People you know of who die

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I was just on a newspaper website reading a story when, for reasons unknown to me, I clicked open the obituary link.

I see two names that I knew from childhood. One was a father to a school kid who lived on the same street as me. He was an ambulance driver for the local hospital. Occasionally he would regale us with the odd gruesome story like the time he went to a scene where someone had rear ended a tractor trailer and got decapitated. Apparently that situation has since been rectified since those long ago days with trailers requiring bumpers that prevent cars from sliding underneath the rear.

I lost touch with them when his son, who was my first garage band's drummer, passed away after we had finished high school.

The other one is the husband of my first "becoming aware of girls" girlfriend. We hung out in grade 8-9 and for whatever reason stopped doing so at some point. I knew her husband from school whom she married when she was around 30, but I never particularly liked him, and neither did our 'group'. He was brash and annoying and we pondered what was it she saw in him.

It's inevitable for all of us........

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It is the ones that die way too early that are the ones that need to be looked at very closely. It seems that Canada has a section of society that are made up of disposable people. Why does nobody mourn for them??

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
It is the ones that die way too early that are the ones that need to be looked at very closely. It seems that Canada has a section of society that are made up of disposable people. Why does nobody mourn for them??
My story was a personal philosophical one about people you knew of from many decades ago.........

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That and not being hunted down for killing. Having long lived ancestors doesn't help in that situation.

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
I have recently found Facebook to be the worst way to hear about these people from our youth... our earliest friendships... with such untimely deaths.
Today, I was looking at Facebook messenger... and a girl, who passed away in her early 20s of a brain tumor I knew from university, showed up in the top of my messages list even though she passed several years ago.
And in January, i had a reminder to wish a best friend from high school who I shared a birthday with happy birthday...obviously... but he committed suicide three years ago... so it only made me sad.

Yes, as we get older... we will know more people also getting old who die, but it's these passings of people that had so much more life to live that weighs heavily.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have recently found Facebook to be the worst way to hear about these people from our youth... our earliest friendships... with such untimely deaths.
Today, I was looking at Facebook messenger... and a girl, who passed away in her early 20s of a brain tumor I knew from university, showed up in the top of my messages list even though she passed several years ago.

A few months ago I heard of a big car accident near my hometown. 4 dead. One of the names sounded very familiar so I put it into Facebook to see if id recognize her. I did. She actually was my first crush when I was maybe 8 years old. She was the same age as me. I hadnt seen or spoken to her in at least 15 years, probably closer to 20. She died with two of her kids in the accident and another one she was pregnant with. That was quite sad.

And in January, i had a reminder to wish a best friend from high school who I shared a birthday with happy birthday...obviously... but he committed suicide three years ago... so it only made me sad.

My step sister died the same way in 2013. Ive had some other people I knew die over the years. I usually delete them from Facebook after a month or two. I didnt see much point in keeping those profiles around when they would never be active again and I already have the memories.