The Oilers will win the Stanley Cup!

GrizzlyBear

Sep 6, 2009
Toronto
I believe those were my exact words in April 1990, when the Oil narrowly escaped being put out in the opening round of the playoffs by the lowly Winnipeg Jets.

Go Ranford Go!

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Lowly?

If the Jets had got through that series, they probably would have won the cup. The refs gave the series to the Oilers by BTW.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Oilers won their first Cup in 1984 and two years before that they were on top of their division then they lost the quarter finals

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I suppose you think the cannucks are gonna win?

Good gawd, I hope nobody is that silly. Bringing in Mathieu Schneider is clear evidence of just how desperate they are. When the Sedin sisters are your core...well...what more can you say?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
you can say, wishful thinking from everybody else. Mathew Schneider is brought
in for special teams only, he can do well there, they don't need him for 80 games,
they are deep in good defense. The price was right, only for one year, that's the way
Gillis wants things to be, he won't sign anyone to long term big contracts, with the
exception of the twins and luongo, that's it. I like his style, and he's not finished yet, as
he is over the cap, so there is more to come.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
you can say, wishful thinking from everybody else. Mathew Schneider is brought
in for special teams only, he can do well there, they don't need him for 80 games,
they are deep in good defense. The price was right, only for one year, that's the way
Gillis wants things to be, he won't sign anyone to long term big contracts, with the
exception of the twins and luongo, that's it. I like his style, and he's not finished yet, as

The Canucks just have to score more goals, and allow fewer goals, and their problems are solved....;-):smile:

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I like his style, and he's not finished yet, as

If I owned the team, Gillis would be gone. Over the cap with only one top notch player? That's embarrassing. Most of the rest of the team couldn't make most other teams 2nd line. The Sedin girls would have a tough time making the top line on close to half the teams in the league. With that group they should have lots of cap space if they were managed effectively. They could go after Heatley which, while not guaranteeing them a shot at the conference championship, would do wonders for their prospects.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If I owned the team, Gillis would be gone. Over the cap with only one top notch player? That's embarrassing. Most of the rest of the team couldn't make most other teams 2nd line. The Sedin girls would have a tough time making the top line on close to half the teams in the league. With that group they should have lots of cap space if they were managed effectively. They could go after Heatley which, while not guaranteeing them a shot at the conference championship, would do wonders for their prospects.

It seems Cannuck that you don't know much about hockey either.... The Sedins would make any team in the league and they would be in the top line on most teams. They aren't the best in the world but they are close and they are still young...

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I listen to team 1040 a little bit each day, and it's overwhelming the amount of
callers, as well as media who have great respect for Gillis. When he was first
hired, there were so many skeptics, but not any more, we are lucky to have him,
twice as smart as Nonis, and has made some good moves, he resigned the sedins,
resigned luongo, both of them could have chosen to go anywhere else, and probably
would have made more money, so a feather in his cap for that.
I don't expect a stanley cup, I expect a competetive team, that makes the playoffs,
then see how far we can go.
All the teams are good now, so, can't expect or demand the world.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It seems Cannuck that you don't know much about hockey either.... The Sedins would make any team in the league and they would be in the top line on most teams. They aren't the best in the world but they are close and they are still young...

The Sedin girls would have a tough time making the top line on close to half the teams in the league.

Since you agree with me and I "don't know much about hockey"...

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
For the record (and I'm basing this on last year because I can't be bothered to look at the current years rosters), Henrik should be able to make the first line on 12 of the 29 other teams. Danny should be able to make the first line on 14.

Henrik would be a second line player on 12 of the teams and Dan on 11.

Henrik would play on the third line in BOS, DAL, PHI, SJS and the 4th line in PIT while Danielle would be a third line player on WSH, ATL, CAR and NJD.

I'm being more than fair to the sisters here. For example, I put Henrik ahead of Derek Roy and Paul Statsny.

Of course the big problem with the sisters is that they can't play apart. That's one of the reasons they weren't in demand and are way over paid.

Last edited:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
For the record (and I'm basing this on last year because I can't be bothered to look at the current years rosters), Henrik should be able to make the first line on 12 of the 29 other teams. Danny should be able to make the first line on 14.

Henrik would be a second line player on 12 of the teams and Dan on 11.

Henrik would play on the third line in BOS, DAL, PHI, SJS and the 4th line in PIT while Danielle would be a third line player on WSH, ATL, CAR and NJD.

I'm being more than fair to the sisters here. For example, I put Henrik ahead of Derek Roy and Paul Statsny.

Of course the big problem with the sisters is that they can't play apart. That's one of the reasons they weren't in demand and are way over paid.

The sisters thing is old and stale, they are high end players either together
or apart, they have played apart from time to time in the past, but why play
them apart, when they are so special together. They are fearless, and tough,
they take it, play the areas that are the toughest to play successfully, and
hardly ever get injured, they so durable.