Gerald Stanley Not Guilty

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ok, so how about we add another law barring Induns from filing lawsuits?

By the way, what did you think when O.J. Simpson was acquitted and then Nicole Brown Simpson's family sued him?

Just to test you "this isn't about invaders and Induns" theory.

Hey, there is good news. Apparently the law is moving in the direction you want. Peter Khill, seeing that Jon Styres was messing with his truck, armed himself and left the safety of his house to confront Styres, then killed him. Styres was unarmed. Mr. Khill got the same verdict Mr. Stanley got.

Maybe you could pass a version of Floriduh's "stand your ground" law, but that's pretty imperfect. In order to get the effect you're looking for, you'd need something like what I proposed. Shouldn't be that tough to pass in Saskatchewan.

I'm just trying to help you here. You specified that you want white people who kill Induns to be able to go on their way with a minimum of time and expense. I'm suggesting ways to achieve that without all those expensive, wasteful, time-consuming things like investigations and trials.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

By the way, what did you think when O.J. Simpson was acquitted and then Nicole Brown Simpson's family sued him?

You seem to have a hard time getting it through your head that this case isn't about Indians! It's about a couple of law abiding citizens minding their own business, mending a fence vs. a vehicle full of drunken hooligans invading the property in a threatening manner, committing theft and assault. Can I make it any simpler?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Hey, there is good news. Apparently the law is moving in the direction you want. Peter Khill, seeing that Jon Styres was messing with his truck, armed himself and left the safety of his house to confront Styres, then killed him. Styres was unarmed. Mr. Khill got the same verdict Mr. Stanley got.

Maybe you could pass a version of Floriduh's "stand your ground" law, but that's pretty imperfect. In order to get the effect you're looking for, you'd need something like what I proposed. Shouldn't be that tough to pass in Saskatchewan.

I'm just trying to help you here. You specified that you want white people who kill Induns to be able to go on their way with a minimum of time and expense. I'm suggesting ways to achieve that without all those expensive, wasteful, time-consuming things like investigations and trials.

NO. What we want is criminals to stand trial for their crimes. We do not want hard working law abiding citizens needlessly put in a media court at their own expense for protecting their property.
Race has nothing to do with it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Pizza pizza

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
NO. What we want is criminals to stand trial for their crimes. We do not want hard working law abiding citizens needlessly put in a media court at their own expense for protecting their property.
Race has nothing to do with it.

Well, sounds like Floriduh's stand your ground law is exactly what you want. Or maybe a stronger version of it that compels the Crown prosecutor to accept whatever the accused says. See, the problem with Floriduh's law is the prosecutor can still put you on trial, or can just let you go.

So when a black woman who is being beaten up in her house by her ex-boyfriend who has a stay-away order against him, and grabs a gun and fires a shot into the wall to convince him she'll shoot him if he doesn't leave, the prosecutor can still send her to prison. Because in Floriduh race has nothing to do with it either. Just ask 'em, they'll tell you.

I find it interesting that you consider the court system in Canada to be "media courts." Isn't it a shame that Justin Bourque was railroaded by a "media court?"

You seem to have a hard time getting it through your head that this case isn't about Indians! It's about a couple of law abiding citizens minding their own business, mending a fence vs. a vehicle full of drunken hooligans invading the property in a threatening manner, committing theft and assault. Can I make it any simpler?

I thought it was about a man who shot and killed another. . . well, let's just say an Indun.

I'd discuss it with you, but you haven't understood anything I've said so far, so there's little likelihood you can follow my argument.

Quashed. Thank you. I'm not an internet lawyer and wasn't familiar with the term.

You have made it abundantly clear that you're no kind of lawyer at all.

So I encourage you to push for your province to pass a "he came at me" law, stating that the word of someone who has just killed someone else that "he came at me" must be accepted as true.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'd discuss it with you, but you haven't understood anything I've said so far, so there's little likelihood you can follow my argument.

