Jimmy Carter is trying a brand-new drug to fight his cancer

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
"It's really a whole new class of therapy... it allows our own immune system to fight a cancer"

Keytruda — known generically as pembrolizumab — targets genes called PD-1 and PD-L1. The interaction between the two genes lets some tumors escape detection and destruction by immune system cells that normally prevent cancer from spreading in the body.

Cancer experts say while Carter will never be cured, the drug has had startling effects in a few people, and at the worst shouldn't make him too sick — even at age 90.

"That concept has really been around for decades in cancer but we have not been able to give therapies without terrible side effects," he said.

The Food and Drug Administration gave Keytruda accelerated approval last September for patients whose melanoma has spread.

Keytruda does have side-effects, such as fatigue and rash. But each person is different, and Carter said he only had a "slight reaction" to his infusion of Keytruda on Wednesday night.

"I had a little bit of pain in my shoulder," he told reporters. "And I went to bed at about six o'clock last night and woke up at 8 a.m. this morning. It was the best night sleep I've had in many years," he added.

Keytruda, which has also shown promise as a treatment for lung cancer, doesn't require hours of infusion, and doctors said Carter should be able to resume many of his activities.

"Keytruda is basically a 30-minute infusion because it doesn't have nausea as side-effect," said Dr. Sapna Patel, assistant professor of medicine at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

"It's not toxic. It doesn't clog up the kidney," she added.

And even though he's 90, Carter is strong, Patel pointed out. That's clear from his active life.

And a cure is not the goal, said Curran. "We're not looking for cure in patients who have a disease like melanoma that's spread," he said. "What we're seeing in some types of cancer which may not be curable is long-term life with a good quality of life."

That means keeping the tumors from growing, spreading and causing symptoms, even if they are never eradicated

Jimmy Carter Is Trying a Brand-New Drug to Fight His Cancer - NBC News

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well, Carter seems to be a really good man, even if he was not so great as POTUS. We wish him well.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Well, Carter seems to be a really good man, even if he was not so great as POTUS. We wish him well.

Carter was a very unlucky POTUS who inherited all sorts of bad stuff in the wake of Nixon/Ford.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Whatever. We think he is a good dude, which was my point.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
This is the Science thread where the focus is on the 'science of disease and cures' not the Politics thread......

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Science and politics are closely linked. That is why evil organizations like Monsanto have done so well and why Cannabis is illegal but mind altering drugs are prescribed and paid for by the government.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Carter was a very unlucky POTUS who inherited all sorts of bad stuff in the wake of Nixon/Ford.

Oh horse hockey, he was a wimp who did not have the intestinal fortitude to be President of the United States.

I'll grant it, that he was a good humanitarian man, but the Iran hostages languishing for a year was all on him.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Science and politics are closely linked. That is why evil organizations like Monsanto have done so well and why Cannabis is illegal but mind altering drugs are prescribed and paid for by the government.
Chemo therapy is prescribed and paid for by government. Poison. Saw on Face Book today that Liquid marijuana is curing cancer. Heard the same two years ago. Would be nice for people to know how it does work. Miracle cure or zero?
Oncologists world wide are working on Immunotherapy. Doing biopsies of tumours and using that info to find out exactly what causes cancer per individual. The program is referred to as POG. In Canada, they need 9000 participants. Even so, they do not have the funding even if they can cure your particular cancer! If there was anything close to fair about what their CEO is paid, maybe the funding could be in place.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Just in time for old age to claim him.

I'll grant it, that he was a good humanitarian man, but the Iran hostages languishing for a year was all on him.
The release was held up so it could happen on the day Regan took the office. Nobody ever asked the hostages what they thought of that manipulation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Jimmy was just on the news announcing he is now cancer free. Long live Jimmy!

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Wasn't much he could do the economy was in the toilet and I'm sure he was not responsible for that. Hell I remember in those days a 21 % interest rate. No one was doing much.

As I recall, there wasn't too much wrong with Jimmy- the worst thing may have been his reluctance to negotiate with terrorists! :) :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I would think this would top that.

How Jimmy Carter and I Started the Mujahideen
Q: The former director of the CIA, Robert Gates, stated in his memoirs [“From the Shadows”], that American intelligence services began to aid the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan 6 months before the Soviet intervention. In this period you were the national security adviser to President Carter. You therefore played a role in this affair. Is that correct?
Brzezinski: Yes. According to the official version of history, CIA aid to the Mujahadeen began during 1980, that is to say, after the Soviet army invaded Afghanistan, 24 Dec 1979. But the reality, secretly guarded until now, is completely otherwise: Indeed, it was July 3, 1979 that President Carter signed the first directive for secret aid to the opponents of the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul. And that very day, I wrote a note to the president in which I explained to him that in my opinion this aid was going to induce a Soviet military intervention.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Glad to know that all is well for President Carter. But when we see such quick results we need to be cautious of unforeseen consequences such as degeneration in other parts of the body. Such side effects may not be readily visible at first but may ultimately appear, often quite suddenly and with serious consequences. Hoping for the best for him ...

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Glad to know that all is well for President Carter. But when we see such quick results we need to be cautious of unforeseen consequences such as degeneration in other parts of the body. Such side effects may not be readily visible at first but may ultimately appear, often quite suddenly and with serious consequences. Hoping for the best for him ...

I hear you, Gopher. Quite often people make a remarkable improvement days or weeks before the end. Hope that not the case with Jimmy. I think there is also the outside chance that what he had wasn't actually cancer. But then I'm not a doctor! (as you probably know) :)

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Just in time for old age to claim him.

The release was held up so it could happen on the day Regan took the office. Nobody ever asked the hostages what they thought of that manipulation.

The release happened because Iran knew that the incoming President was going to launch a military campaign. They weren't stupid.

Much in the same way Ye Old Ayatollah stepped out on his balcony and told his followers not to storm the Soviet Embassy after they invaded Afghanistan.