Free Online Education, finally!

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Be cool if they had an English Lit section.

It was just financed by Bill Gate not long ago I expect it to grow.
Before that he was doing it for free, with a bit of time you could get
your English Literature section. =)

That's an impressive collection of lessons!

Yep, I could not keep this all to myself. I must share with my country men and women.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It was just financed by Bill Gate not long ago I expect it to grow.
Before that he was doing it for free, with a bit of time you could get
your English Literature section. =)

Yep, I could not keep this all to myself. I must share with my country men and women.
That would be very cool.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This looks very cool. Definitely a good idea, great potential to make a huge impact on people all over the world.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I watched 4 lessons on biology last night.
Today I was explaining it to my older daughter,
and watched it together. She looked really interested.
We had fun

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
I am curious what will happen if they try to issue credits and degrees.

without them, they are will still be a tutorial site, or a place for personal development.

with them, they would really rock the boat.

I wish them well.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Saw this on the Daily Show (Or it might have been Colbert). Looks like a great idea, and contrary to what Angstrom writes I can tell you that every teacher would welcome it. Self education always works better than formal classroom situations. Teachers never regard any effort on the part of students to educate themselves as a threat. In fact that is something all teachers have striven for milennia to impart to their students.

I should point out, however, that good as the site it, students still have to be motivated to use it. The internet has offered hundreds of educational sites for several years, most of which have been generally ignored by most students - especially those that are not academically inclined. Quite frankly, given my interests, the last video I would be inclined to watch would be one entitled "Multiplying polynomials," but at least the video is there for those who might want to watch it.

Another problem would be the somewhat eclectic nature of the material provided, since the curriculum in every province and state is different. However, many of the lessons would be quite useful provided the students accessing them could fit them into the appropriate area of their studies. Also, as Cranky points out it would be hard to earn any credits from such a site, but it would be valuable in explaining concepts to students.

Another step forward in the battle to impart knowledge and wisdom.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I am curious what will happen if they try to issue credits and degrees.

without them, they are will still be a tutorial site, or a place for personal development.

with them, they would really rock the boat.

I wish them well.

I think thats the hole point. Who cares about credits.
The mastery of knowledge is whats important, not some make
pretend stamp by government. This is helpful to people
that want to run there own company.

Saw this on the Daily Show (Or it might have been Colbert). Looks like a great idea, and contrary to what Angstrom writes I can tell you that every teacher would welcome it. Self education always works better than formal classroom situations. Teachers never regard any effort on the part of students to educate themselves as a threat. In fact that is something all teachers have striven for milennia to impart to their students.
Another step forward in the battle to impart knowledge and wisdom.

Was on Colbert report.

When I say screw you Education Industrial complex.
I'm talking about the 200$ college text books they revise every year,
and the yearly 26 000$ USA college tuition fee's.

I can't wait for that credit bubble to burst.
How much debt did you have by the time
you where done University Bar Sinister?

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think thats the hole point. Who cares about credits.
The mastery of knowledge is whats important, not some make
pretend stamp by government. This is helpful to people
that want to run there own company.

Was on Colbert report.

When I say screw you Education Industrial complex.
I'm talking about the 200$ college text books they revise every year,
and the yearly 26 000$ USA college tuition fee's.

I can't wait for that credit bubble to burst.
How much debt did you have by the time
you where done University Bar Sinister?

$2000 - but I graduated with my second degree in 1972. That was equivalent to a third of a year's salary in those days. It took me three years to pay it off.

However, is that really the point? Tuition fees were the least of my financial worries. Paying for food, clothing, and shelter, while attending university was the big cost.

And you are wrong about credits not being important. There has to be some way of judging whether or not an individual that claims to have a certain level of education really has that education. Or are you the type of person who would go to a doctor who claims he is competent after having learned all about medicine on the internet? Ditto for dentists, and myriad other technical individuals. I don't want my house wired by someone who thinks he knows electricity I want it wired by some who actually does know electricity and has the journeyman's certificate to prove it.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
$2000 - but I graduated with my second degree in 1972. That was equivalent to a third of a year's salary in those days. It took me three years to pay it off.

However, is that really the point? Tuition fees were the least of my financial worries. Paying for food, clothing, and shelter, while attending university was the big cost.

