Are Mormons Christians?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Are Mormons Christians?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/10/professions-faith

Mitt Romney is a Mormon and he is running for the Republican Party’s choice for president of USA.

There was a statement made by other Republicans that Mormons are not Christians they are more of an occult.

Are Mormons Christians or not?

What do you think?

I'm indifferent. Mormonism is no more crazy than Christianity when you look at the details of what they believe.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm indifferent. Mormonism is no more crazy than Christianity when you look at the details of what they believe.
Actually, I can understand how the populace could be swayed with the mythology in the Bible, in the era it was first presented to said populace.

If one were to examine the birth of the Mormon Church, the era it was created in, you would think that the people would have been smarter, and less likely to be swayed with such obviously dubious nuttery.

And lets not even get started on the moronic CoS and the nutters that fell for that.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Actually, I can understand how the populace could be swayed with the mythology in the Bible, in the era it was first presented to said populace.

If one were to examine the birth of the Mormon Church, the era it was created in, you would think that the people would have been smarter, and less likely to be swayed with such obviously dubious nuttery.

And lets not even get started on the moronic CoS and the nutters that fell for that.

Sure, for 2000 years ago I can also understand that. But people are still buying it today. Not nearly as many but some do. As for when Joseph Smith was doing his thing, well it was still the wild west of the 19th century. His followers weren't exactly well educated or anything. There are always people willing to believe something crazy in any time period regardless of evidence.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

You would think so, but then in walks L.Ron Hubbard in what, 50s or 60s?

To say nothing of the David Koresh's and Jim Jones' of the world too.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sure, for 2000 years ago I can also understand that. But people are still buying it today. Not nearly as many but some do.
Once ingrained, it's hard to shake. New converts puzzle me, but something can be said for desperation. Indoctrination of children, what child would think mom and dad would lead them astray?
As for when Joseph Smith was doing his thing, well it was still the wild west of the 19th century. His followers weren't exactly well educated or anything.
Paper education is one thing, but these people were ground breakers. Survivors that lived by their wits. How they got scammed, I'll never figure out.

There are always people willing to believe something crazy in any time period regardless of evidence.
I concede.

You would think so, but then in walks L.Ron Hubbard in what, 50s or 60s?
Who said straight out "I'm going to create a religion".

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Sure, for 2000 years ago I can also understand that. But people are still buying it today. Not nearly as many but some do. As for when Joseph Smith was doing his thing, well it was still the wild west of the 19th century. His followers weren't exactly well educated or anything. There are always people willing to believe something crazy in any time period regardless of evidence.

Believing in something bigger than yourself is one thing, but accepting this man made structure of a belief system verbatim and then denying it is a man made belief system is the part I can't wrap my head around.

Who said straight out "I'm going to create a religion".

That should have been the first clue.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Once ingrained, it's hard to shake. New converts puzzle me, but something can be said for desperation. Indoctrination of children, what child would think mom and dad would lead them astray?

*raises hand*

Raised by die-hard Catholics. Called BS on it when I started reading the Bible alone. I was about 10 when I started having doubts then became an all out non-believer by 12. Didn't sit to well with the folks, but I don't care. They can have their fairy tales.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Believing in something bigger than yourself is one thing, but accepting this man made structure of a belief system verbatim and then denying it is a man made belief system is the part I can't wrap my head around.
I'm still waiting for someone to show me where it says the Pope is Gods front man on earth.

That should have been the first clue.
Some people don't recognize clues. These pages are filled with them.

*raises hand*

Raised by die-hard Catholics. Called BS on it when I started reading the Bible alone. I was about 10 when I started having doubts then became an all out non-believer by 12. Didn't sit to well with the folks, but I don't care. They can have their fairy tales.
I was raised Catholic as well. I think it was the abuse, while being told about Jesus' mercy, that confused me, and made me seek my own path.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm still waiting for someone to show me where it says the Pope is Gods front man on earth.
Good luck with that one.

I was raised Catholic as well. I think it was the abuse, while being told about Jesus' mercy, that confused me, and made me seek my own path.

My mother was raised Catholic, but I was not. The only "formal" instruction I ever received as a child was briefly in Sunday school, some non-Catholic Christian church but I cannot remember which one. So my impression of Jesus, to this day, is of someone who surrounded himself with all those who were 'cast out' by society at large. The poor, the homeless, the diseased and disabled. Which is why I cannot reconcile any kind of hatred or rejection of anyone who is different then themselves with anyone calling themselves a Christian.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
My mother was raised Catholic, but I was not. The only "formal" instruction I ever received as a child was briefly in Sunday school, some non-Catholic Christian church but I cannot remember which one. So my impression of Jesus, to this day, is of someone who surrounded himself with all those who were 'cast out' by society at large. The poor, the homeless, the diseased and disabled. Which is why I cannot reconcile any kind of hatred or rejection of anyone who is different then themselves with anyone calling themselves a Christian.
That's the part I kept with me too.