Norton virus protection.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Looks like them or a knock off has been scamming me for a couple of years- like I've been paying them $78.39 a year and still getting lots of infections. On the credit card payment there is a phone # which I phoned just to get a recording, but no menu to take me any further. Anyone else have a similar problem or am I just stupid? -:) I have a hunch it's someone pretending to be Norton. I filled out one of their forms on line and am still waiting to hear.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sorry to hear about your anti-virus problems, JLM. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and I have never had a virus. I download upgrades every day and scan weekly. It doesn't cost me a thing - came with Vista.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Sorry to hear about your anti-virus problems, JLM. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and I have never had a virus. I download upgrades every day and scan weekly. It doesn't cost me a thing - came with Vista.

Thanks for the information, Mowich. I find with computers there's always some issue. -:)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Looks like them or a knock off has been scamming me for a couple of years- like I've been paying them $78.39 a year and still getting lots of infections. On the credit card payment there is a phone # which I phoned just to get a recording, but no menu to take me any further. Anyone else have a similar problem or am I just stupid? -:) I have a hunch it's someone pretending to be Norton. I filled out one of their forms on line and am still waiting to hear.
do you see the words Norton and Symantec on the screen?
NORTON™ - Antivirus Software and Spyware Removal
Endpoint, Cloud, Mobile & Virtual Security Solutions | Symantec

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I usually buy AVG at Wal-Mart when it goes on sale in August about $35 for three computers..I just take the CD out of the box, give them a call, give them the activation number on the cd, and they email me a new one, and I don't even have to put the cd in any of my three machine.....I just reactivate the exiting program in all computers for another year.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I usually buy AVG at Wal-Mart when it goes on sale in August about $35 for three computers..I just take the CD out of the box, give them a call, give them the activation number on the cd, and they email me a new one, and I don't even have to put the cd in any of my three machine.....I just reactivate the exiting program in all computers for another year.

I used to protect my old computers with AVG for FREE and never had an issue- don't know why I ever quit them. I think when I bought this computer the installer must have just installed Norton. Gotta watch the bastards!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I used to protect my old computers with AVG for FREE and never had an issue- don't know why I ever quit them. I think when I bought this computer the installer must have just installed Norton. Gotta watch the bastards!
And Norton is a B itch to uninstall....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And Norton is a B itch to uninstall....

Well, I've I just reported my problems twice and by the time I'm finished with those bastards they'll find it's a Bitch to get themselves uninstalled from where they are locked up. I'll be notifying my bank in the morning and I have a hunch they are probably already aware of the scam.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
I use McAfee, it has hick ups now and then and sometimes I need to uninstall and reinstall to get it working again.

I think I paid $35 last year to renew my subscription. But I have been thinking of going with either AVG or with Microsoft Security Essentials. Since both are free and nobody seems to have a problem with these so I'm not sure why I should continue to pay if I get the same protection for free????

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I have had Norton and mcafee on the tower. not by choice. I have had problems with the tower but because I am not technically inclined I don't know if the problems were related to Norton and mcafee.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I use McAfee, it has hick ups now and then and sometimes I need to uninstall and reinstall to get it working again.

I think I paid $35 last year to renew my subscription. But I have been thinking of going with either AVG or with Microsoft Security Essentials. Since both are free and nobody seems to have a problem with these so I'm not sure why I should continue to pay if I get the same protection for free????

I would recommend AVG, it works and it's free. It doesn't get any better than that!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Go to www.symantec.com . When you are there, contact them about your problems. However, like Locutus posted below, it sounds like you were the victim of a scam.

I purchase Norton Internet Security every year, for three computers/users, for about $30 ( I split this with my two sisters, so it's only about $10 or so that I end up paying). I have had one major infection in all the time I've had my computer (about 8 years now), and it was only because it was a new version of the Ransomlock virus that hadn't been identified yet as it was brand new. If I had paid attention to Norton's warning and steered clear of that site that day, I wouldn't have even gotten it. That being said, I was able to download the newest definitions before the virus kicked in and I was able to remove it.

Well, I've I just reported my problems twice and by the time I'm finished with those bastards they'll find it's a Bitch to get themselves uninstalled from where they are locked up. I'll be notifying my bank in the morning and I have a hunch they are probably already aware of the scam.

JLM, you'll probably find that the scammers originate from a country that couldn't be bothered to root them out. I hope they would end up getting locked up, but I doubt they'll end up getting caught.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Go to www.symantec.com . When you are there, contact them about your problems. However, like Locutus posted below, it sounds like you were the victim of a scam.

I purchase Norton Internet Security every year, for three computers/users, for about $30 ( I split this with my two sisters, so it's only about $10 or so that I end up paying). I have had one major infection in all the time I've had my computer (about 8 years now), and it was only because it was a new version of the Ransomlock virus that hadn't been identified yet as it was brand new. If I had paid attention to Norton's warning and steered clear of that site that day, I wouldn't have even gotten it. That being said, I was able to download the newest definitions before the virus kicked in and I was able to remove it.

JLM, you'll probably find that the scammers originate from a country that couldn't be bothered to root them out. I hope they would end up getting locked up, but I doubt they'll end up getting caught.

After filing a couple of uncomplimentary reports, things seemed to have "straightened out" and for the past week haven't had any big problems so maybe it's best just to let sleeping dogs lie.