Options for immigration to Canada?

Sproutie

Sep 6, 2009
Denver, CO
[FONT=&quot]My husband and I are currently researching immigrating to Canada.
I am researching what the best way to go about moving, working, and becoming a permanent resident in Canada. So much of it seams to be pretty complicated with many different ways from skilled worker to sponsorship, etc. I am hoping to find someone who is familiar with immigration to Canada that can make any helpful suggestions or tips.

A little bit about us....
We have been living in Colorado for the past year and a half and before that we were in Texas. We had to leave Texas because we couldn't take the hot weather. And to be honest Denver, CO is not cold enough either. :smile:

My husband (34 years old) would not be seeking work in Canada he is a writer and our daughters primary care giver. Although he dose bring in almost half of our current income it is not enough for us to live on.

Me (30 year old) I would be the one looking for work in Canada. I have many years in management experience. Currently I am the live on site manager for a storage facility here in Colorado and I have been doing this for almost 4 years now. Prior to this I was an assistant manager at a pet store (3 years) and I also have experience as a shift manager in a restaurant (2 years) but was in various positions at the same restaurant for 3 years before working as a shift manager. Ideally I would be looking for work in the same field as I am in now working at a storage facility or possibly in a hotel or apartment management or assistant manager role.

Our daughter is four years old and currently in pre school.

We are open as to where we move to in Canada and we have researched many places. So far we think Edmonton would be an excellent fit for us but are open for suggestions as well. Unfortunately we don't speak French so Quebec may not be the best fit for us.

Any help or suggestions are very appreciated!
[/FONT]

GrizzlyBear

Sep 6, 2009
Toronto
Come on up to Canada!

Smart move choosing Alberta...it's about as close to the States as we've got up here, politically. Culturally, I'd say Southern Ontario is more States-like than anywhere else in Canada.

As for Edmonton...well, if you're coming from Denver - and if you like mountains - you may want to consider Calgary which is closer to the Rockies, or perhaps a smaller center like Red Deer, or Lethbridge. Actually, if I had my druthers I'd be in Lethbridge right now...beautiful place, great location.

Weather-wise Canada is predominantly cooler, no doubt...though Southern Alberta can be prone to chinooks from time to time which can bring winter temps up into the 40s, 50s, and sometimes even the 60s! (Won't bother using the metric temps on you. :))

When it comes to knowledge of the French language, the only provinces you'd have to worry about that would be Quebec and New Brunswick...and even in most of NB you can get by without French just fine.

Best of luck!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Welcome Aboard. My Daughter-in-law emigrated from Salt Lake City
& now has her Landed Immigrant Status here in Saskatchewan. She
has made a few posts on the forum (I'll have to hunt them down though)
with some good first hand experience dealing with the immigration
system.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
One could do like a lot of people: commit some nasty crimes elsewhere and then scurry here illegally. The CIC will ensure your safety as you live here in comfort. They only get rid of the relatively honest illegals.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The free healthcare Canadians enjoy is a bonus in itself.

Since you spent most of your time in western America you should come to the prairies because it’s nice and cold and the people have a simplistic view on different issues and I say it as a compliment because when one deals with the complex issues of life one gets depressed fast.

You would probably enjoy Calgary because of the population explosion a lot of it is new and has good job opportunities.

I hope this helped you

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I immigrated to Canada in 1957.

Back then immigrants like myself realized what current immigrants can't get thru their thick heads:

You came came here, behave yourself.

Don't expect to start at the top. Work for every incremental advancement.

Even though the darker your skin the better chances to be put ahead of everyone else, have the integrity to be honest.

LEARN ENGLISH!!!!

Your kids DO NOT need (and neither do you) wasted crap like English as Second Language.Your kids willl speak English at HOME, to your chagrin in two weeks after enrolling them in regular school. As for you, apply yourself.

Give Canadians the respect by NOT demanding of removal of Christmas trees, Nativity scenes, etc. Remember the freedom your old country would have give/gives to anyone not of state religion.

Your choice to be accepted or despised.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The goal of the skilled worker program is to bring in people with skills to match demand. Take the test to see if this program applies to you:
Immigrating as a worker: am I eligible?

Also if you are willing to work in a remote location like Fort McMurray, you could get a job offer first and then apply to stay in Canada as a landed immigrant.

If your goal is to move to a cooler climate, it might be easier to move to Alaska.

I'd try visiting Canada first before deciding to immigrate. How about driving the Alaskan highway? Alaska Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"So you don't believe in equal rights?"

Of course, I do!!!

Those who want to abolish Chrismas trees and Nativity Scenes are the ones who don't. And, obviously people like you.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
...prairies...people have a simplistic view on different issues ...

Maybe once you leave the major cities and maybe not even then.

Calgary and Edmonton are almost as cosmopolitan as Vancouver and Toronto.

Some of the most qualified people I've ever met in the IT industry in North America work at Sasktel. Saskatchewan may be Canada's most wired and connected province.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
:roll:

Who's rights are being violated or made unequal by a Christmas tree?

I am not against the Christmas tree or the Nativity scene but is the community is made up of other beliefs then the other religious symbols should be displayed or non at all.

This is the only fair way to go.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Calgary and Edmonton are almost as cosmopolitan as Vancouver and Toronto.

The keyword is almost as cosmopolitan.

When I say simplistic I don’t mean stupid I mean a simpler way of life.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"This is the only fair way to go."

NO, NO and NO, Goddamn it!!!

The only fair way is that newcomers realize that there were and are people here before they came.

If they don't like Christmas trees and Nativity Scenes or for that matter, anything reflecting the country before these worthless bastards came here, let them go back to ewhere the Hell they came from.

And take worthless bastards like Liberalman with them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am not against the Christmas tree or the Nativity scene but is the community is made up of other beliefs then the other religious symbols should be displayed or non at all.

This is the only fair way to go.
And who's being stopped from putting up other religious celebratory media?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
"This is the only fair way to go."

NO, NO and NO, Goddamn it!!!

The only fair way is that newcomers realize that there were and are people here before they came.

If they don't like Christmas trees and Nativity Scenes or for that matter, anything reflecting the country before these worthless bastards came here, let them go back to ewhere the Hell they came from.

And take worthless bastards like Liberalman with them.

Everyone has equal rights so display all symbols so get used to it

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Everyone has equal rights so display all symbols so get used to it"

That means the display of Christmas trees and Nativity scenes, so get used to it!!