the bill for the new Detroit to Windsor bridge, showing no interest in a joint agreement on common fuel emissions standards and, demanding that Canada make concessions on its agricultural subsidies as the price of admissionto the Trans-Pacific Partnership talks while the US continues with its huge agricultural subsidies, you seem to alternate between deliberately annoying our neighbour and totally neglecting it. Why does the US bully Canada while it appeases Russia? Shouldn’t this be the other way around?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Teddy - According to this good old Mitt will have no questtions- Perhaps he should take the night off. It should take a good day to read thru his pension plan.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Just a few Kg a day.

Thanks!

Ya know, I've always wondered what (if any) it would be.. Part of me thought that it was a function of the size of the woodchuck... Maybe the specific motivation for the critter (was there a blt on rye under the wood?).

Don't even get me on the question if they have opposable thumbs as that would definitely impact their wood-chucking productivity.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Thanks!

Ya know, I've always wondered what (if any) it would be.. Part of me thought that it was a function of the size of the woodchuck... Maybe the specific motivation for the critter (was there a blt on rye under the wood?).

Don't even get me on the question if they have opposable thumbs as that would definitely impact their wood-chucking productivity.
Could be a Mutantchuk- Heard about them- Nasty - real ffn nasty-
Meaner than a Liberal Bag Man - Endangered species, at the Fed level.
But listening to the news appears they are on the increase in Quebec, provinciial level.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
Thanks to you all for your relevant, intelligent, informed and useful opinions on this important topic.
You are a credit to this forum!

And i am the november centerfold in penthouse.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
President Obama........you seemed bemused when Govenor Romney repeated that you called the Benghazi attack a "terrorist attack" at the last debate. Is it true that you feel this is the only truthful statement Romney has made to this point?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Another question:

Governor Romney, you asked President Obama if he said "Act of Terror" in the Rose Garden. He said yes. You continued to ask him 'for the record'. He said "carry on". It appeared President Obama wanted you to repeatedly continue to claim he did not say that. We presume he was disappointed when Candy saved you by clarifying everything before you dug a hole to large for yourself. In appreciation for her efforts to help you save face, have you sent Candy a binder full of flowers?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
At the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation dinner in New York City Oct 18 President Obama quipped ;

Of course, world affairs are a challenge for every candidate, some of you guys remember, after my foreign trip in 2008, I was attacked as a celebrity because I was so popular with our allies overseas. And I have to say, I’m impressed with how well Governor Romney has avoided that problem.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
At the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation dinner in New York City Oct 18 President Obama quipped ;

Of course, world affairs are a challenge for every candidate, some of you guys remember, after my foreign trip in 2008, I was attacked as a celebrity because I was so popular with our allies overseas. And I have to say, I’m impressed with how well Governor Romney has avoided that problem.

This is a question for Obama?

You're losing it kid. :lol:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
And a couple of soft lobs for Romney
Will everyone be forced to donate a tenth of their earnings to your "church"
How man more thousands of jobs will you create........in China?
When will the rich stop being forced to pay taxes?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
This is a question for Obama?

You're losing it kid. :lol:

The question for Romney out of that is 'do you agree your summer trip to Europe and the subsequent dissing from those countries you visited disqualify you as having any concept of what the big worlds about?'.......

Mitt Romney's disastrous trip abroad has been -- and continues to be -- filled with abhorrent, shocking and embarrassing statements that fail even the most elementary tests of diplomacy.

However, one thing should be made clear: they are not gaffes.

Instead, they are, quite simply, a true expression of his nature as a businessman whose success has never been dependent upon a sensitivity to others' feelings, concerns or perspectives.

In short: Romney doesn't get diplomacy because he has never needed to be diplomatic in his Darwinian capitalist drive, nor is it his nature to understand the importance of diplomacy.

Now, Romney's trip was obviously intended to demonstrate that he has the capacity to lead on the world stage. That he can be comfortable, confident and loved when in the company of world leaders.

What it has done is demonstrate exactly the opposite. He is awkward, clumsy and not well-liked for the very same reasons he has succeeded in business.

He doesn't understand anyone's self-interests but his own.

Mitt Romney’s insults and mistakes while at the London Olympics aren’t gaffes as much as a fair representation of his worldview. - Slate Magazine

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
- Rosa Brooks is a former foreign policy advisor to President Obama who has taken off her rose coloured glasses and called out the president for the colossal flop he has been in the foreign policy and security spheres. For the discerning among you, her article here relates rather well to some of the 10 questions I raise in this thread.

The Case for Intervention...

In Obama's dysfunctional foreign-policy team.

BY ROSA BROOKS |OCTOBER 18, 2012

Last chance! On Monday, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney square off on foreign policy. It will be the final debate and President Obama's last major opportunity to convince American voters to give him four more years.

He may not have an easy time of it. In 2008, Obama's principled positions on the Iraq War, Afghanistan, Guantanamo, and interrogation policy helped motivate the Democratic base and send him to the White House with a decisive victory. But that was then. Now, Obama's approval ratings have plummeted, both domestically and internationally. For most of his first term, they have been well below the historical average for first-term presidents.

