Saskatchewan Seems To Have Turned The Corner...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Throne speech reveals remaining Saskatchewan government priorities

Angela Hall , Leader-Post

Published: Wednesday, October 22, 2008
REGINA -- A day after unveiling major tax initiatives, Premier Brad Wall's throne speech pledged to spread Saskatchewan's wealth a little further with help for low-income seniors and people with disabilities.

"We still have reason to be optimistic in the midst of market turmoil because of the very likely chance that we have for continued growth and momentum in our economy," Wall told reporters prior Lt.-Gov. Gordon Barnhart's delivery of the speech in the legislature.

"But it's also the understanding of this government that the resources that drive that growth don't belong to the government. They belong to the people of Saskatchewan and so people of Saskatchewan should be sharing in the benefits of the development of that resource."

A main component of the throne speech was the financial package the government had announced a day earlier, which included income tax reductions, richer low-income tax benefits, a debt paydown, a promise to spend more on infrastructure next year, plus nearly $2 billion left in the government's reserves.

The speech today also pledged to hike the benefit to seniors under the Saskatchewan Income Assistance program for the first time since 1992.

Low income seniors looking to make their homes safer will also be able to a get free home audit, and basic security devices such as deadbolts and window latches installed.

Wall said people with physical and intellectual disabilities meanwhile face an wait lists for support or housing programs that are too long.

"A wait list for these programs has grown to include over four hundred women and men," said the speech delivered by Barnhart.

"During this session, my government will announce a plan to address this wait list and ensure persons with disabilities receive the support they need."

The government said it will also provide in its next budget "equitable income support" for those with disabilities, as well has change the amount people can earn on social assistance before their support payments are reduced.

A large portion of the throne speech focussed on a commitment to crack down on crime stemming from gang activity.

Wall said the government will introduce a new Witness Protection Act that will help protect potential witnesses from threats of violence and intimidation. The premier said it will "complement" what the federal government has in place.

A new revenue-sharing formula to help municipalities meet the challenges of growth is expected to be in the 2009 budget, the speech indicated. However, the long-term solution to the education property tax issue may not be as near. Wall said the government would like to make the permanent changes sooner than the end of its four-year mandate, as was originally promised, but will be "cautious and prudent."

The speech also revealed the government's plans to introduce a "Saskatchewan first" policy that directs Crown corporations to focus on in-province investments, table legislation to pave the way for Senate elections and create a new agency called Innovation Saskatchewan to support research activities in the province.

NDP Leader Lorne Calvert said he couldn't argue with some components of the throne speech, saying the steps the government took in its financial package Tuesday could have been instituted by his own party.

But Calvert said the premier is basing the premise of the throne speech on the notion that "next year country" has arrived in Saskatchewan, while many families in the province are still waiting.

Some changes should be made today to help them, Calvert said.

"My criticism is not so much in terms of the substance of some of the directions in the throne speech, it is some of the timing," Calvert said.

"The price of energy is going up now. The price of rents are going up now. They don't wait for next year," he said.

"My question is why not move quicker, with greater determination, and now."

Calvert also questioned the premier's promise of a "Saskatchewan first" investment policy for the Crowns, saying that was in place under his previous NDP government. Some of the out-of-province investments that were made also proved lucrative for Crowns, Calvert said.

Other initiatives outlined in the throne speech include:

- the introduction of an "Arts Professions Act" to increase protection for artists and their intellectual property;

- improvements to the Graduate Retention Program, which currently provides a tuition rebate spread over seven years for graduates of post-secondary institutions who remain in the province; and,

- a scholarship program designed for immediate family of fallen soldiers.

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=6d2967ce-a657-4689-9479-f94c7eae54e4

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Highlights of Tuesday's fiscal initiatives

The Leader-Post

Published: Wednesday, October 22, 2008

- The province will offer the highest family-based tax exemptions in Canada, leading to $1,320 in tax savings per year for a family of four.

- The basic personal exemption and the spousal exemption, both currently $8,945, will each increase by $4,000.

