Former employee suing Costco for religious discrimination

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A man is suing Costco for religious discrimination.

He tells Eyewitness News exclusively that when he refused to work with pork, the major retailer sent him outside to gather carts.

"Just because you have a different belief, that doesn't give anybody the right to treat you different," said Jean Camara, suing Costco.

That's why Jean Camara says he's doing what he's doing, suing Costco for religious employment discrimination.

The devout Muslim says he was working as a cashier's assistant at the Costco in Sunset Park Brooklyn in September of 2012 when pork came across the conveyor belt.

It's against his religious beliefs to touch either pork or alcohol.

Camara says after telling his managers this, they transferred him outside collecting the shopping carts.

Camara says they never told him why he was reassigned.

"I think that as the case progresses in the trial we are in now, I think the facts are going to come out and they're going to speak for themselves," said Chauncey Henry, Camara's attorney.

Camara says he asked his managers if he could work in the electronics department, but his requests were repeatedly denied.

He ended up filing a human rights complaint against the company.

"We all share different beliefs so we all should be treated equally no matter what belief we have," Camara said.

"It's not OK to discriminate against someone for their religion. It isn't OK. It isn't OK to treat them differently others because of what they believe in. I think that everyone is entitled to the same treatment. I think that's what this case is about," Henry said.

Former employee suing Costco for religious discrimination, happened at Sunset Park location | 7online.com

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
How is it discrimination that he was re-assigned to collect carts? He said he would not touch pork. Part of being a cashier is touching pork.

I guess frivilous lawsuits are not against Islam. If he wins and they pay him the cash, I would make sure each bill is soaked in bacon fat.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How is it discrimination that he was re-assigned to collect carts? He said he would not touch pork. Part of being a cashier is touching pork.

I guess frivilous lawsuits are not against Islam. If he wins and they pay him the cash, I would make sure each bill is soaked in bacon fat.

I would so appoint you to be the judge in that case, lol.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
They gave him a job compatible with his beliefs. I dont see the problem here.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
When I first started to work, The mill would shut down on Sundays, stores would be closed on Sunday........when all that changed....Christians didn't sue their employer.....they adapted to the laws of the land.....
I would strongly suggest that Muslims quit crying and do the same.....

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
When I first started to work, The mill would shut down on Sundays, stores would be closed on Sunday........when all that changed....Christians didn't sue their employer.....they adapted to the laws of the land.....
I would strongly suggest that Muslims quit crying and do the same.....

They won't because it's against their religious beliefs. Muhammad is about enslavement of the land. Anything else other then that is against his teachings.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

This nutbar isn't touching pork (or alochol)... They are handing packaging that contains this highly offensive material.

What's next on the agenda here?... Walking within 50 feet of pork or booze will constitute a grievous act of defying Islam?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
He might win in many states, thanks to the "conscience laws" passed by bible-bashing legislators to allow bible bashers to refuse to sell "morning after" pills and birth-control pills in pharmacies in which they worked.

The Law of Unintended Consequences can be pretty damn funny sometimes.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
One of the things about being an employee is that you do not get to pick and chose which parts of your job description you do and don't do. Nor do employees get to chose which positions they do when moving up the employment ladder.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
One of the things about being an employee is that you do not get to pick and chose which parts of your job description you do and don't do. Nor do employees get to chose which positions they do when moving up the employment ladder.
You do if you're in a state with "conscience laws."

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
They gave him a different job they didn't fire him and maybe they should have
For one i am getting tired of people saying this is against my religion so some
other person has to pick up their slack. We live in a secular society and jobs
are what they are Employers need to be given more choice here why should
they have to hire people who won't do the job they are assigned? Enough of
this crap

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
He might win in many states, thanks to the "conscience laws" passed by bible-bashing legislators to allow bible bashers to refuse to sell "morning after" pills and birth-control pills in pharmacies in which they worked.

The Law of Unintended Consequences can be pretty damn funny sometimes.
Were they just employees or was it the pharmacy that refused to carry the product?
There is a difference .