Planet Earth: A Question Of Expansion

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
"Class, . . . class, . . . . . . CLASS!' School's is session.
See all the pretty picture on the not a blackboard?? Good, don't even look at the last one yet as it is for the next class, the 'older kids' if you will.
You alluded to me being a child so I'll take this opportunity to teach a child who is not all that fast on picking up the big picture. You support of the theory that the liquid in question gets thicker as you go deeper and stops from becoming a complete solid as it would never move after that.
My reference to a child is because they know nothing so presenting something 'new' if it is in pictures and words the lesson will be over sooner rather than later. Your ego and extra sensitivity does not make the lesson easier, there is the dig that has to be there.

The quick way to dispute that is to say the distance between the atmosphere and the outside of the core has several layers that do not exchange material. There are a few density graphs around so it depends which ones you use. The ones I am using are useful as is even if the numbers and distances might be off some. What all of them show is a gradual transition is gone and a jump takes place, just like when oil and water occupy the same area, they sort according to density as do all liquids. Oil and water can transfer heat without any mixing and in a large enough volume the flow is smooth and both liquids are thinner the hotter they get, the hotter they get at a certain pressure the closer they are to the boiling point.

The less pressure and the same temp as a liquid the closer they are to the boiling point. Staying with that pattern is suggesting pressure can turn a liquid into a solid again. The red lava is about 800deg and it is brittle rock at 600deg. At 1200deg it is yellow and a thin liquid. When cooled it is 2.2. on the density scale, 5km down it is hotter and also thinner than the lave at 1200deg that is coming out in fissures that reach 200 ft high. It Hawaii it has also flowed along the bottom of the crust (2.9 density) and the magma that rises under the ring of fire rifts is at 4.4 density when it begins to flow away from the rift. It loses heat all the way along that to be at the 1200deg at the base of the volcano. Between the bottom of the crust (2.9) and the top of the mantle (4.4) is the the molten material that is between those two numbers.

50km is 900C (1600F) Bottom of the crust and top of the mantle, slight difference in density but viscosity is similar.
2,700km is 3,700C = about 1C rise per 1km depth increase Density goes from 4.4- 5.7 so that is about 1 per 1,000km The more detailed graphs have several layer in that 2700km so that mean material transfers stop and only the heat is transferred.

You also cannot have a hot-spot like Hawaii happen as that would be a rising plume in an are that is the middle where all the outflows from the ring of fire meet.

The next part, if there is one, brings in the boiling point of the rocks and that is where the pressure chart comes into play.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Poor bastard. Unable to learn.
Another confession of yours? It always has to be about you.

What's that noise? Part 2 flying out the window.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Chemistry in your life is probably responsible for you being as dense as your are, in the mantle not so much.
Did you miss the part where I told you to fuk off as I don't invite trolls past a certain point. In time you will understand what that means.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Telling me to fuk off won't stop me from trying to educate you.

If Helen Keller can learn so can you.

Bowen and Moh

You should look them up and learn something.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why would I suggest anything to a troll? All my post said was that you are always a troll so I might as well treat you like one.

You ever come up with a new plate theory since that map of the sea-floor age came out about 60 years ago?? That is the first question posed to you and Dic. That is when you both went into fuktard mode, back into. Too bad you cling to the Jews as a form of protection. Their hands aren't even as clean as at a troll, bad move on your side.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What map are you babbling about? Your new theory? Now it's the Jews fault? Does California have quakes because of Catholics?
It's St Andrew's Fault?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

The red text moves 10C/square all along the scale, that is the correct way to do it. The black text uses equal spacing for units that go up by the power of 10 and the lowest space is much wider than the top ones yet the curve it is affecting is smooth. The other red letters do the same.

Ice is water that is compressed and below a certain temp. Gas is water that is heated to a point we cannot see all the small drops or water that are being pushed around by air currents and the general trend is to move warm material to a cooler location and when it is cool it tends to want to move towards warmer things.

Water boils at 100C at, to make it boil in the real world it would have to be someplace where it is 100C and Sea Level. A black surface on something in Death Valley might make it boil, lower than that yet above 0C water is 'boiling' at a slower rate than we can observe in real time, 24 hours would have the volume loss is enough that we could we could see the change. If you cannot compress a liquid without lowering the temp and a solid is already at it's compressed size making it colder will not reduce it's size.

The earth's temp goes from -300C - 6,000C. Water that evaporates at a certain temp and that makes it also rise higher and as yo do that on rather it gets colder. Water vapor is never a gas when the vapor is higher than the white clouds we can see. That is a certain AP and a certain temp. The material we can see is evaporated water (too small to see one) that has cooled and become a liquid again and also got colder die to the air temp so it froze. That ice cannot be compressed and if the solar winds came down that low the should be able to take it with it and at some point it will fall as rain on another planet or miss the planets and end up in the sun as hydrogen (lower as smaller molecules can fit more into the same space) and oxygen (which is probably consumed where the temp is 1M degs.)
Even when vapor is being compressed the liquid stays the same and it is the empty space between that droplets that is 'made less' even while causing heat to increase. Ice has a temp that it becomes a liquid, that has a certain density and it means it floats on some things and some things will floats on it. The materials never switch sides once a relationship has been established.

If crustal rock goes from 2.2 - 2.9 then 2.5 could be used for the continental shelves. Above that when the mass is moved it cracks, water can seep into all of them if they are connected, at that density the material is still one piece and it breaks into slabs that move as a single piece while the brittle part would have many small breaks. The Canadian Shield is crack-proof as are a few other areas on the planet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_shelf

The depth of the shelf also varies, but is generally limited to water shallower than 150 m (490 ft)

Below that is where the hit fast moving mantle material is flowing, that is a few posts away.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You aren't the one I was calling over but since you are here in your usual capacity, . . . . . whack.
I'm trying to let them go down the rabbit hole and you keep bumping them.
Long posts aren't for everybody, people seem to feel the same way about your shirt posts, you not notice that?? . . . whack.
No need to reply means now you have to reply, . . . whack.
Who is having more fun? . . . whack.
'Stuff', that your new word of the day? . . . whack.
'Trouble'?? Copy and Paste is a challenge for you is it??

Whack.

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I forgot this little bit, it is said that temp increases cause something to expand and under a certain amount of pressure it cannot expand so it reverts to being a solid, . . . somehow. If it cannot expand it can get no hotter, the only place a liquid can go when it gets hotter is into a gas, that can be under a lot of pressure

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hooray. Now go dig deeper into geochemistry.

Start with Moh's scale and why the SiO2 (silica) bond is a gazillion times stronger than CaCO3Mg (limestone) bond and how pressure and temperature works. The Bowen reaction series will explain that throughly.

No go. Shoo, get to work!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Feel free to start a thread. I'm on this one to see if the rate of subduction is equal to the rate of the expansion. So far the expanding theme is using science while you version is fantasy as if rejects basic science. If there is a rise in temperature the mass has expanded and it will continue to do so as long as the temp increases.
A crust that is 5km thick will buckle and break and melt before it can be pushed into something 2x as thick and hotter than the crust's melting point. That is how BC was created, that also the east coast would show the same land building forces starting where the original break was made that was the start of the Atlantic Rift.