Despite some successes large and small, Obama's foreign policy has disappointed many who initially supported him. The Middle East initiatives heralded in his 2009 Cairo speech fizzled or never got started at all, and the Middle East today is more volatile than ever. The administration's response to the escalating violence in Syria has consisted mostly of anxious thumb-twiddling. The Israelis and the Palestinians are both furious at us. In Afghanistan, Obama lost faith in his own strategy: he never fought to fully resource it, and now we're searching for a way to leave without condemning the Afghans to endless civil war. In Pakistan, years of throwing money in the military's direction have bought little cooperation and less love.

The Russians want to reset the reset, neither the Chinese nor anyone else can figure out what, if anything, the "pivot to Asia" really means, and Latin America and Africa continue to be mostly ignored, along with global issues such as climate change. Meanwhile, the administration's expanding drone campaign suggests a counterterrorism strategy that has completely lost its bearings -- we no longer seem very clear on who we need to kill or why.
Could Obama have done better?

In foreign policy as in life, stuff happens -- including bad stuff no one could have predicted. Nonetheless, to a significant extent, President Obama is the author of his own lackluster foreign policy. He was a visionary candidate, but as president, he has presided over an exceptionally dysfunctional and un-visionary national security architecture -- one that appears to drift from crisis to crisis, with little ability to look beyond the next few weeks. His national security staff is squabbling and demoralized, and though senior White House officials are good at making policy announcements, mechanisms to actually implement policies are sadly inadequate.
It doesn't have to be this way. If Obama wants to fix his broken foreign policy machine, he can do it -- but conversations with numerous insiders, as well as my own government experiences, suggest that he needs to focus on strategy, structure, process, management, and personnel as much as on new policy initiatives.

Not sexy, I know. But just as a start-up company needs more than an entrepreneurial founder with a couple of good ideas and a nifty PowerPoint presentation, the United States needs more than speeches and high-minded aspirations.

Here's what President Obama needs to do:

1. Get a Strategy. No, really. We don't currently seem to have one, grand or otherwise. We've got "the long war" -- but we don't seem to have a long game. Instead of a strategy, we have aspirations ("We want a stable Middle East") and we have laundry lists (check out the 2010 National Security Strategy). But as I have written in a previous column, there's no clear sense of what animates our foreign policy. And without a clear strategic vision of the world, there's no way to evaluate the success or failure of different initiatives, and no way to distinguish the important from the marginal.
What does President Obama see as the one or two gravest threats to the United States? What are our one or two biggest opportunities? Is terrorism an existential threat to the United States, or a marginal threat, overshadowed by the long-term dangers posed by climate change, pandemics, and a highly manipulable global financial system? Should we focus on increasing ties in Asia, or focus on our neighbors in Central and South America? Is the United States trying to maintain global preeminence, even if it comes at the expense of other states -- or are we trying to foster a global order in which the United States is but one of many strong countries, all constrained by a robust international network of laws and institutions?
If President Obama lacks a clear strategic foreign policy vision, it's partly because the strategic planning shops within the White House's National Security Staff (NSS) and the State Department have been marginalized and disempowered. Within the NSS, the Strategic Planning Directorate has been reduced to a speech-writing shop, without the clout to bring senior officials to the table for longer-term strategy discussions. At the State Department, thePolicy Planning office -- once run by such legendary figures as George Kennan and Paul Nitze -- was handed off, after Anne-Marie Slaughter's departure, to a young lawyer whose credentials include ample brains and a stint as a Clinton campaign aide, but no prior foreign policy experience.
If President Obama ekes out a victory on November 6, he should take a strategic pause. He should ensure that influential and credible people are appointed to lead the various strategic planning shops, and insist that his senior officials participate in a process to develop a clear, concise and articulable strategy, one that can guide future U.S. foreign policy and national security decisions.

2. Get some decent managers. The interagency process is in a state of permanent crisis. The schedules of senior officials are constantly disrupted by pop-up Deputies Committee meetings, often called on short notice, with minimal time for preparation and thought. National Security Advisor Tom Donilon reportedly scheduled more than 700 Deputies Committee meetings and 200 Principal's Committee meetings between January 2009 and October 2011. Meetings occur at all times of the day and the week, with little prioritization, causing burn-out for exhausted staffers (and reducing institutional memory when the burned out staffers quit after a year or two). Often, the constant meetings produce only inconclusive results. As a friend once put it to me, "It's all churn, no butter."
And although the National Security Staff lacks the personnel or the depth of experience and expertise to be the primary font of policy, the NSS appears to view the Cabinet-level departments and agencies as mere implementers of policies created by the White House, rather than as sources of ideas and expertise. As a result, the schedule and agenda for senior level-discussions is driven almost entirely by a small number of NSS staff, making it difficult for other issues and perspectives to be brought to the fore.
It doesn't need to be that way. President Obama should find some decent managers to run the NSS -- honest brokers who are capable of listening, prioritizing, delegating, and holding people accountable for results.

