Organic food no better than regular food

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Organic food not healthier, study finds

Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:38pm EDT
LONDON (Reuters) - Organic food has no nutritional or health benefits over conventionally produced food, according to a major study published on Wednesday.
Its conclusions were challenged by organic food campaigners.
Researchers from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine said consumers paid higher prices for organic food in part because of its perceived health benefits, creating a global organic market worth an estimated $48 billion in 2007.
A systematic review of 162 scientific papers published in the scientific literature over the last 50 years, however, found there was no significant difference.
"A small number of differences in nutrient content were found to exist between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs, but these are unlikely to be of any public health relevance," said Alan Dangour, one of the report's authors.
"Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority."
The results of research, which was commissioned by the British government's Food Standards Agency, were published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
Peter Melchett, policy director of Britain's Soil Association, which promotes organic farming, said he was disappointed by the conclusions reached by the study's authors.
He criticized the methodology of the study, which he said had led researchers to reject some clear nutritional benefits as "not important."
Melchett also pointed out there was not sufficient research to assess the long-term effects of pesticides on human health.
Sales of organic food have fallen in some markets, including Britain, as recession has led consumers to cut back on purchases.
The Soil Association said in April that growth in sales of organic products in Britain slowed to just 1.7 percent in 2008, well below the average annual growth rate of 26 percent over the last decade, following a plunge in demand at the end of the year.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The study doesn't mention that the biggest health benefit from organic food production is the lack of poisons used in the process. Many of our chronic diseases like asthma are caused by pesticides and herbicides and now the threat of GM foods. These considerations are much more important than nutrition. The study is flawed in its narrow focus and that it is sponsored by a government "health" ministry makes it suspect as they are usually shills for big pharma and the chemical industries.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What a ridiculous study. Never once have I been told there was any benefit to organic food other than that of the absence of pesticides and chemicals. It's why I haven't spent the extra money on organics... because they all are in the same air, same rain, etc. Where the two are the same cost or at least reasonably similar I will buy organic. Fewer pesticides is a good thing. I also buy organic cotton where I can, but don't fool myself into thinking it makes better fabric.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

About Organic Food: Is It Worth the Cost?

By Brian Cole
Published on August 27, 2008
In the business world, organic food has arrived. What was once a small niche market for foods considered "natural" has turned into a multi-billion-dollar-a-year business. Even the world's largest retailer, Wal-Mart, now offers organic foods. Nutritionists and other experts, however, are still debating the merits of their purported health benefits. What remains certain is that those who want to eat organic foods can expect to pay a price, and a hefty one at that. While sales of organic foods have skyrocketed from $23 billion to $40 billion in just four years, the price of organic food remains high; indeed, organic foods, on average, cost 50 to 100 percent more than conventionally grown foods. This begs the question: Is going organic worth the price?
DocShop can help you find a cosmetic dermatologist in your area today.
The Organic Movement

The notion of organic farming (and thus organic food) first surfaced in the early 1900s as a direct response to industrial agriculture, which used a slew of new synthetic fertilizers and pesticides. During the first half of the twentieth century, the public's awareness of organic farming was negligible, to say the least. The opponents of the new forms of mechanized agriculture, however, continued to press for what they considered to be more sustainable and healthy farming practices. In the United States, Rodale Press was one such group. In 1942, Rodale Press started Organic Farming magazine. Now, more than 60 years later, Organic Farming is one of the most widely read gardening magazines in the world. How times have changed.
The popularity of organic food continued to increase throughout the 1970s and 80s. With consumers paying a premium for organically grown food, and no real way to verify the validity of claims involving organic farming practices, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) stepped in. Today the USDA National Organic Program sets organic food standards and oversees the mandatory certification of foods labeled "organic."
What Makes Food "Organic"?

Organic food, according to the USDA, is food that is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality.
Organic produce is grown without most conventional pesticides, fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients, or sewage sludge, which is exactly what it sounds like. Instead, organic farming involves enhancing the soil through natural means, including crop rotation, the application of compost, and mulching. Pest, weeds, crop disease, and other common thorns in the side of the farming industry are controlled through natural means, as well, including the introduction of beneficial species, exceedingly careful crop selection and rotation practices, and trapping. Weeds may also be removed by hand. Generally speaking, organic food is developed through agricultural practices that aim to utilize the resources nature provides, instead of conquering nature through man-made means.
In many cases, the production and consumption of organic food simply means accepting a certain amount of crop damage. Think Joni Mitchell singing, "Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees."
Meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products that are certified organic come from animals given no antibiotics or growth hormones. In most counties, genetic engineering also cannot be used for food to be considered organic.
When you see an organic seal on a product at your local grocery store, that product has been grown, harvested, and/or processed using organic means as defined by the USDA. The USDA also sets restrictions on the amount of pesticide residue and other foreign matter, such as hormones or antibiotics, that can be present on or in a certified organic product. A minimum of 95 percent organic ingredients must be present if a product is to carry the USDA "organic" seal, and a separate "100% organic" seal indicates that no synthetic ingredients have been used. "Made with organic ingredients" means a minimum of 70 percent organic ingredients where used.
Why Do People Eat Organic Food?

