Rick Rypien

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
wondering why you would want to chat about ripien, when he has taken an indefinite leave of absence,
undisclosed personal reasons, the second time he has had to do that.

I wish him well, hope he's back soon, but I'm not thinking of him as a tough guy right now.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
wondering why you would want to chat about ripien, when he has taken an indefinite leave of absence,
undisclosed personal reasons, the second time he has had to do that.

I wish him well, hope he's back soon, but I'm not thinking of him as a tough guy right now.

Well if it's personal then he really doesnt have to disclose why.
Sometimes you have to be tough to do what you have to do.
As he is a local boy I'm sure I could find out but I wont.

bit of a feisty one. lol.

Pound for pound he's one of the best fighters in the sport,a real pit bull.His dad was a golden gloves champ so he was taught well and growing up in a mining town gives you some experience.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Proud of a GOON?

Does playing HOCKEY mean anything any more?

ripien has hockey sklls and skates very well, maybe the
discription of a goon contains more these days than just
an air head and the will to fight successfully, players who
have no skills today other than being a fighter, don't makes it
onto the teams, there a few hang overs from a few years ago, but they
are on the way out.

the hockey is better now than 'ever' before. Interesting, as I just
read a interview with gretzky, and he said the same thing.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Well if it's personal then he really doesnt have to disclose why.
Sometimes you have to be tough to do what you have to do.
As he is a local boy I'm sure I could find out but I wont.

Pound for pound he's one of the best fighters in the sport,a real pit bull.His dad was a golden gloves champ so he was taught well and growing up in a mining town gives you some experience.

no, I don't want to know his personal business either.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Goons like this punk caused me to ignore hockey since 1974 when the Philadephia Bullies "WON" the Stanley Cup. Re-inforced by the insanity when they repeated in 1975.

When fighting and goon behaviour becomes acceptable in gymnastics, track and field, archery, skiing, chess and twiddly winks I will be proud of a yahooo like this.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Goons like this punk caused me to ignore hockey since 1974 when the Philadephia Bullies "WON" the Stanley Cup. Re-inforced by the insanity when they repeated in 1975.

When fighting and goon behaviour becomes acceptable in gymnastics, track and field, archery, skiing, chess and twiddly winks I will be proud of a yahooo like this.

Judging by the fans excitement I would say your in a minority then,fighting has and allways will be a part of hockey.People cheer when a fight breaks out for a reason and Rick doesnt throw any cheap shots.I'ts like the fights after school where he grew up,once a guys down the fight's over.He isnt scared to fight anyone regardless of their size.
You cant compare a sport like hockey to tiddlywinks or chess allthough there has been a few fights involved in every sport you mentioned.
I played right wing for many years and I know that it's hard to keep things under control when someone runs you into the boards with the sole intention of putting you out of the game.
If your tough then you will be singled out,it's like the fastest gunslinger in the old west,beating him gives you instant status.
Lots of folks think Marty Mcsorley was a goon also but I met him and he did more for the sport of hockey then most will ever know just with his support for the farm teams and getting kids into it instead of drugs.
I met all the oilers on a flight to LA once and got pics of Anderson ,mcsorley and even Gretzky in the cockpit of the 747.
They are there to play hockey and if a fight breaks out it's secondary,not one of them said they wanted to play just to fight.

Tom conners said it best in his song the good ol hockey game.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Kakato, as the old saying goes, to each his own.

I stated my case when I said that hockey lost me forever because of goons like the Philadelphia Bullies then and the Rick Rypiens of today.

The crowd reaction to a fight is not any vindication of the merit of fighting in hockey but more like reflection of the mentality of the crowd. That crowd would nicely fit in with the crowd in ancient Rome who would like to see nothing better than the demise of a losing gladiator.

And remember that hockey was played without fights in Europe and Russia before it was contaminated by the disease of Canadian/North American violence. And lest you forget it, it was quite entertaining and internationally successful.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

I stated my case when I said that hockey lost me forever because of goons like the Philadelphia Bullies then and the Rick Rypiens of today.

The crowd reaction to a fight is not any vindication of the merit of fighting in hockey but more like reflection of the mentality of the crowd. That crowd would nicely fit in with the crowd in ancient Rome who would like to see nothing better than the demise of a losing gladiator.

And remember that hockey was played without fights in Europe and Russia before it was contaminated by the disease of Canadian/North American violence. And lest you forget it, it was quite entertaining and internationally successful.

I guess you missed the big fight during Canada and Russian juniors.

They have allways fought,as far back as Russian games have been televised they fought.
Pretty hard to blame Canadian and Americans for fighting when lots of the fighters here came from Europe and Russia.

You cant blame Canadians and Americans for this,russias been doing it just as long as anyone.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Yeah, Kakato, I missed it, because like I said I lost interest in hockey of all kinds in 1974. Or 1975 to be more charitable.

If you want to prove that fighting is necessary in hockey please refer to the 1972 series between Canada and the Soviet Union.

Which was the BEST hockey the world had ever seen at that point in history and the best it will ever see, in spite of some great individual talents since then, like Wayne Gretzky or that guy in Pittsburgh.

Or even Rick Rypien.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Those kids must be real proud.

But not any prouder than the "parents"(?) who taught them be be thugs at the earliest age possible.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I see your point Y.J. hockey skills require a lot more talent than fighting skills. BUT you and I ain't going to change anything, so why not take what enjoyment you can get where you can? I was watching a boxing match years ago when all of a sudden a hockey game broke out..........:lol::lol::lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

even if there was no fighting at all, the northamerican game is much more exciting than any european hockey.
just ask players, as they would much rather play on the small ice, faster game, more contact, no
time to skate very far with the puck, must pass it, no comparison

europelan hockey is very vanilla.

the olympics was very exciting, 'but' played on the small ice surface, big difference.

Yeah, Kakato, I missed it, because like I said I lost interest in hockey of all kinds in 1974. Or 1975 to be more charitable.

If you want to prove that fighting is necessary in hockey please refer to the 1972 series between Canada and the Soviet Union.

Which was the BEST hockey the world had ever seen at that point in history and the best it will ever see, in spite of some great individual talents since then, like Wayne Gretzky or that guy in Pittsburgh.

Or even Rick Rypien.

Idon't mind the odd fight in a game, sometimes games are a little too mechanical, teams are feeling each
other out, or the usual spark just isn't there, all of a sudden two guys 'who sense this', have a fight,
the crowd comes to their feet, and the benches are all on their feet, and the game immediately changes,
the spark arrives, and the game continues without any more fights, at a much more passionate level, and
more enjoyable for players and fans.
The game now, is nothing at all like back in the seventies and eighties, totally different, and if you
gave up the game then, you know nothing about todays hockey, because you don't watch it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
even if there was no fighting at all, the northamerican game is much more exciting than any european hockey.
just ask players, as they would much rather play on the small ice, faster game, more contact, no
time to skate very far with the puck, must pass it, no comparison

europelan hockey is very vanilla.

The European game is superior. The only problem with it is that money brings all the big names to North America so the product is even more diluted than the NHL. Cut the number of NHL teams in half and play with European rules and rinks.....dare to dream.