COVID-19 'Pandemic'

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
Largest outbreak of COVID-19 in an Indigenous community in Canada offers important lessons

In the wake of a large outbreak of COVID-19 in northwestern Saskatchewan — the most serious of any Indigenous community in Canada — health officials and local leaders are relying on what they learned during the three-month ordeal to plan for potential outbreaks in other remote, rural areas.

"When it first hit us, we were basically clueless of how to contain this," said Chief Teddy Clark of the Clearwater River Dene Nation (CRDN), 600 kilometres northwest of Saskatoon.

But now, given what he's learned, Clark said he feels "a little bit at ease" that he'd be ready for a surge in cases.

Despite dire predictions early in the pandemic, the on-reserve infection rate among First Nations people in Canada is four times lower than the rest of the population, according to the federal government, with a total of 639 confirmed cases as of Sept. 25. The on-reserve First Nations population in Canada is about 329,000, as of the 2016 census.

In mid-April, the first case of COVID-19 in northwestern Saskatchewan was traced to travel from an oilsands camp near Fort McMurray, Alta. The virus spread to a long-term care home in the village of La Loche and then moved quickly through overcrowded homes in the community and its neighbour, the Clearwater River Dene Nation.

The two Dene communities have a combined population of 3,800, and people frequently move back and forth between the village and reserve.

From the beginning of the outbreak, Indigenous leaders warned public health officials that any response needed to be led by the community and elders, with their culture in mind. They also warned that people in their communities were particularly vulnerable.

"Our people suffer from extremely high rates of co-morbid conditions, with issues like diabetes, respiratory, HIV, heart conditions and trauma-induced addictions, that put them at high risk of death from COVID-19," Rick Laliberte, the commander of the North West Communities Incident Command Centre, said in a letter to Saskatchewan's chief medical health officer.

Over the next three months, 282 people in the village and First Nation would test positive for the disease — about seven per cent of the population — and five people died.

Still, many applaud the efforts that eventually contained the outbreak and say there are lessons to be learned.....More

Sask. handled the Hutterite outbreaks pretty much the same way, and that's how you manage COVID hotspots

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
That's the problem with you. You refuse to own your mistakes. It's always someone else who is f-cking things up, never you.

Thankfully that statement is only your opinion and not exactly true.

I admit when I make mistakes, a lot actually.

But you missed the point of the entire thread of the convo, which is stupid people who think stupid things about Covid are the ones to continue it's spread and it affects people who are vulnerable even when you don't obviously realize it. That and that I am pissed that this stupid idiot of a woman was even at this event.

It's not that the event shouldn't have happened, but that she and her S/O shouldn't have been there.

I didn't think though that anyone had to be led by the hand like a fukin' moron to get that though. Evidently that was my only mistake about this. Or maybe the mistake was not explaining that in NB, such gatherings are allowed so long as people followed precautions, but that there are always the stupid dipshits who doesn't GAF about the precautions or the rules, like her, like some people here...

Sorry that my last mistake was thinking that there wouldn't be disgusting reactions like yours and pgs to something that was completely serious. I totally forgot that there are some here that have no sense of human compassion or empathy, and you two are a couple of them.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

But you missed the point of the entire thread of the convo, which is stupid people who think stupid things about Covid are the ones to continue it's spread and it affects people who are vulnerable even when you don't obviously realize it. That and that I am pissed that this stupid idiot of a woman was even at this event.

It's not that the event shouldn't have happened, but that she and her S/O shouldn't have been there.

I didn't think though that anyone had to be led by the hand like a fukin' moron to get that though. Evidently that was my only mistake about this. Or maybe the mistake was not explaining that in NB, such gatherings are allowed so long as people followed precautions, but that there are always the stupid dipshits who doesn't GAF about the precautions or the rules, like her, like some people here...

Sorry that my last mistake was thinking that there wouldn't be disgusting reactions like yours and pgs to something that was completely serious. I totally forgot that there are some here that have no sense of human compassion or empathy, and you two are a couple of them.

You can add Blackie to the list!

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017

For some reason they have never gotten past the whole internet flaming thing.

It's endlessly entertaining to them.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Being realistic is not a lack of empathy.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Who invited them to this gathering? You said it was supposed to be close family. Someone must have widened the invitation list? You should add them to your shit list as well. They increased the size of the gathering which increases covid risk.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Who invited them to this gathering? You said it was supposed to be close family. Someone must have widened the invitation list? You should add them to your shit list as well. They increased the size of the gathering which increases covid risk.

Since they were family of my uncle's girlfriend - as in daughter - then likely her mother. Or she just assumed she could go because of the relationship.

Regardless...

And yes, they're on a shit list. More people showed than was supposed to be there and my mom, my uncle and my cousin were pissed.

Who showed wasn't exactly the point.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Since they were family of my uncle's girlfriend - as in daughter - then likely her mother. Or she just assumed she could go because of the relationship.

Regardless...

And yes, they're on a shit list. More people showed than was supposed to be there and my mom, my uncle and my cousin were pissed.

They could have just as easily been asymptomatic. Sizes of gatherings are causing issues all over. Ontario for one.

All you can do now is have your mother and uncle tested and hope for the best. You should probably be tested too in case you caught it but they didn't. You wouldn't want to spread it to her if you were that unlucky.

ETA: I totally see why you went there. My wife visited a friend who has been diagnosed with possible terminal cancer. As she was also fighting cancer they decided they wanted to have possibly one last visit just in case. Some times you have to do stuff you otherwise wouldn't. But there can be repercussions and now you need to handle them.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
They could have just as easily been asymptomatic. Sizes of gatherings are causing issues all over. Ontario for one.

All you can do now is have your mother and uncle tested and hope for the best. You should probably be tested too in case you caught it but they didn't. You wouldn't want to spread it to her if you were that unlucky.

ETA: I totally see why you went there. My wife visited a friend who has been diagnosed with possible terminal cancer. As she was also fighting cancer they decided they wanted to have possibly one last visit just in case. Some times you have to do stuff you otherwise wouldn't. But there can be repercussions and now you need to handle them.

Being in NB Covid hasn't been - somehow, so far - that bad for us comparatively. It's why gatherings of family and people are allowed. Pretty much people are acting 'normal' here, though there's still the message of if you have X symptoms, avoid gatherings, etc.

And with the flu/second wave coming, things have been updated in the hospital regions now too to reflect that.

I believe mom is tested or at least questioned as a matter of her chemo. I wasn't personally at the gathering - I work nights and weekends so I rarely go to things like that - but mom is insisting on the people who were sick get tested.

For my uncle, it doesn't matter. He's dying. Catching Covid won't do anything more to him.

It's just super frustrating for me to see so many people think Covid isn't an issue now because either they A) didn't get it, B) NB did so well with it or C) they just don't give a shit. And this BS of the "Atlantic Bubble" doesn't help.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Regardless...

It's crass ignorance to attend an event that you are not specifically invited to no matter WTF you are!