Church of England circling the drain

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
So says Zip:

UK: Church Of England School Drops Christian Hymns From Assemblies, Introduces Gender-Separated Prayer Rooms To Cater To Its Muslim Students…

Via Daily Mail:
Hymns have been dropped from assemblies at a Church of England school which has also introduced separate prayer rooms for girls and boys to cater to its mostly Muslim students.

Daily assemblies at Slough and Eton Church of England Business and Enterprise College, where 75 per cent of pupils are Muslim, are not based specifically on the Bible, but may make reference to it alongside other religious texts.

All of the the meat served at the secondary school, which has over 1,000 pupils aged between 11 and 19, is halal.

Headmaster Paul McAteer said the approach was to be ‘sensitive to the fact that we do have many different faiths in the school’, but added that Christian values were ‘more prevalent here than I have experienced in non-Church of England schools’.

Mr McAteer, who pointed out that the Church of England describes itself as ‘a faith for all faiths’, told the Sunday Times: ‘The values we support are very much Christian values of honesty, integrity, justice.’

The headmaster explained that the gender-separated prayer rooms at Slough and Eton, which is a voluntary controlled Church of England school, were not specifically for Muslim pupils, but said that it tended to be Muslim children that use them.

Keep reading…

UK: Church Of England School Drops Christian Hymns From Assemblies, Introduces Gender-Separated Prayer Rooms To Cater To Its Muslim Students… | Weasel Zippers

Anglican school where 75% of the pupils are Muslim drops Christian hymns from assemblies | Mail Online

from the comments:

Why do Muslim parent's approach this school in the first place Knowing it is a religious faith of England?

Why indeed.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think it would be incumbent upon the Church of England to continue to do their own thing
if the Muslim population want a school then the people should establish their own. I get a
little ticked when we as a western society go beyond the be nice to people policy. We in the
west have our traditions and religious beliefs which are just as valid or invalid as other societies.
I am not devout anything but this is becoming devoid of logic to take this avenue.
If I were the church of England I would say if you want an education that is fine but we own the
place and here are the rules done

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think it would be incumbent upon the Church of England to continue to do their own thing
if the Muslim population want a school then the people should establish their own. I get a
little ticked when we as a western society go beyond the be nice to people policy. We in the
west have our traditions and religious beliefs which are just as valid or invalid as other societies.
I am not devout anything but this is becoming devoid of logic to take this avenue.
If I were the church of England I would say if you want an education that is fine but we own the
place and here are the rules done

Remember though that the Uk also funds Anglican schools. Muslims are taxpayers too ya know. So, when are the publicly-funded Muslim schools coming?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No.....

Should I be forced to praise God?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being atheist means you don't believe in God, right? So, what exactly are you being forced to praise?

I don't see the value in scrubbing historical references to God to appease people who claim they don't believe, don't care. Now, current, evolving policy, I can see taking the secularist fight to that, but not history that has zero effect on your rights and liberties under the government

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's the nations anthem.

Why do I have to praise a God to do so?

If we are free of religion and to practice religion why does the anthem have the word God in it?

History. The country you love, the people in it, its rich history, had God in the mix. Don't like it, don't sing it. Or sing 'we keep our land'. Be a rebel.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
...and yet I as an atheist am forced to say God everytime I sing the national anthem.

It's the nations anthem.

Why do I have to praise a God to do so?

If we are free of religion and to practice religion why does the anthem have the word God in it?

First, no one is forcing you to sing the National Anthem. Second, no one is forcing to sing the parts that mention God. Third, The anthem has the word "God" in it because that is how the author felt and how he wrote the song. Obviously, when it was adopted, the Country felt the same way. You could always propose something different. That's the nice thing about freedom and democracy, we all have the right to object and we all have the right to propose doing something a different way. So instead of whining about it, do something about it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do we have religious freedom in Canada?

Ah, so, simply using a different lyric isn't good enough, because you want to make sure no OTHER people say god either, amirite?

And yes, we have religious freedom. Your version of being 'forced' is not a reflection of reality.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

Do we not have equality of the sexes here. Why an I forced to be a sexist?