Today in the USA for the same diploma you have you would be 150 000$ in debt after 4 years of university. Be thankful you grew up before all the greedy assholes took over the world. They charge 200$ a book now. How much did your books cost? I bet they even doubled the number of books we need now from what you had to buy back then too. And I bet your text books where not revised every year to stop you from selling them to other student to get some of the money back. Be happy your parents generation didn't totally rip you off by brainwashing you education was the only way so they can get you for every penny you don't have like the baby boomers do.

And you are wrong about credits not being important. There has to be some way of judging whether or not an individual that claims to have a certain level of education really has that education. Or are you the type of person who would go to a doctor who claims he is competent after having learned all about medicine on the internet? Ditto for dentists, and myriad other technical individuals. I don't want my house wired by someone who thinks he knows electricity I want it wired by some who actually does know electricity and has the journeyman's certificate to prove it.

The Dentists I trust have been doing it for 10 years or more, and the reason they are good has nothing to do with there schools, and everything to do with experience and a passion to be the best at what they do.

I would not put my life in someone hands simply cause they have a diploma, Or trust a journeyman cause of his red seal alone. I'll hire someone with at least 10 years experience, nothing less. Why?
Cause all the most important things you need to learn about your job you wont be learning them in a class room. Can you sit here and honestly say you learned all the most important things you do as a teacher today at University? I'm willing to bet 90% of the most importent stuff you learned you did by actually teaching, am I wrong?

The Education Industrial Complex has you well brainwashed. I guess as a teacher you have to be. You have to sell it to your class room everyday to motivate them that its all worth it.

You really think Education is not a big scam today? Open your eye's.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Today in the USA for the same diploma you have you would be 150 000$ in debt after 4 years of university. Be thankful you grew up before all the greedy assholes took over the world. They charge 200$ a book now. How much did your books cost? I bet they even doubled the number of books we need now from what you had to buy back then too. And I bet your text books where not revised every year to stop you from selling them to other student to get some of the money back. Be happy your parents generation didn't totally rip you off by brainwashing you education was the only way so they can get you for every penny you don't have like the baby boomers do.

The Dentists I trust have been doing it for 10 years or more, and the reason they are good has nothing to do with there schools, and everything to do with experience and a passion to be the best at what they do.

I would not put my life in someone hands simply cause they have a diploma, Or trust a journeyman cause of his red seal alone. I'll hire someone with at least 10 years experience, nothing less. Why?
Cause all the most important things you need to learn about your job you wont be learning them in a class room. Can you sit here and honestly say you learned all the most important things you do as a teacher today at University? I'm willing to bet 90% of the most importent stuff you learned you did by actually teaching, am I wrong?

The Education Industrial Complex has you well brainwashed. I guess as a teacher you have to be. You have to sell it to your class room everyday to motivate them that its all worth it.

You really think Education is not a big scam today? Open your eye's.

Actually textbooks during my time were quite expensive, at least as expensive as they are now relative to how much I had to spend. And yes, the trick of changing each book slightly each year was already well known. So nothing new there. I have no idea how many books modern students are required to buy. I studied history and English, courses which often required the purchase of six or seven books each.

So far as my debt was concerned I kept it low by keeping my discretionary spending as close to zero as possible. When other students were spending money on cars and women and other non-essentials I lived like a monk. Most of my fellow students finished their studies with debts several times the size of mine. Considering the difference in incomes during that time (early 1970s) the debt ratio for most of them was about the same as today.

As for your reference to your dentist, you seem to be overlooking the fact that he had to jump through the same educational hoops as everyone else in order to get his diploma. In other words, before he could gain experience in the workplace he had to prove that he was capable of attaining the standards established by the dental school he attended.

And no I am not brainwashed. I often pointed out to my students that they did not need an education in order to be successful. I was a bit of a maverick so far as following school protocols were concerned, and most principals learned to leave me alone and let me do my thing.

