Hockey (winter olympics)

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
Do you candains want to see a match up in hockey between usa and Candida?

By the way nice job taking care of the Russia. Now its time for usa to t ake care of you guys ;) if we can beat the other team. (finland) I was never big fan of hockey but watching it now.... i think its "growing on me" so i am somewhat new to the sport.

Unlike baseball,football,soccer etc...

Question for you all hockey fans. for the Olympics hockey rink was it smaller or bigger than the nhl hockey rinks?

Wish you all the best on other side of border.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
This year, to save costs, the rink is the nhl standard size. I believe that Olympic rinks are usually a few metres longer.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
This year, to save costs, the rink is the nhl standard size. I believe that Olympic rinks are usually a few metres longer.

I don't know if that's a cost savings measure opposed to the realities of playing in North America.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm surprised the IOC let them have a smaller ice surface, but there is still more room behind the net than on NHL ice.

World Juniors play on NHL sized rinks every time they come to North America. North America shouldn't have to build new arenas to accommodate the Euros

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

The standard NHL rink is 2oo feet by 80 feet. and the Olympic rink is 200 feet by 100 feet.. In the Olympic rink the goal lines are 13 feet from the end boards and in the NHL rink the goal lines are 11 feet from the boards.

The cost savings come because with the smaller rink they can fit in more paying customers.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
"I was shocked that it was this one-sided. And I was really disappointed that these guys came with their euro-trash game. It was just. No heart, no guts, no nothing there to back it up. I mean Alex Ovechkin was an average player tonight. I know they're going to bounce back, but to be that poor and to be that intimidated physically by the Canadians, that really shocked me."

Mike Milbury

He's kinda like the American version of Don Cherry

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
the euopean big rink doesn't bring the exciting game that
the NHL rink does, I hope we never change to it.

I remember an interview with Naslund, where he said he loves
playing on the small rink, more fun, faster.

I've watched lots of games on the big ice, and he is right,
not enough contact, players farther apart, can't chase
after players on the boards, as they will just pass it
all the way across to someone else, who has lots of room
too, it becomes very boring.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"I was shocked that it was this one-sided. And I was really disappointed that these guys came with their euro-trash game. It was just. No heart, no guts, no nothing there to back it up. I mean Alex Ovechkin was an average player tonight. I know they're going to bounce back, but to be that poor and to be that intimidated physically by the Canadians, that really shocked me."

Mike Milbury

He's kinda like the American version of Don Cherry
Well thereya go, he's snail sh!t then ain't he...:lol:

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The standard NHL rink is 2oo feet by 80 feet. and the Olympic rink is 200 feet by 100 feet.. In the Olympic rink the goal lines are 13 feet from the end boards and in the NHL rink the goal lines are 11 feet from the boards.

The cost savings come because with the smaller rink they can fit in more paying customers.
Anyone know what size rinks were used in Salt Lake City and Calgary?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You know what the cool thing is? on ctvolympics.ca, you can watch the 'world feed' of the games, which gives you no commentary, just the sounds of the game, the crowd, the sticks, etc....there's no commentators at all.

It's pretty cool.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Anyone know what size rinks were used in Salt Lake City and Calgary?

The saddledome was where hockey was played in the 1988 olympics, NHL sized as the Flames play there still.

Utah might have used Olympic sized ice.

What is basically boils down to is, if an NHL or Junior team is going to play there regularly it will be an NHL sized rink.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I still say that Canada will take the Gold in hockey. Those guys losing twice in front of the home crowd? Highly unlikely.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The Canadians understand what is at stake and we as Americans have hockey 4th on the list of most loved sports.

I've seen more people at a Texas High School football game than I do at the Bruins games.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
The saddledome was where hockey was played in the 1988 olympics, NHL sized as the Flames play there still.

Utah might have used Olympic sized ice.

What is basically boils down to is, if an NHL or Junior team is going to play there regularly it will be an NHL sized rink.
Thanks, that is what I thought.