I just got new hearing aids. They are spectacular!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My hearing has been going down hill for 15 years or more. I invested in hearing aids ten or twelve years ago. The hearing aids I bought
then were primitive compared with what is available today. The old hearing aids were very uncomfortable. I have to check with my fingers to see if the new ones are in.
The end result is that my hearing is just about perfect. The new hearing aids are digital and computer controlled and they tell me
where a sound is coming from even though the hearing in my left ear is almost gone. A lot more expensive but well worth it. I didn't think my hearing could be fixed. I'm glad my audiologist pushed me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm glad to hear it juan. I turned 32 this year and have already hit the point that i have to turn my head so that my left ear can actch the sounds. Especially conversation. There's simply no point in whispering sweet nothings in my ear unless it's the left... lol. I'm willing to bet that a hearing aid on my right hand side will be a definite must by 45.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
My husband was fitted with hearing aids about 20 years ago by WCB, because of damage throughout the years
in the mill.

He wore them for about one month, then put them in the drawer, and there they sit.

I wonder if WCB will replace those outdated, (but new, lol) ones, with the new ones.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
My hearing has been going down hill for 15 years or more. I invested in hearing aids ten or twelve years ago. The hearing aids I bought
then were primitive compared with what is available today. The old hearing aids were very uncomfortable. I have to check with my fingers to see if the new ones are in.
The end result is that my hearing is just about perfect. The new hearing aids are digital and computer controlled and they tell me
where a sound is coming from even though the hearing in my left ear is almost gone. A lot more expensive but well worth it. I didn't think my hearing could be fixed. I'm glad my audiologist pushed me.

Any connection between your air service and the hearing loss Juan?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

"WHAT?"

Just kidding.... good to hear they're giving you a better quality of life.

My hearing isn't losing anything more than what was already there or not.... but I'd have what you'd call selective hearing, in that I can hear the smallest sound that most people can't hear, but I can't easily focus on one sound over the other. In other words, someone can be talking to me and I can hear everything they're saying but the moment a car drives by or there's a sound made louder than they are, my hearing focuses on that louder sound and whatever they just said didn't process at all and I have to ask them to say it again.

Which is why I never liked the bar/club scene, because I can never hear what anybody is saying, nor can I even hear myself speak, because the music or the dozens/hundreds of other people talking & shouting cancels everything out, I'm completely useless and I simply don't enjoy myself because I'm way out of my element of knowing what's going on around me.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
My husband was fitted with hearing aids about 20 years ago by WCB, because of damage throughout the years
in the mill.

He wore them for about one month, then put them in the drawer, and there they sit.

I wonder if WCB will replace those outdated, (but new, lol) ones, with the new ones.

I am not sure about your hubby's case, talloola, but I was able to get new aids through WCB about three years ago now and they were life-changing for me. As juan mentioned in his post, the new aids are technologically superior to former aids. I am profoundly deaf and the day I came home with my new aids was the first time in over two decades that I could hear birds sing. I was also able to turn the TV and radio down to a volume where my neighbors no longer knew what I was watching or listening. :smile: Okay, the last one is a bit of an exaggeration but truly the difference in my ability to hear what is going on around me is beyond anything I could have hoped for.

From one hearing impaired to another, I am really truly happy for you, juan. The inability to hear properly really limits ones participation in so many things.

Just wondering what the name of the company is that produces your aids? Mine are made by Phonak and have all the bells and whistles that you mentioned in your post.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I am not sure about your hubby's case, talloola, but I was able to get new aids through WCB about three years ago now and they were life-changing for me. As juan mentioned in his post, the new aids are technologically superior to former aids. I am profoundly deaf and the day I came home with my new aids was the first time in over two decades that I could hear birds sing. I was also able to turn the TV and radio down to a volume where my neighbors no longer knew what I was watching or listening. :smile: Okay, the last one is a bit of an exaggeration but truly the difference in my ability to hear what is going on around me is beyond anything I could have hoped for.
_________________________________________________________________________________
OK, I will make some inquiries, but the biggest problem will probably be my husband, as he has a negative
attitude about the hearing aids, and he's italian too, lol

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Any connection between your air service and the hearing loss Juan?