You keep telling yourself that and pretty soon you'll believe it. Let's just say for sake of argument a trial was necessary. The decent outcome would be for the accused to be reimbursed for all expenses including loss of income and inconvenience upon acquittal.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Colten Boushie film to open Toronto's Hot Docs festival
Canadian Press
Published:
March 19, 2019
Updated:
March 19, 2019 2:22 PM EDT
A film examining the case of a young Indigenous man who was killed on a farm in rural Saskatchewan will open this year’s Hot Docs festival in Toronto.
Organizers say Tasha Hubbard’s “nipawistamasowin: We Will Stand Up” will make its world premiere at the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival, which runs April 25 to May 5.
A news release says the documentary “looks at inequity and racism in the Canadian legal system” after the case of Colten Boushie.
The 22-year-old member of the Red Pheasant First Nation died from a gunshot to the back of his head after entering a rural farm property with his friends near Biggar, Sask., in August 2016.
Last year a jury acquitted farmer Gerald Stanley of second-degree murder after he testified his gun went off accidentally when he was trying to scare off young people who drove onto his property.
Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet,
but your article continues below.
The verdict gained international attention and sparked rallies across the country.
Hubbard’s film “weaves a profound narrative encompassing the filmmaker’s own adoption, the stark history of colonialism on the Prairies, and a transformative vision of a future where Indigenous children can live safely on their homelands,” the National Film Board of Canada, which co-produced the doc, said in a statement.
The NFB said it’s the first film by an Indigenous filmmaker to open Hot Docs, which revealed its full lineup on Tuesday. In Cree, “nipawistamasowin” translates to “we (small group) will stand up for others (big group),” a spokeswoman said.
Other Canadian films making their world premiere at this year’s festival include Phillip Pike’s “Our Dance of Revolution,” about Toronto’s black LGBTQ community.
“Prey” by Matt Gallagher is about a sexual-abuse survivor pursuing justice in a case against the Catholic church in Toronto.
Also having its world premiere is “Propaganda: The Art of Selling Lies” by Oscar-nominated Toronto filmmaker Larry Weinstein, which looks at the history of the art of persuasion.
The festival’s Focus On program will feature Canadian filmmaker Julia Ivanova and her retrospective titles as well as the world premiere of her new film “My Dads, My Moms and Me.”
A total of 234 films and 18 interdisciplinary projects are in the festival.
Previously announced docs in the lineup include “Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind.” The Canadian singer-songwriter will also attend the festival.
Other guests set to attend include artist, activist and director Ai Weiwei (“The Rest”); biochemist Jennifer Doudna (“Human Nature”); New Brunswick-born Willie O’Ree, who was the first black player to skate in the NHL (“Willie”); and whistleblower Deane Berg along with Dr. Daniel Cramer and Dr. Ami Zota (“Toxic Beauty”).
The festival will also have virtual reality and interactive experiences, including the live performance of “Supreme Law,” a satirical re-telling of the origins of Canada’s Constitution with comedian Jus Reign.
Organizers say the films hail from 56 countries, with 54 per cent of the directors being women. That’s up from last year, when 50 per cent of the films were made by female directors.
“Like the lantern shown on the festival artwork this year, the filmmakers featured at Hot Docs light the way in showing us outstanding stories and outspoken subjects of immense power, relevance and importance,” Shane Smith, director of programming for Hot Docs, said in a statement.
“The work of documentary filmmakers in their unrelenting pursuit of the truth is as necessary as ever, and we’re honoured to be sharing their vital, vibrant and creative films with Toronto audiences.”
http://torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/colten-boushie-film-to-open-torontos-hot-docs-festival

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The ignorance and arrogance of the forum moron knows no bounds.

White_Unifier

Senate Member
Feb 21, 2017
It's difficult to blame the farmer. Even if he had access to a taser, it could have been out of reach at the time, or uncharged, or he thought the others had firearms. Of course, that's if tasers were not prohibited weapons.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If the film is FN endorsed you know that it was innocent kids looking for help narrative being promoted
It will be interesting to see just how much time is spent on the Boushie issue and how much is spent telling her own personal story. Great way to get some attention by using the kid's death as a vehicle for your own interests.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It will be interesting to see just how much time is spent on the Boushie issue and how much is spent telling her own personal story. Great way to get some attention by using the kid's death as a vehicle for your own interests.
The "Friends of Stanley" are free to make their own version.