Wind farm noise does harm sleep and health, say scientists

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda:

Y2Kyoto: Who needs to sleep?

Apparently sleep researchers haven't been getting enough of that cool green Gov't money. They came out against human habitation near windmill farms.

I'm sure we'll quickly be brought up to speed though on why this study is flawed.

American and British researchers compared two groups of residents in the US state of Maine. One group lived within a mile of a wind farm and the second group did not.

Both sets of people were demographically and socially similar, but the researchers found major differences in the quality of sleep the two groups enjoyed.

The findings provide the clearest evidence yet to support long-standing complaints from people living near turbines that the sound from their rotating blades disrupts sleep patterns and causes stress-related conditions.

more

Wind farm noise does harm sleep and health, say scientists - Telegraph

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I wonder what noise wind farms generate that interferes with people's sleep. I had an aunt and uncle that lived in a house in Haney, BC that was no more than 30 meters from a often used railway line. They lived there for some 60 years and both died well into their 90s. The line that goes past here is about 80 meters away and is regularly used. Neither of us pay much attention to the engines' sounds, screeching of wheels on track, whistling of superchargers, horns, etc.
I wonder how people near airports can survive. Same for people that live near busy ambulance, fire, etc. stations. Especially when their dogs start yodeling at the sounds of sirens.

Anyway, if noises really bothered us, I'd either build or buy a white noise generator.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Well then, I guess it's a dammed good thing that almost all windfarms are nowhere near human settlements. I suspect trafic noise in cities is of much greater consequence to most of humanity. Too bad these scientists are not just as concerned about that noise as well.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wonder what noise wind farms generate that interferes with people's sleep. I had an aunt and uncle that lived in a house in Haney, BC that was no more than 30 meters from a often used railway line. They lived there for some 60 years and both died well into their 90s. The line that goes past here is about 80 meters away and is regularly used. Neither of us pay much attention to the engines' sounds, screeching of wheels on track, whistling of superchargers, horns, etc.
I wonder how people near airports can survive. Same for people that live near busy ambulance, fire, etc. stations. Especially when their dogs start yodeling at the sounds of sirens.

Anyway, if noises really bothered us, I'd either build or buy a white noise generator.

Well then, I guess it's a dammed good thing that almost all windfarms are nowhere near human settlements. I suspect trafic noise in cities is of much greater consequence to most of humanity. Too bad these scientists are not just as concerned about that noise as well.

It's all in the frequency of the sound. Sounds you can't hear are the ones that do the physical damage.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Damn! I guess I should change the plans I had to build a new house here....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A few thoughts come to mind.
1. I've read in psych texts that people are really quite huge hypochondriacs about our sleep patterns. Small changes in sleep quality are often exaggerated by patients.
2. The effects of white noise on sleep tend to be directly opposite to what this article would suggest.
3. I've never been anywhere near a windfarm, so the specific sounds, patterns, etc., are beyond my imagining. It must be something seriously odd to make people that sick

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Once again.

Sounds IS vibrations.

There was a fella back in the 1800's who started to research the effects of vibration.

His name was Bernardino Ramazzini.

Google him.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
It's the infrasound frequencies that science is saying causes harm. But there are ways of avoiding infrasound, like I said. Besides, anyone who would want to live under or right beside a windfarm already has scrambled brains.
Besides, Petros is against any form of energy source other than oil, hydro, coal, etc. The dirtier the better.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Once again.

Sounds IS vibrations.

There was a fella back in the 1800's who started to research the effects of vibration.

His name was Bernardino Ramazzini.

Google him.

Of course. That is why people hate living beside the following:
Airports
Highways
School yards
Cathedrals
Railroads
Steel mills
Cement plants
Automobile race tracks
Sports complexes
Shopping malls

I wonder how many of those unfortunate enough to live next to those noisemakers suffer from sleep harm and health, especially given the fact that far more people do live next to them than live next to wind farms?