I don't think so. The danger would be from aircraft running up to high rpm on the ground. We usually tried to avoid that. Actually the noise you experience sitting in a fighter jet at mach 1 is about like sitting in your car on the freeway at 70mph.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I

From one hearing impaired to another, I am really truly happy for you, juan. The inability to hear properly really limits ones participation in so many things.

Just wondering what the name of the company is that produces your aids? Mine are made by Phonak and have all the bells and whistles that you mentioned in your post.

Same company. I got them through Beltone.

They really make a difference. All those years of being on the outskirts of every conversation really makes you appreciate
moderne hearing aids. I used to grin and nod a lot...:smile:

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I don't think so. The danger would be from aircraft running up to high rpm on the ground. We usually tried to avoid that. Actually the noise you experience sitting in a fighter jet at mach 1 is about like sitting in your car on the freeway at 70mph.

My brother worked ground crew and his hearing is pretty screwed up. Being an ex-artillery type all I can say is. "Huh? What was that?" :)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

They really make a difference. All those years of being on the outskirts of every conversation really makes you appreciate

I know what you mean, my husband doesn't hear very well at all, and some of the answers he gives are
rather interesting, sometimes having nothing to do with what was said at all, and if appropriate I
will interject and help him out, BUT it is very annoying when he thinks he knows what he heard and
will argue the point, jeesh. lol

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I know what you mean, my husband doesn't hear very well at all, and some of the answers he gives are
rather interesting, sometimes having nothing to do with what was said at all, and if appropriate I
will interject and help him out, BUT it is very annoying when he thinks he knows what he heard and

lol... my grandma helps my grandpa out like that too. He is equally stubborn about conceding the point. Mainly because she's the one with the hearing problem, and refuses to realize/admit it. So she's always thinking he missed something, apologizing for him.... lol... it's cute to watch.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

I learned to read lips pretty well and people often got uncomfortable because I would concentrate on their mouths most of the time. One of the greatest gifts of these aids is being able to look someone right in the eye when I talk to them. :smile:

Oh I have been there, talloola........... at times I had friends laughing out loud with some of my answers to comments or questions. For the most part though it was just as frustrating for others as it was for me. Mind you, I did learn many creative ways of asking someone to repeat themselves. :lol:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My brother worked ground crew and his hearing is pretty screwed up. Being an ex-artillery type all I can say is. "Huh? What was that?" :)

Didn't you wear ear plugs and other ear protection?

I would suggest that you get your hearing checked by an audiologist. Your normal health care provides $750.00 per ear and WCB will
take care of the rest. If I had been a bit more aggressive I probably could have gotten all of it covered by WCB. $4600.00 was the total.

I learned to read lips pretty well and people often got uncomfortable because I would concentrate on their mouths most of the time. One of the greatest gifts of these aids is being able to look someone right in the eye when I talk to them. :smile:

/QUOTE]

The lips are just one of the visual indications of what a person is saying. There are quite a few more.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Didn't you wear ear plugs and other ear protection?

I would suggest that you get your hearing checked by an audiologist. Your normal health care provides $750.00 per ear and WCB will
take care of the rest. If I had been a bit more aggressive I probably could have gotten all of it covered by WCB. $4600.00 was the total.

Actually I have a hearing aid and I also have severe tinnitis, this is covered by the VAC. As for hearing protection: Thousands of 155 rounds down range and live fire shooting with small arms takes its toll. Hearing protection is used on the howitzers, but during a section or platoon attack when orders have to be passed they are not worth the risk of killing your buddy or not hearing warning orders.

Even on the big guns you are immune to the occasional big bang when you least expect it.

I just booked in with a ENT, I can't get in until October.