Why Can't I Grow Radishes?


JLM
+1
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

I've eaten nettles. They're rich man's spinach.

Guess it depends on where you live, there was scads of them growing wild 100' from our back door when I was a kid.
 
Spade
+2
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Guess it depends on where you live, there was scads of them growing wild 100' from our back door when I was a kid.

Wild Edible Plants of Alberta (external - login to view)
 
JLM
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Wild Edible Plants of Alberta (external - login to view)

Look exactly the same as the ones on Vancouver Island when I was a kid.
 
talloola
+1
#34
I can't grow them either, probably because I didn't plant them, don't like them much, i'll buy a bunch

when I make potatoe salad, only time I eat them. They just brighten up the salad, can't taste them at

all.
 
JLM
+1
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

I can't grow them either, probably because I didn't plant them, don't like them much, i'll buy a bunch

when I make potatoe salad, only time I eat them. They just brighten up the salad, can't taste them at

all.

I'm not big on radishes either, too woody, too wormy and go to seed too fast!
 
Spade
+2
#36
A saucer of salt and a fistful of radishes - ambrosia!
 
JLM
+2
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

A saucer of salt and a fistful of radishes - ambrosia!

Have you tried it with head cheese?
 
Goober
+2
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Have you tried it with head cheese?

Head cheese (AmE), or brawn (BrE), is a cold cut that originated in Europe. A version pickled with vinegar is known as souse. Head cheese is not a cheese but a terrine or meat jelly made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow), and often set in aspic. Which parts of the head are used can vary, but the brain, eyes, and ears are usually removed. The tongue, and sometimes even the feet and heart, may be included.

Head cheese may be flavored with onion, black pepper, allspice, bay leaf, salt, and vinegar. It is usually eaten cold or at room temperature as a luncheon meat. It can also be made from quality trimmings from pork and veal, adding gelatin to the stock as a binder.

Historically, meat jellies were made of the cleaned (all organs removed) head of the animal, which was simmered to produce stock, a peasant food made since the Middle Ages. When cooled, the stock congeals because of the natural gelatin found in the skull. The aspic may need additional gelatin, or more often, reduction to set properly.

YUCK. Puke Cheese.
 
eh1eh
+1
#39
Ummm. Ever considered bunnies? They love that stuff. I can not grow anything like that in my garden.
 
Goober
+3
#40  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Ummm. Ever considered bunnies? They love that stuff. I can not grow anything like that in my garden.

Bunnies are hard to grow- Every time you plant them, back out they come-
 
petros
+1
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1ehView Post

Ummm. Ever considered bunnies? They love that stuff. I can not grow anything like that in my garden.

Bunnies not quite but bunny food definetly. A 50lb sack of pelletized alfalfa is $15 and rototills in nicely for wicked natural green matter for aerration and soil stimulation. Fireplace ashes at the same time really gives it some oomph and the char is awesome from breaking down clays.
 
Spade
+2
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Which parts of the head are used can vary, but the brain, eyes, and ears are usually removed.

Ooops!

Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Bunnies are hard to grow- Every time you plant them, back out they come-

Not if you plant them with a pitchfork.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Bunnies not quite but bunny food definetly. A 50lb sack of pelletized alfalfa is $15 and rototills in nicely for wicked natural green matter for aerration and soil stimulation. Fireplace ashes at the same time really gives it some oomph and the char is awesome from breaking down clays.

Thanks! A number on line suggested ashes.
 
JLM
+1
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

YUCK. Puke Cheese.

But a delicacy nontheless!
 
Goober
+1
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

But a delicacy nontheless!

OK- Certain things I made my wife promise to do - Shoot me - if I ever
Wore stretch knit pants. Remember all those old guys in the 70's wearing them- were you that old back then?
Added today - eat head cheese.
 
Spade
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

OK- Certain things I made my wife promise to do - Shoot me - if I ever
Wore stretch knit pants. Remember all those old guys in the 70's wearing them- were you that old back then?
Added today - eat head cheese.

Add comb-over.

 
Nuggler
+1
#46
I hate radishes.

We haven't planted any in years, and yet the odd one still pokes it ****tty little leaves up.

Plant squash. More ho for the hoe and they don't burn your mouth.

 

Similar Threads

121
When Mom and Dad Grow Old
by sanctus | Feb 23rd, 2007
0
When Mom and Dad Grow Old
by sanctus | Dec 2nd, 2006
17
Help us grow!
by Administration | Sep 25th, 2004
no new posts