Top Eight Reasons NOT to immigrate to Canada (Reasons Not To Live In Canada)

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze

Quote: Originally Posted by Nascar_James

For the conservative minded folks, here are 10 reasons NOT to immigrate to Canada.

1. High taxes
2. Too easy on criminals
3. Gay marriage overrides traditional values
4. Government polices interferes with freedom of religion
5. $ 2 billion dollar gun registry penalizing the law abiding instead of the criminals
6. Inefficient healthcare system
7. Government is pro-abortion
8. Too much spending on social programs such as welfare
9. Very weak Canadian military
10. The US is just a stone's throw away and overall better choice

you made this crap up, didn't you???

I wish I did Ocean, but sadly enough it's true.

sadly NJ.......and with due respect........your personal biases /prejudices are showing in that list. The list is NOT TRUE.........it is your perception of the situation.

Your "list" is begging the witness .

Pro abortion: I fecking hope so........as this means it is pro choice. Freedom means pro choice. means free choice. There are laws to define boundaries. (as there should be)

Gay marriage.??? Hope so........again people choices , over rule "gender" issues and biasis.

these are just a coupla examples.

and BTW: no one is forcing you to come to CA.......so what is the problem???

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

The US is just a stone's throw away

Now,........this IS a good reason NOT to move here. Too close to the US warmongers.

One for the jimbo.

Nascar_James
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

i just want to know how our government interferes with freedom of religion. Maybe James the Non-Man can explain that.

Politicians have no right to butt in telling the Catholic church that it's wrong to deny communion to politicians that support abortion. The Catholic Church has every right to deny communion to any who's not a Catholic.

peapod
askthepope.blogspot.com/ (external - login to view)

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Politicians have no right to butt in telling the Catholic church that it's wrong to deny communion to politicians that support abortion. The Catholic Church has every right to deny communion to any who's not a Catholic.

Politicians never legslated who the Catholic church gives communion too. They did stand up and remind the church that it has no business trying to dictate Canadian policy. So did thousands of other Canadians, including Catholics and even priests.

Martin's own parish priest said that he would keep giving communion to Paul Martin.

cdn_bc_ca
While some of the things that are mentioned in the article are a little heavy handed, I personally believe that some of the points are valid.

"Canadian Embassies around the world lie to foreigners, painting this picture that Canada is Utopia, because they want them to come to Canada. Why? Because foreigners bring money!"
Currently the reason is money, but previously it was labour. I went on a tour of the Canadian Rockies by train and learned alot of how Canada built the railroad using imported labour from China. How did they do it? Using the exact same techniques as the quote above. Then when those poor immigrants get here, things are not what they seem. Nothing has changed.

Very high taxes
While I get the feeling that most people on the board are happy with the taxes they are paying, I really don't agree. I don't see any value from the taxes that I pay. I mean, a quarter of my income goes to taxes, my property tax has gone up again, I'm getting a tax that is taxed ontop of that for filling up my car. gee, the list goes on and on. This taxing business is getting out of control. Where does this money go? Why is it that politicians get such good pensions? Why is it that a person can go to jail and get free education? What's with the free injection sites for addicts? Seems like the value is going to different places and people. Maybe that's why when used to volunteer for a local charity I always get the excuse of "No, I pay taxes" when asked for a donation.

No jobs
Depends on where you come from. If the institution where you got your degree from is not recognized in Canada, then you are **** out of luck. I think the reality of this is any institution from a third world country. I used to work in a Chinese restaurant in my teen years as a delivery driver. I've never seen a 40 year old dishwasher before (as usually they are just kids on a summer job like me) and I eventually found out that the guy is actually an engineer... I don't know what he's doing now, but I wish him the best of luck.
BTW, if you are wondering why there are so many immigrants in our universities, it is because our institutions are highly recognized in other countries. So much so, that visa students are willing to pay in excess of 5 times the tuition of what a Canadian citizen would pay. But the end result is that they return home and earn top dollar. So yes, those of you who say that they should go back to their own country, well, they are actually doing that.

Pro Abortion
Touchy subject, but I believe the choice should be up to the mother. As for this murder thing, well, when the time comes when we can all agree on the issue of when a fetus becomes a human and not just a bunch of cells, then maybe I will change my mind.

Gay Marriages
Is this strictly a religious issue? If two people want to get married then go for it. What is this overriding of traditional values? Whose values are they, really?

