Who can really argue with the basic philosophy if you are not Christian, of Jesus –

Who can really argue with the basic philosophy of Jesus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We have Atheists – Humanists – Agnostics – Philosophers that are in agreement or not with another philosopher, must drive students crazy – Religions as diverse or at times a common thread runs through – Abraham is traced back by Jews, Christians and Muslims.

So regardless of where you fit in – Who can really argue with the basic philosophy if you are not Christian, of Jesus –

Atheists - somebody who does not believe in God or deities.

Humanist - a system of thought that is based on the values, characteristics, and behavior that are believed to be best in human beings, rather than on any supernatural authority.

Agnostic - somebody who believes that it is impossible to know whether or not God exists or somebody who doubts that a question has one correct answer or that something can be completely understood.

Jesus Christ – Peace, Love thy neighbor – Judge not lest you be judged – Turn the other check – and so on.
Just one link as I am sure other may post their own links.

http://thelife.com/discover/faith/jesus/whowasjesus/

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Hi Goodber,

In case you were wondering why your post took so long to appear, it's because all posts that contain links by folks with less than 25 posts are held back until a moderator can take a look at them. Just an anti-spam feature.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Zan

Thank you – Still trying to find my way around – some really interesting threads.
Also not to computer literate – Thick skin and skull at times.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
There are parts I agree with, like the ones you posted. But, I don't agree with him when he says the only way to heaven is through him.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Hi Goober,
Yes, I believe in the basic philosophy: peace, charity, forgiveness, brotherhood. But, you know that most Christians do not. And the god-man myth detracts from his basic message, since it blinds those who profess Christianity from that message. It douses the fire in that message with dogma. And so, the mendicant Jewish rabbi became an icon for abuse, war, persecution, and enslavement. So, perhaps you can be a good Jew, Moslem, Buddhist, and so on, and follow his basic message, but I am not certain the true-believer Christian can.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Zan

Thank you – Still trying to find my way around – some really interesting threads.
Also not to computer literate – Thick skin and skull at times.
Hi Goober. Welcome to CC. You will like it here.
(VanIsle)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Hi Goober,
Yes, I believe in the basic philosophy: peace, charity, forgiveness, brotherhood. But, you know that most Christians do not. And the god-man myth detracts from his basic message, since it blinds those who profess Christianity from that message. It douses the fire in that message with dogma. And so, the mendicant Jewish rabbi became an icon for abuse, war, persecution, and enslavement. So, perhaps you can be a good Jew, Moslem, Buddhist, and so on, and follow his basic message, but I am not certain the true-believer Christian can.
What do you think the true-believer Christian is Spade? Like you I believe in peace, charity, forgiveness, brotherhood. I'm a major believer in those things. So is my husband and our sons and their families. We are all christians. We all believe in God/Jesus Christ. You have seen me quote more than once that Jesus is "the word" (God) made flesh. You also know that while I am a christian, I also believe that all people who believe in God believe in the same God no matter what we choose to call Him. We have also all talked about organized religion. There is a problem with organized religion. It has a wide open door for people to abuse the church - any church. People perform so many horrendous deeds in the name of religion so it gives churches a bad name. That's a shame. Once a safe haven and now a good chance of a place to begin a holy war (Jihad) depending on where you live and who is in control of the church (synagogue, temple etc.)

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
We have also all talked about organized religion. There is a problem with organized religion. It has a wide open door for people to abuse the church - any church. People perform so many horrendous deeds in the name of religion so it gives churches a bad name. That's a shame. Once a safe haven and now a good chance of a place to begin a holy war (Jihad) depending on where you live and who is in control of the church (synagogue, temple etc.)

WOW can I relate to that.. I teach my children to love God but I stay away from religion and church for a reason..

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It is not just religion that turns some people away. Most atheists i know, know more about the bible than most Christians, JWs, Jews or Mormons. Like me, many have looked into the history of the who, where, whens and whys it was put together and who altered translations to suit their political agendas. So, once you know the truth about the bible, it is impossible to find a whole lot of reason to believe in. Sure, there are some good messages, but you can find those messages in Aesop's Fables or the writings of Tom Robbins, to name just two. Hell, Lord of the Rings is like a religion to many.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
From the link...

"There are only four options for the identity of Jesus Christ. He was a legend, a liar, a lunatic—or Lord and God."

I disagree with the basic premise so the arguments that follow are flawed.

Hi Goober,
Yes, I believe in the basic philosophy: peace, charity, forgiveness, brotherhood. But, you know that most Christians do not.

Since you do not know most Christians, your arguments are also flawed.

People can and do argue against any basic philosophy if they are are not willing to open themselves up to any and all possibilities.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
He seems like he was a good person, I probably would have liked him very much, he
was peaceful, ,kind and intelligent. Just don't believe in any teachings that refer to a heaven, because I don't believe in heaven.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
He seems like he was a good person, I probably would have liked him very much, he
was peaceful, ,kind and intelligent. Just don't believe in any teachings that refer to a heaven, because I don't believe in heaven.

You mean you don't believe in the "biblical" view of heaven (a nice place you go when you die)?? Perhaps Jesus was talking about heaven as a state of mind and not a place.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Is not the kingdom of god and heaven the same thing? And is not the kingdom of god within? It is not a place (according to Jesus) but a state of being.... that is if you believe that stuff.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There are parts I agree with, like the ones you posted. But, I don't agree with him when he says the only way to heaven is through him.

And that is fine – it is the philosophy that I am bringing forward for discussion – Not that a particular religion is right or wrong-

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Cannuck
From the link...

"There are only four options for the identity of Jesus Christ. He was a legend, a liar, a lunatic—or Lord and God."

I disagree with the basic premise so the arguments that follow are flawed.

Quoting Spade
Hi Goober,
Yes, I believe in the basic philosophy: peace, charity, forgiveness, brotherhood. But, you know that most Christians do not.

Since you do not know most Christians, your arguments are also flawed.

I would have to agree with Spade – Many people who profess to be Christian are some of the worst people I have ever met – Similar to building a structure – a persons character when missing or ignoring the basics of forgiveness, charity, kindness to others are not Christian – Just wannabe – or as my parents would say to me when I was younger “ Nothing but Sunday Morning Christians”

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
But if Jesus is 'the Word', then when he says 'I am the way', this 'I' does not refer to the messenger, Jesus, but to the original speaker, God. So it could then translate as 'God is the way'. That's my take on it.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
You mean you don't believe in the "biblical" view of heaven (a nice place you go when you die)?? Perhaps Jesus was talking about heaven as a state of mind and not a place.
Totally different concept, and yes, I could connect with that thought.
I've allready experienced many 'heavens' on earth during my lifetime, and
it is a state of mind. Living on vancouver island is 'heaven' on earth.;-)