A difference between learning ang knowing.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

What do we mean by learning? Is there learning when you are merely accumulating knowledge, gathering information? That is one kind of learning, is it not? As a student of engineering, you study mathematics, and so on; you are learning, informing yourself about the subject. You are accumulating knowledge in order to use that knowledge in practical ways. Your learning is accumulative, additive. Now, when the mind is merely taking on, adding, acquiring, is it learning? Or is learning something entirely different? I say the additive process which we now call learning is not learning at all. It is merely a cultivation of memory, which becomes mechanical; and a mind which functions mechanically, like a machine, is not capable of learning. A machine is never capable of learning, except in the additive sense. Learning is something quite different, I'll try to show you. A mind that is learning never says, "I know", because knowledge is always partial, whereas learning is complete all the time. Learning does not mean starting with a certain amount of knowledge, and adding to it further knowledge. That is not learning at all; it is a purely mechanistic process. To me, learning is something entirely different. I am learning about myself from moment to moment, and the myself is extraordinarily vital; it is living, moving; it has no beginning and no end. When I say, I know myself, learning has come to an end in accumulated knowledge. Learning is never cumulative; it is a movement of knowing which has no beginning and no end.
Do you know yourself ?

Reactions: gopher

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
During my PhD I learned how to learn. It's the single most important thing I learned. And you can't "learn" it by accumulating facts. You learn it through accumulation of experience. I suppose the facts are there but they're not facts one can easily write down ina text book... you need more intuition than hard facts.

maybe that's it: the most important facts aren't cold hard things which can be written down in textbooks but things we have to discover for ourselves in experience.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Indeed , learning is not a mere cultivation of memory or the accumulation of knowledge, but the capacity to think clearly and sanely without illusion, to start from facts and not from beliefs and ideals. There is no learning if thought originates from conclusions. Merely to acquire information or knowledge is not to learn. Learning implies the love of understanding and the love of doing a thing for itself. Learning is possible only when there is no coercion of any kind. And coercion takes many forms, does it not? There is coercion through influence, through attachment or threat, through persuasive encouragement or subtle forms of reward. Most people think that learning is encouraged through comparison, whereas the contrary is the fact. Comparison brings about frustration and merely encourages envy, which we call competition. Like other forms of persuasion, comparison prevents learning and breeds fear. Ambition also breeds fear. Ambition, whether personal or identified with the collective, is always antisocial. So-called noble ambition in relationship is fundamentally destructive.

Your thoughts.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Knowing is such sweet bliss. The certainty of the absolute. Learning is fun and sometimes hard work but how many of those who learn ever come to the awareness that knowledge is power- and then wield it?

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Apples there are aplenty for those wise enough to pick them.
But those who know know. They don't need a bucket to drink from. A single glass will do. They're unstintingly clear in what they have to say. And say it quickly.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
Apples there are aplenty for those wise enough to pick them.
But those who know know. They don't need a bucket to drink from. A single glass will do. They're unstintingly clear in what they have to say. And say it quickly.

We all eat of the "apple tree", and that's how we learn, or should I say, hope to learn.

But first, we must eat of it, and then by experience and heavenly instructions, we may learn to choose what is the right thing to do.

That was the plan from the start.

Peace>>>AJ:love9:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
We all eat of the "apple tree", and that's how we learn, or should I say, hope to learn.

But first, we must eat of it, and then by experience and heavenly instructions, we may learn to choose what is the right thing to do.

That was the plan from the start.

I've never experienced any heavenly instruction in the lab. Is it possible to have these instructions without knowing about it? Or is it possible to learn without instruction?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
As Alfred North Whitehead said in 1929 -- colleges do a great job of teaching book knowledge. But they fail to impart wisdom as they did many years before. This is what we need today.

Reactions: Curiosity

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
I've never experienced any heavenly instruction in the lab. Is it possible to have these instructions without knowing about it? Or is it possible to learn without instruction?

Just imagine, the complexity of the micro world, let alone the universe yet to be discovered. That in itself should make us be in awe of how beautiful everything works.

Learnings are cumulative. If in the lab, you've learned from present instructions passed down from our fore fathers.

God in due time reveals to mankind knowledge in bits and peaces, as mankind experiences those revelations as discoveries.

But, eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, is unavoidable. To what degree we eat, is given as a gift. How we use the gift is another matter. (For good or for evil)

Heavenly instructions are meted out by the Holy Spirit.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
do you think colleges/universities ever gave wisdom? can you give wisdom? or is it something you can only really learn for yourself?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Just imagine, the complexity of the micro world, let alone the universe yet to be discovered. That in itself should make us be in awe of how beautiful everything works.

Learnings are cumulative. If in the lab, you've learned from present instructions passed down from our fore fathers.

God in due time reveals to mankind knowledge in bits and peaces, as mankind experiences those revelations as discoveries.

But, eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, is unavoidable. To what degree we eat, is given as a gift. How we use the gift is another matter. (For good or for evil)

Heavenly instructions are meted out by the Holy Spirit.

I dont mean to be offensive AJ, but could you cut down on the platitudes and up the quantity of answers?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
do you think colleges/universities ever gave wisdom? can you give wisdom? or is it something you can only really learn for yourself?

I am a big believer in the back-to-basic approach that high schools and colleges used many years ago: this encompassed the teaching of Latin, Greek, Hebrew, philosophy, logic, oratory, law, and other courses that taught students how to think critically and analytically. Most youths who graduated from college could act as legal counselors in a court room back then. Indeed, the notion that only a lawyer should qualify to serve as a magistrate is a very new phenomenon as non-lawyers often served as judges in local or county courts.

Here in the States, most of our Founders never saw the inside of a college. Yet, consider the great wisdom that they taught in their enactments and in the Constitution. True, they had their faults and there were oversights in their legal writings. But the omissions were thought to be correctible in time.

I remain convinced that using classical textbooks such as those used by our Founders can supplement modern works and assist in imparting wisdom. Heaven knows we need more of that today!

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
I dont mean to be offensive AJ, but could you cut down on the platitudes and up the quantity of answers?

Quite all right. I am no english major by far, so I had to look up that word platitude.

Well, quite frankly, I know to give answers in picture stories, similitudes.

I am sorry that it's not what some like to hear, but all one has to do is skip over my posts.

I bear in mind that the addressee is not the only one reading my posts, so I use it as a vehicle to communicate to the others who do.

Imparting wisdom? Something learned that has proven to be good?

My thoughts.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
what i meant was that your post was very religious and pious and probably contained some wise words but didnt answer the questions I asked.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
what i meant was that your post was very religious and pious and probably contained some wise words but didnt answer the questions I asked.

Oh! Don't mind me! I am passionate towards the creator and am sometimes so heavenly that I am no earthly good.
As you pointed out.

Cheers>>>AJ:love9:

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I didnt mean to be rude but sometimes your words frustrate me because they assume that we all believe the same things that you do, and very rarely cover the basics or answer our questions.

look3467

Council Member
Dec 13, 2006
Northern California
I didnt mean to be rude but sometimes your words frustrate me because they assume that we all believe the same things that you do, and very rarely cover the basics or answer our questions.

I thought since this post comes under spirituality and philosophy, I felt comfortable in joining in with my spiritual incites.

I don't mean to offend, as it is not in my nature, but I guess I do.

I guess that's all I can say.

I'll move on to the next topic.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i wouldnt say you offend. I just find it hard to ask a question and not have it answered. seriously I dont think badly of you, you seem warm and accepting and tolerant