Cost of living and salary

barbara30

Mar 26, 2010
Hi everyone

I'd really appreciate it if you could advise if 90.000 a year after tax is a decent salary in Montreal? We will have a small mortgage, have no kids.

grateful any insight you guys to provide

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hi everyone

I'd really appreciate it if you could advise if 90.000 a year after tax is a decent salary in Montreal? We will have a small mortgage, have no kids.

Decent??????????? try luxurious.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Hi everyone

The big problem in big cities is housing, it can be very expensive (I don't know about Montreal). If you say you have only a small mortgage, there should be no problem. I would say anywhere in Canada it would be a very good income, provided there is only a small mortgage.

But try not to spend it all. With that kind of income, sensible spending and smart investing, you have a potential to really build substantial wealth for yourself for the future. You may wish to consult books like The Wealthy Barber or The Millionaire Next Door.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Hi everyone

The cost of living in Montreal isn't high compared to other big cities such as Toronto. I'm sure you will be more than fine...

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I have no idea what living in Montreal is like, so all I can say is, I don't know if 90K is good, bad, or in between.
My advice is to listen to s_lone. He/she lives there. :)

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
Hi everyone

$90,000.00 AFTER tax is a better than decent salary anywhere in Canada.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Hi everyone

even after quebec provincial taxes? 8O

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
$90,000.00 AFTER tax is a better than decent salary anywhere in Canada.
Exactly... If it isn't at least decent to take home $90,000 after taxes, then I'm in huge trouble! 8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I guess this isn't the place to preach, but questions like that about $90,000 income does naturally get one to wondering. Is it an exorbitant life style or is there a lot of waste? More important than the amount of your income is how you spend it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just because someone earns well doesn't mean they are squandering it away

Absolutely not, when I was earning relatively big money, after the essentials were paid for, I invested half the difference and squandered half the difference. (In those days squandering meant BEER) :lol::lol::lol::lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
90,000/yr..... you dont have to be a rocket scientist to know thats alot of coin

Yeah, to the way we were brought up, but the young kids to day think nothing of spending $60 grand on a vehicle (and the way most of them drive they must need quite a few grand just for insurance) A lot of them think nothing of spending $100 in a restaurant just for supper (that includes a few bubblies) :lol::lol::lol::lol: