Is Measles a really big deal?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
One of the lead news items on the T.V. news at noon was four cases of measles in Toronto! Are they referring to the same Red Measles we all had as kids. I remember when our entire family was infected except for Dad at the same time about 1/3 of our school was infected. We knew what we had hence didn't necessitate seeing a doctor, just spent about a week in bed and then we were over it. Is this a different strain that's making the rounds now or what? Is it really a matter worthy of the news or is it just a slow news day? They mentioned a hazard for pregnant women. It was German measles back in the day that was a threat to pregnant women, not Red measles. What gives?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yes they are a really big deal...they are not like chicken pox which can be a really big deal for an adult

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yes they are a really big deal...they are not like chicken pox which can be a really big deal for an adult

What has changed in 60 years? When I was a kid we had the whole gamut- Red measles, German measles, mumps and chicken pox, but never went to a doctor. Is the threat of Red Measles greater now?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
What has changed in 60 years? When I was a kid we had the whole gamut- Red measles, German measles, mumps and chicken pox, but never went to a doctor. Is the threat of Red Measles greater now?
knowledge has changed...

they can cause brain damage and even death, why take the chance when it can be prevented

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
knowledge has changed...

they can cause brain damage and even death, why take the chance when it can be prevented

My mother was very sick with Red Measles, but I don't think death was a consideration- she would have been in her mid 30s at the time. Of course even the flu can cause death, but usually just to the dying.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
As many as three of every 1,000 persons with measles will die in the U.S. In the developing world, the rate is much higher, with death occurring in about one of every 100 persons with measles.

Measles causes encephalitis in around 1 in 1,000 children. Encephalitis often causes permanent brain damage or mental retardation. Death occurs in 1 out of 3 000 cases. Complications are more common among people whose immune systems are weakened due to treatment or a serious illness (e.g. leukemia), and among babies under a year old.

In rare cases, measles can lead to the following conditions:
serious eye disorders, such as an infection of the optic nerve (the nerve that transmits information from the eye to the brain), known as optic neuritis, which can lead to blindness
heart and nervous system problems
a fatal brain complication known as subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE), which can sometimes occur several years after measles – however, this is very rare, occurring in only one in every 25,000 cases of measles.

Babies too young to be vaccinated are at great risk.

They have a vaccine against chicken pox because we now realize that it's wise to prevent any disease possible rather then letting it ravage the body. Some diseases, like the chicken pox, may have no immediately negative effect on the body. However, there are things that can effect the body later on because of the chicken pox, like Shingles.

Shingles has its own set of potential complications. So while a child might be healthy at the time they are infected with chicken pox, later in life they may not be so fortunate.

And it's all preventable.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
As many as three of every 1,000 persons with measles will die in the U.S. In the developing world, the rate is much higher, with death occurring in about one of every 100 persons with measles.

Measles causes encephalitis in around 1 in 1,000 children. Encephalitis often causes permanent brain damage or mental retardation. Death occurs in 1 out of 3 000 cases. Complications are more common among people whose immune systems are weakened due to treatment or a serious illness (e.g. leukemia), and among babies under a year old.

serious eye disorders, such as an infection of the optic nerve (the nerve that transmits information from the eye to the brain), known as optic neuritis, which can lead to blindness
a fatal brain complication known as subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE), which can sometimes occur several years after measles – however, this is very rare, occurring in only one in every 25,000 cases of measles.

They have a vaccine against chicken pox because we now realize that it's wise to prevent any disease possible rather then letting it ravage the body. Some diseases, like the chicken pox, may have no immediately negative effect on the body. However, there are things that can effect the body later on because of the chicken pox, like Shingles.

Shingles has its own set of potential complications. So while a child might be healthy at the time they are infected with chicken pox, later in life they may not be so fortunate.

Geez, sounds grim when you put it that way.:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I was but from what Ive read there is apparently a second vaccine needed or recommended for it.

If I'm not mistaken a lot of the childhood vaccinations they now recommend a booster for, not all of them but I'm not sure which ones exactly. And I think that's fairly new. But I might be wrong on that.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Flowers, smiling children and rainbows. Go!

Corpse Flower, Lord of the Flies,

I believe we have all been vaccinated against it haven't we?

I was allergic to the first set of vaccines given to babies. It was deemed serious enough and I was never vaccinated. I rely on herd immunity for everything BUT measles. I got the measles when I was a toddler and was hospitalized.

Herd immunity is what protects babies before they are old enough to be vaccinated.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

yes we had a case of chicken pox last week and the kid had been immunized however because of her immunization the pox contracted was very weak...she had no fever and a few spots but not the raging fever, vomiting and intense itching and pain that would be usual

Geez, sounds grim when you put it that way.:)
it is grim because it would be a preventable death and it could harm so many others as well

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
yes we had a case of chicken pox last week and the kid had been immunized however because of her immunization the pox contracted was very weak...she had no fever and a few spots but not the raging fever, vomiting and intense itching and pain that would be usual

I don't think vaccination is a 100% guarantee, but it reduces the odds so dramatically of contracting the illness that for all practical purposes it may as well be. But it only takes a few not being vaccinated to upset the apple cart.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And immunization still isn't compulsory in Canada.....go figure!
yeah here's the part that is ridiculous...you immunize your kid and at a certain point Public Health checks on that, IF your kid isn't up to date, until this year, that kid got suspended unless or until they got caught up on their needles. HOWEVER, IF you had signed off on their health card saying they weren't getting needles, you were good to go

WTF

this year no suspensions will happen

the mentality sometimes slays me