3. Get some people who actually know something. President Obama promised to ensure transparency and competence in government, but too often, nepotism trumps merit. Young and untried campaign aides are handed vital substantive portfolios (I could name names, but will charitably refrain, unless you buy me a drink), while those with deep expertise often find themselves sidelined.
Cronyism also reigns supreme when it comes to determining who should attend White House meetings: increasingly, insiders say, meetings called by top NSS officials involve by-name requests for attendance, with no substitutions or "plus ones" permitted. As a result, dissenting voices are shut out, along with the voices of specialists who could provide valuable information and insights. The result? Shallow discussions and poor decisions.
Here again, President Obama could easily make some useful changes. Why not appoint a commission of experienced former officials from past administrations to work with current officials on developing job descriptions for key positions -- and then insist that mid- and high-level political appointments be justified to the commission? This doesn't prevent the president or other senior officials from bringing in people they know and trust, but it could help ensure that those appointed have at least some minimal qualifications. What's more, President Obama should send his staff a clear message that cliques belong in junior high school, not in the White House. Permitting senior staff to exclude everyone but their favorites from meetings guarantees uninformed group-think.

4. Get out of the bubble. The National Security Staff operates as a tiny fiefdom. Many NSS senior directors say they speak with Tom Donilon only once or twice a year. Donilon and Deputy National Security Advisors Denis McDonough and Ben Rhodes function as gate-keepers, and even Cabinet-level officials often struggle to get direct access to the president. Some gate-keeping is necessary, of course, but this president lives in as much of an echo chamber as George W. Bush did. Add to this President Obama's even more infrequent contact with the press and his infrequent meetings with members of Congress, and you end up with debate performances like the one the president gave on October 3, in which he seemed surprised and irritated at being challenged in public.
Getting out of his bubble may not come naturally for Obama. As Neera Tanden, president of the Center for American Progress, put it in an unguarded moment, "The truth is, Obama doesn't call anyone, and he's not close to almost anyone. It's stunning that he's in politics, because he really doesn't like people." [Ed. note: Tanden later clarified her words, tweeting "I was trying to say how President Obama, who I admire greatly, is a private person, but I deeply regret how I said it. I apologize.]
But if he wants good, candid feedback, President Obama needs to deal with more people. He should increase the number of press conferences he gives, increase the number of formal and informal meetings with members of Congress, and institute at least quarterly town-hall style meetings with his national security staff -- invited based on position, not based on whether they're in the in-club -- and with other senior staff from State, Defense, and AID. He should also create internal "red teams," tasked with pointing out the dangers and flaws of the policy approaches recommended by his senior staff -- and he should require his staff to listen and respond to critics, instead of just repeating administration talking points.

5. Get a backbone. President Obama has sound moral instincts, but he often backs away from them at the first sign of resistance. He came into office with a mandate and Democratic control of both houses of Congress. Had he been willing to use some political capital -- and twist a few arms on the Hill -- in those early months, Guantanamo would be closed, and the United States might have a more coherent approach to national security budgeting. But on these and other issues, the president backed off at the first sign of congressional resistance, apparently deciding (presumably on the advice of the campaign aides who already populated his national security staff) that these issues were political losers.
Of course, it was a self-fulfilling prophesy; the issues became losers because the White House abandoned them. Ultimately, Congress began to view him as weak: a man who wouldn't push them very hard. As a result, Congress pushed back hard on everything, including health care, economic stimulus, and regulation of the financial industry, and Obama was forced to live with watered-down legislation across the board.
If he gets a second term, Obama needs to start thinking about his legacy, and that will require him to fight for his principles, not abandon them. Even if he fights, he won't win every battle -- but if he doesn't fight, he won't win any.

6. Get rid of the jerks. On the campaign trail, Barack Obama famously had a "no assholes" rule, and his staff was legendary for its lack of infighting and drama. Somehow, though, he's managed to populate his national security staff with a fair number of people who seem unable to get along with each other. Insiders say that McDonough and Donilon can barely stand each other, contradicting each other publicly so often that no one's ever sure who really speaks for the president. Both men are also famously rude to colleagues: it's a rare individual who hasn't been screamed at by one or the other. The nastiness demoralizes everyone and sends the message that rudeness and infighting are acceptable.

That's no way to run a railroad. It drives away those not fond of public excoriation or back-stabbing and reduces those who remain to sniveling yes-men. Obama needs to reinstate the "no assholes" rule, hold his senior staff to standards of civilized behavior, and get rid of those who won't change. It's not impossible: the Pentagon under Robert Gates was a remarkably civilized place. As the military knows, command climate matters. The command climate at the NSS is one in which rudeness is tolerated. It shouldn't be.
President Obama came into office with so much good will -- from his own staff, from the American people, and from the world. But through his own unforced errors, he's lost much of that goodwill. To some extent, his errors are errors of inexperience: Obama simply undervalued issues of strategy, structure, process, and personnel. These are understandable mistakes for a first-term president with little prior government experience (or management experience, for that matter). But such errors will be far less excusable if Obama gets a second term. If American voters give Obama four more years, he needs to push the foreign policy "reset" button