I read some posts about racism. All I can say is that when a country is made of up of different races, religions, and cultures, racism will always be an issue.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by cdn_bc_ca

No jobs
Depends on where you come from. If the institution where you got your degree from is not recognized in Canada, then you are **** out of luck. I think the reality of this is any institution from a third world country. I used to work in a Chinese restaurant in my teen years as a delivery driver. I've never seen a 40 year old dishwasher before (as usually they are just kids on a summer job like me) and I eventually found out that the guy is actually an engineer... I don't know what he's doing now, but I wish him the best of luck.
BTW, if you are wondering why there are so many immigrants in our universities, it is because our institutions are highly recognized in other countries. So much so, that visa students are willing to pay in excess of 5 times the tuition of what a Canadian citizen would pay. But the end result is that they return home and earn top dollar. So yes, those of you who say that they should go back to their own country, well, they are actually doing that.

If any of you bothered to do some research, you would discover some facts. In order to be registered as a Professional Engineer in Canada, you have to prove that you have the education and ability that Canadian trained engineers have. In NB there is a program whereby you, as a foreign trained engineer, can provide your education record; if the Association deems the education as equivalent to the Canadian system, you can then apply to have your work experience reviewed, where you sit in front of a board of 3 engineers who review your work history and interview you to decide if you can skip the exam to be registered.

It isn't that difficult, but it is harder than whining and complaining.
Which seems to be a more popular option.

nelk
Last poster ;
can you make a connection from the water woes of the Kashechewan reserve to the previous comment?

Over half of first nation watersystems are not meeting water standards fit for humans, but actually are way below the
minimum considered safe.
By Law , and there is no exception with reserves, any water-, sewersystem, band infrastructure etc are studied , consulted on, designed, tendered and contract supervised by a bunch of people the band has to hire to ensure that the payments of band contribution agreements from federal agency are received.

Who are these people who are supposed to know and be on top of things when it comes to technical expertise?

The ones supposedly protecting the general public from harm and working with concern and ethics!

Do the ones with "Canadian Experience" know that their delivered system may have to stand up to extreme weather condition and also be operated with and by less than perfect peoples?

Do they know the shortcomings of the situations, which promotes to have systems fall apart in no time after commissioning and raise sufficient stink to draw attention?

Do they give a hoot?

Are they really qualified; I mean really qualified ?

Not just adorned with an iron ring and a registration number, but with a record of what is produced will benefit and prevent harm to peoples? not just for the time until the billing/fee cheques cleared!

Another question is, are these people in any way qualified to judge foreign trained engineers produced by technically advanced countries like Germany ,India, China and yes most others too?

The power of professional associations in this nation can only be compared with a kid who got the key to the candy store and only allows his friends and himself to ransack the place; greedily keeping everyone else out; ............not a pretty picture.
Of course they keep "strangers" out; is much to lucrative and who likes to have someone look over their shoulder and call the bluff?

Look ,if Prof.Engineering would be up to snuff we would design, produce the goodies needed and bought by Canadians right here, not ship everything from abroad.
Canada has it all, to do it, including peoples who want to participate.
Off course all the first nation youngsters would be encouraged to learn something and could be part of workforce and not adding to another group of excluded and oppressed.

Interesting to note that in Rex Murphys "Country Checkup" of last sunday :not even a mentioning about the substandard performance of professional participants!
Keep a low profile and cash the cheque........ good performance P.Eng.... ok there are some good apples also!
nelk

lena
well not only on the rez. Sask water sucks! Small towns are really bad...example..Govan..leroy.. I can go on. How their water gets OKd is beyond me.

peapod
Who you be tonight lena...ehm...your fellow neocons like to take a nip every so often and spill the beans....how's the farm lena taking a freshly baked apple pie outta the oven

lena
tell me your prob with my last post

cdn_bc_ca
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny

if the Association deems the education as equivalent to the Canadian system...

And that's the problem right there...

Tresson

So your saying that we should let people who don't meet our standards work in this country? Then why do we have the those standards if we aren't going to follow them?

peapod
somewhat of a oxymoron eh, tresson

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by nelk

Last poster ;
can you make a connection from the water woes of the Kashechewan reserve to the previous comment?

Over half of first nation watersystems are not meeting water standards fit for humans, but actually are way below the
minimum considered safe.
By Law , and there is no exception with reserves, any water-, sewersystem, band infrastructure etc are studied , consulted on, designed, tendered and contract supervised by a bunch of people the band has to hire to ensure that the payments of band contribution agreements from federal agency are received.

Who are these people who are supposed to know and be on top of things when it comes to technical expertise?

The ones supposedly protecting the general public from harm and working with concern and ethics!

Do the ones with "Canadian Experience" know that their delivered system may have to stand up to extreme weather condition and also be operated with and by less than perfect peoples?

Do they know the shortcomings of the situations, which promotes to have systems fall apart in no time after commissioning and raise sufficient stink to draw attention?

Do they give a hoot?

Are they really qualified; I mean really qualified ?