- The child tax credit of $2,795 will go up another $2,000.

- There will be up to $440 in tax cuts for single taxpayers.

- Under the plan, a family can now earn up to $41,300 before they start to pay any provincial income tax. "That's the highest level of any province and it's one more reason Saskatchewan is the best place in Canada to earn a living and build a life," Premier Brad Wall said.

- An estimated 80,000 residents will no longer pay provincial income tax.

- Under the Saskatchewan Low Income Tax Credit, a single individual will receive $216, up from $108. A family with two children will get $600, up from $378.

- The provincial debt is to be reduced by an additional $500 million to $4.2 billion, its lowest level since 1988.

- The province is to retain $1.9 billion in the financial security fund.

- The provincial government is committed to a 50-per-cent increase to infrastructure funding in the 2009-10 budget.

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=4d7413bd-d926-467c-998e-008b63ae4777

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is the first time in my adult life that a Politician has made me look forward to filing my taxes, and
this is only October!!! I know I'm not getting some kind of gift, and only getting to keep more of my
own money, but I'm (and everyone else here in Saskatchewan is) getting to keep more of my (our) own
money!!!

I believe when the Sask.Party came into power, the province had a bit under 7 billion dollars
in debt. In only half of their first term in office, the provincial debt will have been reduced by 38%.
Now much of that is due to resource prices spiking this year, but still.....Wow!!!

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
OK....I thought someone would jump in here (positively or negatively) in some rant
about Saskatchewan. I'm pretty happy about how things have progressed out here
in the last couple of years and was ready to defend (while creating an awareness)
my elation. Oh well....I'm going to go walk my dogs...

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Ron, I love Saskatchewan and I am happy that it looks like the province is doing well, no negative rant from me!

Lester

Council Member
Sep 28, 2007
Ardrossan, Alberta
You know Ron, you guys are starting to make Alberta look bad, (I've been thinking of pulling the plug here and moving to Melfort). My neice is a nurse and had the forsight to move there 3 years ago. The house she bought has doubled in price since then.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
You know Ron, you guys are starting to make Alberta look bad, (I've been thinking of pulling the plug here and moving to Melfort). My neice is a nurse and had the forsight to move there 3 years ago. The house she bought has doubled in price since then.

I personally believe that Saskatchewan is one of the most underrated provinces out there, and most
people stereotype it based on a mindset outdated by a generation, or several generations. I just felt
it was time to create an awareness that things have changed, and are still changing.

"Are there still people in Saskatchewan?" You bet there are!!! The attitude feels good out here instead
of the 'waiting for the other shoe to drop' mentality of tougher times for generations. It's a good thing.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
I personally believe that Saskatchewan is one of the most underrated provinces out there, and most
people stereotype it based on a mindset outdated by a generation, or several generations. I just felt
it was time to create an awareness that things have changed, and are still changing.

"Are there still people in Saskatchewan?" You bet there are!!! The attitude feels good out here instead
of the 'waiting for the other shoe to drop' mentality of tougher times for generations. It's a good thing.

I say good for you and your province.
Others should be making use of your example.

regs,
scratch

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
How to say 'I love you' in 9 languages.

English
I Love You

Spanish
Te Amo

French
Je T'aime

German
lch Liebe Dich

Japanese
Ai ****e Imasu

Italian
Ti Amo

Chinese
Wo Ai Ni

Swedish
Jag Alskar

Saskatchewan
Nice Ass, Get in the truck

:lol::lol::lol:;-)

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
how to say 'i love you' in 9 languages.

english
i love you

spanish
te amo

french
je t'aime

german
lch liebe dich

japanese
ai ****e imasu

italian
ti amo

chinese
wo ai ni

swedish
jag alskar

saskatchewan
nice ass, get in the truck

:lol::lol::lol:;-)

8o8o:?::?:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Source: Don't cut payments, Wall says

<H2>Don't cut payments, Wall says

James Wood, Saskatchewan News Network; Canwest News Service

Published: Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Premier Brad Wall will be offering support but also a warning to Stephen Harper at the Nov. 10 First Ministers conference called by the prime minister on Tuesday.

