Ontario getting new rules for used cars

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Not looking good for those who like to buy and drive any of the older cars on the road. Basically this new MVIC Standards is going to have such stringent outlines the cars will have to be in near new condition to meet these new requirements!

And how much is a garage going to charge for such an intensive inspection?

And they will make some serious tax money off of people having to waste money on newer vehicles and putting people in debt to buy higher priced used or new vehicles if they don't have the cash.

Because I drove so much for my work I always bought used and paid cash. Why buy new and rack up the mileage was which caused the car to depreciate way faster than it should.

I'm glad those high mileage days are behind me and the cars we have, all bought used, are indeed in 'like new' condition and should outlast me.......

Selling used cars to get a lot tougher with new inspection standards

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Auto dealership are giving away bank loans with zero Interest, if you can't afford a new car these days... well...

I'm looking at buying a new Hyundai Santa Fe.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Good.

It's unsafe when so many people are resorting to getting a cheap car from some sheister only to have it break down a bunch of times and the cost of repairs outweighs the price of a new vehicle.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's what happens when your pedigree doesn't include good analytical, negotiating and mechanical skills.

Some of us know how make cars pay for themselves.

Sucks to be you and need the govt to hold your hand for something as simple as getting your moneys worth out of a vehicle purchase.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Sounds to me like this proposed legislation is designed to force more folks into buying new cars in addition to replacing those vehicles more often... Looks like Ontario will be needing a pail-full of new(er) cars to sell.

... Say, anyone know where they mfg autos in Canada?.. Be a real boon for that sector

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sounds to me like this proposed legislation is designed to force more folks into buying new cars in addition to replacing those vehicles more often... Looks like Ontario will be needing a pail-full of new(er) cars to sell.

... Say, anyone know where they mfg autos in Canada?.. Be a real boon for that sector
You gotta love forced corporate welfare, especially when the SJW's are supporting it because they're too stupid to see it for what it is, lol.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Good.

It's unsafe when so many people are resorting to getting a cheap car from some sheister only to have it break down a bunch of times and the cost of repairs outweighs the price of a new vehicle.

We have three vehicle. One is a 78 GMC pickup we use for hauling shyte around. Thanks for letting me know what a death trap and money pit it is.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
You gotta love forced corporate welfare, especially when the SJW's are supporting it because they're too stupid to see it for what it is, lol.

C'mon now... We all know that this is about global warming and protecting Mother Gaia.

On a related note, I bought a snow blower a couple years back... Gonna be removing 4 or 5 inches of global warming from my driveway later this morning.... I just hope that my snow blower isn't too old now and environmentally unsafe. Maybe some legislation that forces people like me to get a new one that is more eco-friendly is in order

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
C'mon now... We all know that this is about global warming and protecting Mother Gaia.

On a related note, I bought a snow blower a couple years back... Gonna be removing 4 or 5 inches of global warming from my driveway later this morning.... I just hope that my snow blower isn't too old now and environmentally unsafe. Maybe some legislation that forces people like me to get a new one that is more eco-friendly is in order
You should be buying a new one every year.

We all know scrap yards need the business and how environmentally friendly they are.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Good.

Yes, but what about those newly unemployed folks from Alberta moving to Ontario now for work, with vehicles they may have owned for several years. There are a lot of shysters who own shops these folks will have to go to for their inspections. How to stick it to the little guy eh?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes, but what about those newly unemployed folks from Alberta moving to Ontario now for work, with vehicles they may have owned for several years. There are a lot of shysters who own shops these folks will have to go to for their inspections. How to stick it to the little guy eh?
Albertans suffering? You just made Flossy's day.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
That doesn't matter to Flossy. If they worked in Berta and are suffering now, it's all good to him.

I wish I had have bought a bunch of bumper stickers I saw back in the '80s, "Please let there be another oil boom, I promise not to pi$$ all away this time". I think there will be a re-launch, I'll send him one.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I wish I had have bought a bunch of bumper stickers I saw back in the '80s, "Please let there be another oil boom, I promise not to pi$$ all away this time". I think there will be a re-launch, I'll send him one.

Politicians should have taken a page out of the Norwegian Gov't's handbook.. they saved their oil profits, started a hydrogen highway, banned gasoline cars, and so on.

Above hydrogen fuel stations across Europe and the USA.. Canada sadly has a total of 8 hydrogen fuel stops.

I stated it before and purchased stock in hydrogen car and tech companies. It's the way off the future, hydrogen cars have the distance and power of conventional cars.

I know many are afraid of change, moving forward.. but change is already here and in 10 years gasoline cars will be antiques.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
In my life I have owned two brand new vehicles. The first I bought in 1990, a cavalier 724 which put me off brand new cars for over 20 years. I was 25 when I bought it and learned a hard lesson about devaluation.

The second was a Chevy Cruz, which I bought for my wife while I was away from Ontario destroying the planet and killing little children by hauling fuel which came from dirty tar sand oil that pretty much propped up ungrateful Ontario through a tough recession. I bought the second car brand new because I wanted the warranty and recovery bells and whistles for my wife in my absence. It has been a good little car, no major problems.

When we packed up last year and moved out here, intent on destroying the planet from a static location, I bought myself a 2006 Dodge Ram 4X4 which I paid cash for. It's nothing special, doesn't even have power windows, but mechanically its sound and gets me to and from my work.

Work has slowed down here in Alberta, but I'll keep working with my fellow man to kill the planet. I sure am fueling it a lot cheaper, paid 65 cents a liter at Costco the other day. The lineups to buy this cheap fuel are unbelievable, but the oil companies are still making money and the government is getting increased taxes.

So the war on Mother earth continues.

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Work has slowed down here in Alberta, but I'll keep working with my fellow man to kill the planet. I sure am fueling it a lot cheaper, paid 65 cents a liter at Costco the other day. The lineups to buy this cheap fuel are unbelievable, but the oil companies are still making money and the government is getting increased taxes.

So the war on Mother earth continues.

You still employed?? If not send me a PM I'll help you get back to work starting around the 15th.

Truck driving job.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
...and that car has to go through an Ontario safety check if you're intending to stay here ...and you'll pay sales tax on their guestimated value on that paid-off car. They tend to frown on resident Alberta plated in this province

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
...and that car has to go through an Ontario safety check if you're intending to stay here ...and you'll pay sales tax on their guestimated value on that paid-off car. They tend to frown on resident Alberta plated in this province

You don't have to pay a Ontario sales tax transferring a car you already own.. I just did it with an Alberta car to Ontario..

Did my Drive Clean Test Safety and transferred the car all less than $250.