Not just adorned with an iron ring and a registration number, but with a record of what is produced will benefit and prevent harm to peoples? not just for the time until the billing/fee cheques cleared!

Another question is, are these people in any way qualified to judge foreign trained engineers produced by technically advanced countries like Germany ,India, China and yes most others too?

The power of professional associations in this nation can only be compared with a kid who got the key to the candy store and only allows his friends and himself to ransack the place; greedily keeping everyone else out; ............not a pretty picture.
Of course they keep "strangers" out; is much to lucrative and who likes to have someone look over their shoulder and call the bluff?

Look ,if Prof.Engineering would be up to snuff we would design, produce the goodies needed and bought by Canadians right here, not ship everything from abroad.
Off course all the first nation youngsters would be encouraged to learn something and could be part of workforce and not adding to another group of excluded and oppressed.

Interesting to note that in Rex Murphys "Country Checkup" of last sunday :not even a mentioning about the substandard performance of professional participants!
Keep a low profile and cash the cheque........ good performance P.Eng.... ok there are some good apples also!
nelk

You really have to be insane. You're suddenly claiming that first nations water woes are the result of Professional Engineers????

I didn't know that it was the engineers that set the budgets and approved the line item expenses for each reserve. All the design and engineering in the world doesn't help if the politicians won't spend the money.

Stop being an idiot.

Reverend Blair
The band asked for $18 million for a water purification project. They were given $4 million and told to make due. The Conservatives are currently running a smear campaign against the chief, the band, the teacher who got a hold of the media, the provincial Liberals, and the federal Liberals.

Most of that smear campaign has nothing to do with the water issue, but it does show the mean-spiritedness and thinly-veiled racism of the Conservative party.

sj007
whell the consevative have beacome the party represebnting the west now in stead of a pan canadian party

nelk
Ten penny,
did you ever work for any of the first nations. Do you know how engineering affects and matters to situations like the one mentioned in this thread. Did you ever work with engineering consultants in an indian reserve setting.
So before letting yourself go with uncalled for niceties think.
For me ,all questions above are affirmative. Been there, done it!

MMMike
Quote:

We're talking about a sophisticated, highly technical water treatment plant - they cannot be designed to operate by themselves. The problem is not with the design, it is with the lack of accountability and responsibility for the operation and maintenance.

Quote:

Uh, by definition, yes of course they are qualified to judge foreign trained engineers.

Quote:

Is playtime over yet? What an ignorant comment. The reason everything we consume is not 'made in Canada' has nothing to do with lack of technical expertise, but everything to do with economic reality. We live in a global economy.

nelk
W-five show on CTV triggers website hits to go through the roof. Over 30 000 hits on this famous site www.notcanada.com within the last three days.
Avalanche of letters too, beats most of these lame two liners in here.

peapod
ahhhhhhhhhhh...sweet...more ilk from nelk

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by nelk

Ten penny,
did you ever work for any of the first nations. Do you know how engineering affects and matters to situations like the one mentioned in this thread. Did you ever work with engineering consultants in an indian reserve setting.
So before letting yourself go with uncalled for niceties think.
For me ,all questions above are affirmative. Been there, done it!

I'm glad that you understand that engineers are responsible for all budget decisions, and that you are a highly qualified consulting engineer. Maybe that explains your total lack of knowledge about how the qualifications for immigrating engineers are determined, since that's where this started. And to answer your questions, yes, yes, yes and yes; and incidentallly, the situation is just as bad for NON first nations communities. Any project involving municipalities is hopelessly mired in stupid rules due to politics. I'm involved in it every week.

Maybe before you wander off topic, you could go back to the point I was making, which was that the comments about immigrants and professional qualifications show a lack of knowledge of how things are done.

But I forgot: on the net, ignorance is king. Long live stupid, ill informed opinions!!!

cdn_bc_ca
Quote: Originally Posted by Tresson

So your saying that we should let people who don't meet our standards work in this country? Then why do we have the those standards if we aren't going to follow them?

No. The problem is how the Association determines what is equivilent and what is not.

the caracal kid
there are real reasons not to emmigrate to canada. w5 just did a story on some of these issues.