Wall said the provinces are behind federal efforts to strengthen Canada's financial system and economy in light of the economic turmoil currently facing the world.

But as the Conservative government contemplates budget cuts or a potential deficit, the premier said it must avoid chopping transfer payments to the provinces.

"I think we've seen the folly of federal budgets being balanced on the backs of provincial transfer payments in the past when it happened in the 1990s, because eventually those things, there had to be redress, the federal government had to fix those imbalances," Wall told reporters at the provincial legislature.

Wall said there are areas of federal-provincial duplication of services where the federal government could cut instead, such as "environmental processes." He said there could still be "very onerous" environmental regulations with less bureaucracy.

This will be the first formal First Ministers conference held by Harper, who won another minority government in the Oct. 15 federal election.

Wall is seen as having a particularly close relationship to Harper, while other premiers, such as Newfoundland and Labrador's Danny Williams have relationships with the PM that could only be charitably called frosty.

Wall warns against any federal policies that favour one region over another in response to the economic crisis but said provinces are stressing unity.

Wall said this meeting is not the appropriate venue to raise the province's concerns with the Conservative call to ban the export of raw bitumen to countries that have worse greenhouse gas emission standards than Canada.

</H2>

I wonder how Steven Harper will spank Danny Williams over this next term without punishing
the people of Newfoundland for this "ABC" thing...Everyone has to know it's coming, but how it
will reveal itself is the interesting question. Any guesses???

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
Northern Saskatchewan has to be one of the nicest places I have been, completley unspoiled and the best fishing in Canada, alot of people are moving back, guys that are working in Fort Mac are moving to Saskatoon because they have a direct flight, 4hrs to Edmonton 1hr to Saskatoon.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wonder how Steven Harper will spank Danny Williams over this next term without punishing
the people of Newfoundland for this "ABC" thing...Everyone has to know it's coming, but how it

The news story two posts up sparked this question for me. Perhaps I need to post the
question in a different thread. I thought it would fit here due to the contrast between the
Premieres of Newfoundland and Saskatchewan in how they dealt with the Equalization
thing (both got scr*wed over but one cried and one went to work). This was from the
promises make by the Conservatives not in the Federal Election a couple of weeks ago,
but in the one before that.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

The news story two posts up sparked this question for me. Perhaps I need to post the
question in a different thread. I thought it would fit here due to the contrast between the
Premieres of Newfoundland and Saskatchewan in how they dealt with the Equalization
thing (both got scr*wed over but one cried and one went to work). This was from the
promises make by the Conservatives not in the Federal Election a couple of weeks ago,
but in the one before that.

This Thread: http://forums.canadiancontent.net/maritimes/78674-how-will-stephen-harper-spank.html was started to deal with the above question.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Saskatchewan's future rosy

Saskatchewan's future rosy

Bruce Johnstone, The Leader-Post

Published: Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Saskatchewan will avoid a recession or serious economic downturn, thanks to its diversified, resource-based economy that should weather the economic storm better than most, says Scotiabank's chief economist.

"Saskatchewan is in the sweet spot because not only have the demographics turned favourable ... but the balance in what's produced here is pretty good too,'' said Warren Jestin in an interview Monday.

"You don't have everything in the oil basket. You've got oil, natural gas, uranium, potash.''

Scotiabank's latest provincial forecast, released Friday, shows Saskatchewan leading the pack in 2008 and 2009, with projected economic growth of 2.4 per cent and 1.3 per cent respectively.

That compares to a national economic growth forecast of 0.5 per cent in 2008 and negative 0.2 per cent in 2009.

Scotiabank is just the latest chartered bank to predict that Saskatchewan will lead the nation in economic growth this year and next. RBC Financial Group recently forecast the province would post 3.9 per cent growth this year and 3.5 per cent next.