The thing is, Angstrom, every student is ultimately responsible for what he or she gets out of the educational system. It is very easy to blame the system, but students really have to take charge of their own learning. Those that choose to learn will learn; and those that don't won't. Like all students, when I attended school I had good and bad teachers. I learned better under the good teachers, but I also learned in spite of the bad teachers. It is all too easy to blame the system an simply give up. I suppose in an ideal world all teachers would resemble Jamie Escalante. The fact is that teaching is like any other profession; some are simply better at it than others, just as I suspect, as is the case in whatever profession you have chosen.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Your clueless of the situation cause your not living it.
If you had to start your adult life today, you would understand me.
If you had 2 young kids at home right now, and no work cause everyone is undercutting you and there is less demand today then 5 years ago with more and more people in the work force then you would know a little bit of what's going on today. But your not in that situation. You live in a hole different Canada, then me. Your insulated from what's happening to me. Its called job security. Your reality has nothing to do at all with my reality your opinion is based on how things where 40 years ago. Your the rich class.
Don't sit here and pretend you know anything of what's going on to young adults today.

I have no idea how many books modern students are required to buy.
Considering the difference in incomes during that time (early 1970s) the debt ratio for most of them was about the same as today.

You have absolutely no idea what the current college and University student situation are, your talking right out of your ass. Go try to get your diploma today. Don't give me this horse **** you have absolutely no idea about. Please educate yourself before saying stuff that's just flat out wrong, and ignorant.

As for your reference to your dentist, you seem to be overlooking the fact that he had to jump through the same educational hoops as everyone else in order to get his diploma. In other words, before he could gain experience in the workplace he had to prove that he was capable of attaining the standards established by the dental school he attended.

OK Publish everything needed to know about dentistry free of charge on the Internet, and every other practice or trade, Then set a none profit Test on knowledge for diploma. They would never do that, why? Cause there greedy babyboomers that want to milk every penny out of there own children. Thats why.​
Regulation and control over who can issue diploma's and how much money it cost to get a diploma is wrong cause it will be exploited. Education with Internet should already be free. all of it. But they control it for there own gain. Its the sick thing a generation do to there kids. Its like saying sorry you don't start at 0. You start at -150 000$ plus 5 % intrest on the next 10 years.

And no I am not brainwashed.

LoL
Don't worry just keep living your perfect life.

There is a real problem happening cause of people's greed. But don't pay attention to it.
Don't worry about it your the one benefiting from it at this point.
I'll screw my kids for everything they have one day, and I'll get what's mine.
So keep telling me to stop whining!

Last edited:

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
Im am not convinced that the mastery of knowledge is that important to me in mid life. I think the mastery of wisdom and managing is more important.

Have you ever heard the expression 'too much knowledge, not enough basic common sense'? Well that is the difference between a twenty something engineer and his project manager.

We need more leaders. Knowledge can always be hired or outsourced :)

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Not to burst your bubble but certification does not equal competence. All certification means is that you passed a test. I have multiple trades qualifications and certified in some but have run into many people with pieces of paper that IMO are in no way qualified. This includes doctors, nurses and teachers. I learned a long time ago when running my own business not to put too much stock in papers. Performance is what counts.

Im am not convinced that the mastery of knowledge is that important to me in mid life. I think the mastery of wisdom and managing is more important.

Have you ever heard the expression 'too much knowledge, not enough basic common sense'? Well that is the difference between a twenty something engineer and his project manager.

We need more leaders. Knowledge can always be hired or outsourced :)

Too much knowledge and not enough common sense describes teachers perfectly. I know a few contractors that simply will not do work for a teacher. The money isn't worth the stress.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Oh Common sense I got a good story on that!

My landlord, raised my rent not long ago.

I asked him why? He said, inflation..... Huh?
So I asked him if he was in any financial problems.
He said no.

I asked him if his luxurious standard of living where dropping?
He said, not really. In fact I just bought a brand new RV.

I asked him, if his savings where going down.
Again he said no.

So I asked him why is it you need more money?
He said I don't really need more money.

So I asked him why are you bringing up my rent then if your
Living a luxurious life with everything you every dreamed.

He said cause everyone else is bringing up there rent.

So I said, let me get this.... I'm having a harder time, every year to feed my family, but still you
feels the need to make more money from me, even if deep down you have absolutely no real use for it.

The hole lot of us is bent on greed.
Common sense is something that existed before industrialization took over,
Schools and banks totally killed Common sense.
And no one on top wants to fight it, cause they have tones of money.
Since there not living the consquence of there greed they don't have a clue.

Last edited:

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada
Thanks again for this website, this is fascinating.
Hopefully the History section continues to expand.

He has obvious bias when discussing communism, as expected from someone who's lived in Amerikkka his entire life, but otherwise his videos are magnificent.