Many people choose to pay the extra premium for organic food because they believe it affords important health benefits, is more environmentally friendly, and allows farm workers to have safer work environments. A growing number of parents are also providing their children with an organic diet due to increased concerns about pesticide residues found more often on conventionally grown foods. Because children's immune systems are not fully developed, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) believes that children are at greater risk when exposed to pesticides. Although some organic foods do contains pesticide residue, the percentage of residue occurrences and the amount of pesticide present are smaller in organic foods than in non-organic foods. A 2003 study by the University of Washington, Seattle showed that children who eat organic food consume a decreased amount of pesticides.
It should be noted that the USDA certifies foods as being organic, but makes no claims that organic food is safer or healthier than other foods. The results of research concerning the health effects of organic food are mixed. A 2007 study of organic food health benefits, the largest study of its kind, suggests that some organic foods are, indeed, healthier that their non-organic equivalents. The four-year European Union study carried out by the Quality Low Input Food (QLIF) project was released in 2007 and found that those who eat organic food are consuming additional nutrients equivalent to an extra portion of fruits and vegetables each day. The study also concluded that organic fruits and vegetables contain as much as 40 percent more antioxidants, which are believed to cut the risk of heart disease and cancer.
This research is not without its detractors, however. Another 2007 study was carried out by Dr. Susanne Bugel and a team at the University of Copenhagen's Department of Human Nutrition. They researched common fruits and vegetables and found them to contain no additional nutritional value when grown using organic methods. Citing their findings, and the increased cost consumers pay for these products, the researchers called the purchase of organic foods a "lifestyle choice," and not a health necessity.
Despite all the uncertainly regarding the benefits of organic food, many organic devotees tout what they consider to be a common sense benefit: Pesticides contain poison and, given the opportunity to consume less poison through organic foods, why would you not take it? According to a recent poll by GfK Roper Consulting, the overwhelming answer to that question is cost.
Is Organic Food Worth the Extra Expense?

Now that organic food has gone from the farmers’ market to American's mainstream consciousness, consumers seem more and more willing to absorb the increased prices associated with organic products. The GfK Roper poll showed 64 percent of respondents had purchased organic foods or beverages during their lives. These people, not surprisingly, responded more positively to questions about the benefits of organic foods than those who had not purchased organic products. Even so, the survey found that the single biggest factor preventing consumers from purchasing organic food was cost.
The non-profit Environmental Working Group, based in Washington D.C., recommends getting the biggest bang for your organic buck by concentrating on those foods that otherwise are most affected by pesticide residue:

• Peaches
  • Apples
  • Celery
  • Sweet Bell Peppers
  • Nectarines
  • Strawberries
  • Cherries
  • Pears
  • Imported Grapes
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Potatoes
The Environmental Working Group has dubbed these items the "dirty dozen," and if you're going to convert some of your diet to organic foods, you should probably concentrate on these items first. If the availability of organic foods continues to increase and more major food chains carry organic products, prices will likely fall in the future.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My wife is a nutritionist and she says that most organic foods are not worth the price. she also says that most of the residual pesticides can be washed off. The following link is to a bit more information.

Pesticides in Food

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
My wife is a nutritionist and she says that most organic foods are not worth the price. she also says that most of the residual pesticides can be washed off. The following link is to a bit more information.

Pesticides in Food

That is partly true. But to be organic they cannot be GMO which is even more important than the poisons . I prefer that my veggies do not get contaminated by pesticides simply because I eat almost all of it raw. Their study is seriously flawed anyway. Looks like the same doctor that said smoking is good for you wrote it.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

Pesticides in Food

Yes they can be washed off but the still are in the environment. I believe that is the only benefit to organic. The pesticides don't get into the environment in the first place.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes they can be washed off but the still are in the environment. I believe that is the only benefit to organic. The pesticides don't get into the environment in the first place.

precisely. Because pesticides don't rinse out of our drinking water. They're really hard to scrub out of lungs. And the build up in our fish and other meat sources is almost impossible to get rid of.

That's why I brought up organic cotton.... food isn't the only crop we're spraying. One stat I heard said that cotton comprises 30% of the world crops, but 70% of the pesticide consumption. That's a huge chemical burden.

The nasty truth is that any chemical manufactured WILL be consumed by us eventually, in one way shape or form, regardless of our good intentions in keeping ourselves and our planet healthy.