Jestin is confident Saskatchewan will escape the current economic maelstrom for two reasons. The first is a growing population due to in-migration from other provinces, reversing a 20-year pattern of net out-migration.

That, in turn, will boost job growth by 1.7 per cent in 2008 and 0.6 per cent in 2009, well above the national average job growth of 1.5 per cent this year negative 0.3 per cent next year.

The second reason is Saskatchewan's diversified economy, which draws strength from energy resources, as well as agricultural commodities.

While commodity prices have fallen from the heady heights attained in the first half of 2008, they are by no means at rock bottom levels, Jestin said.

Take, for example, oil prices, which have fallen below $70 US a barrel in recent weeks. Jestin said that price would have seemed attractive to producers 18 to 24 months ago.

Besides, any kind of positive growth is good at a time when the world is facing "a global economic outlook that is very challenging,'' Jestin said.

"In a period of economic decline in Canada, as whole, having positive growth is really good news,'' Jestin said.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting Story....
Source: StarTek closing, 266 jobs lost

StarTek has fallen victim to Saskatchewan's competitive labour market, resulting in the closure of its Regina call centre.

When it closes its doors on March 2, StarTek's local centre will leave 266 people unemployed. At one time, the call centre -- based out of the third floor of the former Eaton's store in the Cornwall Centre -- employed more than 900 people.
"The reason we are closing the site really has more to do with the fact that I can't hire to the capacity that I need for this site. That's the biggest, biggest thing," said Wendy Hofford, site director for the Regina centre.

Hofford told employees about the closure on Monday.
"(The employees) have seen it for a while in the fact that there is declining people in our site. They were fully aware. I think to actually hear it was more realistic. There was mixed emotions."

Hofford said hiring to the necessary levels has been a challenge for the Regina location for a while. With a starting wage of $10 per hour, many employees were leaving for higher-paying jobs.

"It is tough to be competitive in the market," Hofford admitted.
The Denver-based StarTek opened the call centre in Regina in July 2003, which was its first Western Canadian operation. To entice the company to the Queen City, the provincial government provided more than $1.75 million for job training while the City of Regina offered a $1.5 million, five-year property tax abatement.
The company's Regina location isn't its first call centre to close due to hiring difficulties. Last week, StarTek announced the closure of a call centre in Petersburg, Va., also due to recruiting challenges.

"In the past couple of months, we've opened some centres and we've closed some centres," StarTek spokeswoman Susan Liehe said in a phone interview from Denver. "It isn't that we're seeing some sort of downward trend, we're actually next week opening a new location in Arkansas. It is kind of ironic the overall goal of the company is to grow but this particular site in Regina, particularly with recruitment challenges, is closing."

Some of the volume from the Regina centre will be picked up by other centres in Canada, Liehe said.

John Hopkins, CEO of the Regina and District Chamber of Commerce, admitted that StarTek's closure is the biggest casualty of the tight labour force.
"I haven't heard of anything as large as this in terms of not being able to fill positions that result in a closure. This is a pretty big hit and it's a wakeup call for all of us that we need to work even harder at addressing this issue that doesn't have any easy solutions," said Hopkins.

The local centre is looking to partner with other community employers and possibly do a job fair to help the StarTek employees find other work, Hofford said, adding workers will also receive training for putting together resumes and applying for jobs online. Employees have also been encouraged to apply for jobs at StarTek's other call centre locations in Canada and the U.S.

With other large call centres including Staples, Sears and CIBC also located in Regina, Hopkins noted that StarTek's closure may also indicate an oversaturation of these types of businesses in the city.

However, while the competitive labour market may have proved fatal for StarTek's Regina centre, it will also provide plenty of opportunities for the company's employees.

"If you're going to be on the unemployment line in any province in Canada, this is probably the best one to be in right now," Hopkins said.
© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

Related Story: GMANews.TV - StarTek to hire 1,000 workers for its Makati facility - Business - Official Website of GMA News and Public Affairs - Latest Philippine News - BETA