Canada is so diverse and spread out it is rather hard to make up a realistic short list of reasons not to live in Canada though. The 'magic' of Canada is this diversity in just about everything. The tradeoff being that Canada lacks a strong central 'image' of what it is. There are other places that have a more narrowly defined 'persona'. To each his/her own. Diversity is what makes the planet wonderful. I will agree though that 'culture' is lacking in a great deal of the country, because to me 'beer and hockey' are not culture.

peapod
Oh blah! every canuck knows that beer comes from culture, yeast culture, in fact here is a link to the national collection of yeast cultures, cool pics there.

www.ncyc.co.uk/ (external - login to view)

Lotuslander
Canada is a great place and I enjoy living in beautiful British Columbia! Vancouver though leaves much to be desired. Don't think me crass, I'm a lifelong Vancouverite but, it has rained 28 out of 30 days so far in January and before that we were on a track to break the record of 28 straight days of rain. Enough is enough! Today it was sunny, thank God, but I need more vitiamnin E than just seeing the Sun once a month. Sure it is warm, mild and wet, you can play golf almost anytime but righ now I gladly take the bitter cold of Upper Canada or Nova Scotia than the constant drizzle of Lotus Land if only I saw the Sun.

Seriously though, i went outside today and the sun hurt my eyes!

Doryman
Quote: Originally Posted by the caracal kid

there are real reasons not to emmigrate to canada. w5 just did a story on some of these issues.

Canada is so diverse and spread out it is rather hard to make up a realistic short list of reasons not to live in Canada though. The 'magic' of Canada is this diversity in just about everything. The tradeoff being that Canada lacks a strong central 'image' of what it is. There are other places that have a more narrowly defined 'persona'. To each his/her own. Diversity is what makes the planet wonderful. I will agree though that 'culture' is lacking in a great deal of the country, because to me 'beer and hockey' are not culture.

Really Caracal, that's a bit ignorant. Hockey culture is a large part of many peoples Canadian identity. Just because you don't see it as such doesn't mean it isn't true. And one would agree that Wine constitutes a large part of French culture, oui? So why wouldn't Beer be a legitimate part of Canadian culture.

Of course, elitism and Snobbery is a huge part of Canadian culture as well, so I'll have to let you off with this.

petros
Don't worry. Soon Chinese orpahans will be adopting Hollywood lesbians and all will be equal in the land of Oz.

Ron in Regina
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CheeriosView Post

Despite the prominent Scandinavian, Slavic and German descent in Canada - I can't find a decent plate of Swedish meatballs, Kubasa or Bratwurst; let alone beer, in any Canadian city and yet just about every Canadian city (sometimes even small towns) will have at least a dozen Chinese / Korean / Japanese restaurants.

Urban culture... it's hard to develop one when everyone is working 40+ hours a week. Most of our urban traditions and cultures often date back to the 1870s - 1920s when we were all farmers and we had a load of time on our hands to organize events.

Huh....that's a shame. I worked 242 hours last month, and still manage to have a life.
I'll be meeting family later today in the Serbian Club in Regina. No culture there though,
I guess. Good food & booze and company though, and only a few blocks from my home.

Also, only a few blocks from my home is a Co-op (a Ukrainian Co-op) Ukrainian Co-op (external - login to view)
with absolutely fantastic Bratwurst and Kubasa, made on site, and smoked (the Kubasa and
smoked sausages) in a smokehouse right behind the store. Fantastic!!!! This is also only a
few blocks from my home.

Also only a few blocks from my home is a terriffic Sushi resteraunt, right across from a
Japanese Steak House. Cheerios, maybe you just live in the wrong place.....as everything
I've listed above is within a two block radius of my house.

If I expanded that to a three block radius, I could include a pizza joint, and an ethnic Belizian
Resteraunt, and I believe Thia Food joint across the street from that, and a Breakfast place.

I guess it helps that I live in the cultural Mecca of Regina, Saskatchewan though....

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by LaoWaiView Post

Whenever someone asks me in China to help them fill outa form for a Canadian Visa or Immigration related document, I tell them to stay in China.

Well educated Chinese people still believe Canada is a land of opportunity, where all people are treated equally. I quickly disabuse them of those notions.

I point out, despite what propaganda is promulgated about Canada by the Government, the country is a cesspool for most working people, especially new immigrants.

The questions I ask potential immigrants to Canada usually stops them in their tracks: "Why would you leave your privleged position (engineer, economist, lawyer, businessman, whatever) in China where the economy is booming to go to a country where the economy is stagnant, you will be on the bottom rung doing crappy jobs working longer and harder to not even come close to achieving the middle-class lifestyle you currently have here? Are you ready for the daily racism of those polite Canadians who deny posessing any animosity towards any ethnic group, but in reality when they are at home curse all those Chinese and other foreign parasite for destroying the country?

Holy Smoke..... sure sounds like someone who knows all about spouting the party line - the communist party line that is.

Why would someone want to come to a country where they have the right to speak their mind, to chose where they wish to work and live, and where they will have the same chance as everyone else here to live in freedom.

Daily racism eh! Would truly like to know who is doing all this cursing of Chinese people and where did you get the idea that anyone here thinks they are destroying our country?????