Reactions: eh1eh

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Did they really need a study to find that out? I would have thought it was obvious, that organic food does not have any additional nutritional benefits. An apple is an apple, whether organic or non organic.

People may prefer organic food (I myself don’t) for other reasons, but nutrition isn’t one of them. I thought it was commonly accepted knowledge that there is no nutritional difference between the two, but I guess not.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Did they really need a study to find that out? I would have thought it was obvious, that organic food does not have any additional nutritional benefits. An apple is an apple, whether organic or non organic.

People may prefer organic food (I myself don’t) for other reasons, but nutrition isn’t one of them. I thought it was commonly accepted knowledge that there is no nutritional difference between the two, but I guess not.
I don't think anyone is searching for nutritional value in organic versus non-organic anyway. I think the only thought is to attempt to eat less "poison". I question why people spend extra money on things like organic watermelon, cantaloupe, avocados and any other thing that has a thick skin you peel and throw in the trash. My brother has run his orchard for well over 35 years. He has driven his tractor up and down the rows of trees applying all these things to the fruit. His health could be better but really - for someone who directly breathed in all those chemicals for all those years, he's probably no worse off than most people his age, yet, so many people buy so many organic products including canned organic products. It is not classified as truly organic unless it actually states "Certified Organic".

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
VanIsle, I personally never boutght the organic hype, I buy foodstuff based upon cost. On the rare occasion that the organic stuff is marked down and is cheaper than the non organic stuff, I buy it.

But I can understand people buying organic stuff, fewer preservatives, pesticides, better treatment of animals etc. But if anybody bought organic stuff because it was more nutritious (more vitamins, more complex carbohydrates, proteins etc.), they were only kidding themselves.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
'certified organic', and just organic, are two totally different items, and if one
is actually concerned with eating truly organically grown food, you must buy 'certified.'
Certified is grown purely without any foreign matter, or other ingredients.
Yes, certified organically grown food is safe and good for us, over foods that
are injected with 'whatever', although I eat both, don't particularly worry about
it, although I try to buy foods grown and produced as close to home as possible.
Price is important, as organically grown foods are expensive, and I know I am not
able to afford to buy them all the time, just occasionally.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
There's a difference between the small amount of pesticides that land on organic foods and that deliberately sprayed onto storebought foods. It's called "concentration".
IMO, the best foods are those you've grown in your own yard and without using herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, and all the other cides. Chickens keep our garden free of bugs about the surface, our garden had marigolds scattered amongst the vveggies, and plain old lime keeps the underground bugs away for the most part. The sacrifice? Our chickens like celery and lettuce. The gain? Respect for what we eat and a relatively healthy food sans corporate interference.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Classic example: tomatoes. I challenge anybody to grow their own tomatoes and eat one, then one from a chain store. You will think they are two different species. One is anemic and the other tastes like food.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Would you (anyone) trust a pharmaceutical company whose business it is to sell medication to mess with your food? If you would, that's even more stupid than making your cook angry.
"Let's see if we can engineer some food so that it'll cause glitchitis so people will have to buy our medicine to combat the glitchitis".

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I just don't trust humanity in general, to mess with the existing design of the earth.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Take this for example...

"Kernel Send Signal to Wasps: Need help Quick!!
When caterpillars attack corn leaves, corn fights back. First a signal is emitted; then the corn kernels call in a troop of parasitic wasps to surprise attack the caterpillars. Female rescue wasps lay their eggs directly into the enemy caterpillars, and when they hatch, the larvae feast on the caterpillar's insides. As the larvae mature, they crawl out of the caterpillars as wasps and fly away. Mission accomplished.
All right, you buy the part about the wasps, but what is this corn-signaling-for-help nonsense?
According to researchers Ted Turlings, Ph.D., and James Tumlinson, Ph.D., of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Gainesville, Florida, corn emits a distress chemical, or turpenoid, when it senses caterpillar saliva. (Call it the "spit factor.") Wasps then pick up the turpenoid's scent and fly over to save the day.
The two researchers are currently trying to figure out why the corn reacts to the caterpillar's saliva. They are also rearing wasps in the laboratory and "teaching" them to read the corn's distress signal. Turlings and Tumlinson have developed a synthetic blend (similar to the turpenoid) that not only attracts wasps, but also poisons caterpillars and acts as an antibiotic against fungus and bacteria.
Turlings and Tulinson hope that one day farmers will sic 'em on cornfields by the swarm. " CORN WAGES CHEMICAL WARFARE

I simply don't trust some dumb scientist to raise 'smart' corn. I foresee moron corn that can't react to caterpillars at all, and won't employ natural methods to fight an infestation. I don't want to eat retarded corn. I like smart corn thanks.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I think manure run off in the watershed is just as bad as some other chemicals. Without any form of pesticide, I believe swarming insects would rapidly extinguish any hope of sustainability.