10 Million Renovation Needed for 24 Sussex

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
$10,000,000+ reno's needed? 34 rooms & just under 11,000sq.ft.?

Knock that thing down! Mow it under and build something new in
the 5 million dollar range...modern....with NEW plumbing & electrical
& windows & insulation & so on & so forth...with a warranty.

Heritage? Smeritage! Sometimes you just have to draw a line, even
if it's just on a balance sheet, and do the right thing. Good on Harper
or whomever for not dumping more cash into that hole!

Good idea, except that a new roof, new wiring, and new plumbing and new windows and flooring etc. could be had for a lot less than 5 million.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
this goes beyond who was occupant of 24 sussex..its the responsibility of the NCC...and code enforcers...so who was not looking in on the property...hmmmm...i wonder who....in the national capaital commission...

Well The Hon.j.Trudeau will just have to rough it at harrington lake...I'm sure he'll be at home there....hiking in every morning & out at night....and canoeing on the ottawa....everyone sing! C'est l'aviron LA BONNE CHANNSON:https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nxYMNKQ_vNI
haha Cool. I would love it.

Good idea, except that a new roof, new wiring, and new plumbing and new windows and flooring etc. could be had for a lot less than 5 million.
Juan, this is gov't we are speaking of here. You know, $500 toilet seats, $2200 screen doors, etc.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The part that baffles me is Harper had close to 500 weekends to perform this work, hence defraying all labour costs! Not sure how much less than $5 million, there's probably more than one bathroom!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, lots of people had the chance to maintain the residence but did not. Who all has lived there since say 1970 (since it was refurbished in 1950)? Meighan, King, Bennett, Diefenbaker, Pearson, St. Laurent, Pops Trudeau, Mulroney, Harper, Chretien, Martin, and I am likely missing a couple.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, lots of people had the chance to maintain the residence but did not. Who all has lived there since say 1970 (since it was refurbished in 1950)? Meighan, King, Bennett, Diefenbaker, Pearson, St. Laurent, Pops Trudeau, Mulroney, Harper, Chretien, Martin, and I am likely missing a couple.

I think anything since 1950 starts with Louis!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The problem is a conservative and a liberal one. These repairs in many cases
go back four decades and we saved money till it is going to coast us ten times
more.
No we can't just knock it down it is the official landmark address just like the
Brits have 10 Downing Street. Internationally we would be the laughing stock of
people who don't care how much it costs they are also the people of influence.
Besides we decide to same money and knock it down our own people would have
a fit. Remember the present Canadian lot just voted to go politically Christmas
shopping at a rate of 10 billion yearly for three years. 10 million will renovate this
place. For those who want to sound the alarm just whisper 10 million it sounds so
much smaller an amount that way

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The problem is a conservative and a liberal one. These repairs in many cases
go back four decades and we saved money till it is going to coast us ten times
more.
No we can't just knock it down it is the official landmark address just like the
Brits have 10 Downing Street. Internationally we would be the laughing stock of
people who don't care how much it costs they are also the people of influence.
Besides we decide to same money and knock it down our own people would have
a fit. Remember the present Canadian lot just voted to go politically Christmas
shopping at a rate of 10 billion yearly for three years. 10 million will renovate this
place. For those who want to sound the alarm just whisper 10 million it sounds so
much smaller an amount that way

Maybe that job should be second on Justin's list......................right after the sewer in Victoria!

So anyway I just heard Justin & family will be moving into a cottage for a few months. Sounds rather quaint, right? Wrong- the f**king "cottage" has 22 rooms! :)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Built in 1867, Rideau Cottage sits within the 88-acre grounds that also house Rideau Hall - the Governor General's Residence. It was last renovated in 2013.

Good move by Justin. Now the National Capitol Commission can get busy and do the repairs to 24 Sussex.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Built in 1867, Rideau Cottage sits within the 88-acre grounds that also house Rideau Hall - the Governor General's Residence. It was last renovated in 2013.​

Good move by Justin. Now the National Capitol Commission can get busy and do the repairs to 24 Sussex.

Yep, even in the "cottage" he should have enough room to board 25 refugees!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Yep, even in the "cottage" he should have enough room to board 25 refugees!

Rideau Hall has 22 rooms, JLM. I think we can safely assume two or three are bathrooms. Then there are the kitchen, dining room, living room, office area, etc. etc. ...........you get where I am going with this. Even if there were enough bedrooms to house 25 refugees, I would not want to see them housed in the PM's private residence. It is his and his families' home while they are in Ottawa - not a hostel.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
that residence has been in need of upgrading for many years, I don't know why the government hasn't

seen to this, it is shamefull for the head of the country to have to live in a run down building,

no wonder they don't want to.

they shouldn't have to foot the bill, this is the responsibility of the government, that residence

should be top notch for 'whomever' is the prime minister.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
What is ironic is, Had Harper gone ahead with the repairs he would have been attacked by the leftoids.....Now the same people are attacking him for not doing it......crazy!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
that residence has been in need of upgrading for many years, I don't know why the government hasn't

seen to this, it is shamefull for the head of the country to have to live in a run down building,

no wonder they don't want to.

they shouldn't have to foot the bill, this is the responsibility of the government, that residence

should be top notch for 'whomever' is the prime minister.

The National Capital Commission takes care of all renos done on Heritage buildings, talloola and Sussex is one of them. PMs are not expected to foot the bill.

What is ironic is, Had Harper gone ahead with the repairs he would have been attacked by the leftoids.....Now the same people are attacking him for not doing it......crazy!

Lot of truth in that statement, DS. Still, what would have cost 10 million in 2008 dollars will likely be almost double that now and that's if they jump on it right away. They figure it will take at least 18 months to repair. They could start on the inside work and in the warmer months complete the outside work. This is our 'white house' and it should be taken care of lickety-split.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

The National Capitol Commission takes care of all renos done on Heritage buildings, talloola and Sussex is one of them. PMs are not expected to foot the bill.

Lot of truth in that statement, DS. Still, what would have cost 10 million in 2008 dollars will likely be almost double that now and that's if they jump on it right away. They figure it will take at least 18 months to repair. They could start on the inside work and in the warmer months complete the outside work. This is our 'white house' and it should be taken care of lickety-split.

The blame for the disrepair of this residence should fall squarely on the NCC. They could have put their foot down and started repairs a long time ago. Blaming the disrepair on any PM is disingenuous at the least. It is the NCC's job to keep up these buildings. If they haven't been kept up, then it is their fault, and their fault alone.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
So I guess it wouldn't be kosher for the P.M. to spend Saturdays fixing up the joint? The decadence these days!!!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Stop being so silly. You're saltiness is really getting embarrassing