Welcome to NHL Hockey!

#juan
[quote=talloola;979557]
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

The Rangers must be getting close to their salary cap after signing Naslund for big money. Would they get Sundin for less than what Vancouver offered. Gomez could help Vancouver if we can afford him and if he will come.

I assume they would get Sundin for less money, as Vancouver had to catch the attention
of him and everyone with that $10 million offer, and they did that.
With Sundin, it's only money, for Gomez it would be picking his big contract, and sending
a couple of players to New York, so the price is 'high', but worth it in my opinion, depends
what players leave Vancouver, hope it would just be a defenceman, and one forward, or
less if that is possible.

That is what I meant by "If we could afford him". We would have to give up too much. Better we build on the players we have. What the Canucks need more than anything is a couple more very good defensemen. Vancouver is not that far off being a legitimate contender. One of the problems is that management knows that they can fill the stadium whether they win or lose.

Kreskin
The league has really turned into a free agent league, especially with all the no-trade clauses. Going the youth route and picking up what ever senior f.a.s available is about that can happen, no matter how much salary cap is available.

talloola
I don't mind if Sundin comes for two years, cause that's all there is, no long term contract,
with money tied up for years, and we will do well with him, cause he is a very strong player, a leader, a captain, big and strong, a noticeable force on the ice, and in my opinion it would help all of our young players as well, and luongo's contract comes up in two years
as well, although I would think they will re-sign him, at the beginning of 'next' year. So,
when sundin is finished in two years, we can move on without him, and you never know
what will happen while he is here, could be very good.
(but I would imagine he doesn't want all the travel time with a western team, as in New York, he can sleep in his own bed, most of the season.as what they call a road trip, is
laughable.)
Last edited by talloola; Aug 29th, 2008 at 11:20 PM..

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

The league has really turned into a free agent league, especially with all the no-trade clauses. Going the youth route and picking up what ever senior f.a.s available is about that can happen, no matter how much salary cap is available.

That is true. Teams like Vancouver have to keep a salary cushion to pay their younger players more when they get so good they attract offers from other teams. God! I remember when in the NHL, it would have been considered a mortal sin to make an offer to another team's star player

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

That is true. Teams like Vancouver have to keep a salary cushion to pay their younger players more when they get so good they attract offers from other teams. God! I remember when in the NHL, it would have been considered a mortal sin to make an offer to another team's star player

You can only make them an offer, if they are 'free agents', which is after July 1, or a
team can make an offer to a player, who has 'one' year left on their contract, its called
an 'offer sheet', and that can only happen sometime during the month of july, no other
time of the year, as Keven Lowe did when he sent the offer sheet to 'Dustin Penner,
last year, as Burke hadn't signed him yet, took too much time, and left him vulnerable,
and Lowe jumped all over it, and got him, and Burke has been so mad ever since, he calls
Lowe names every chance he gets, but it was his own fault, for not having him signed
before July.

If each team takes care of their own, they can make sure no other team can offer
them anything, a good example right now is Gaborik, as he is going to start his last
season under contract, so, now Minnesota is negotiating with him, and they should get
him signed before Xmas, and if gaborik won't co operate, then they should trade
him, as it will be a sign that he is going to wait for free agency, and they will lose
him and get 'nothing' next July 1.

talloola

talloola
I know the 'above' is my favourite player of all time, and I think he is Kreskin's as well,
just thought I would bring him on here to give us all a reminder of him, and how he
thrilled us for many years.

I'm still fumbling and bumbling around here, when I got the picture, then I didn't know
how to do this message on same post.

I guess I should do the message first, before bringing the picture aboard, I'll try that next time.
Last edited by talloola; Aug 24th, 2008 at 12:59 AM..

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

Do you notice how many people are sitting down to watch him? Not many.

talloola

Do you notice how many people are sitting down to watch him? Not many.

I know, sure brings back memories, and the other guys too, cournouyer, lamaire, shutt,
beliveau,robinson, savard, henri richard,lapieriere,guy lapointe, and others.

That's when I really developed my deep true love for the game of hockey, it's not just
watching a hockey game, it's all of the history, knowing about the players, sharing
stores with others, watching stanley cup playoffs, from beginning to the end, and
seeing how passionate they all are and how much, winning that 'old' cup means to all of them, and it's kind of neat thing that, the stanley cup was given by the 'englishman,'
lord stanley.
I spent many an evening sitting in the living room with all the guys, cheering, and
whining about calls, and just have pure joy, while all of the other wives/girlfriends,
were in the kitchen, wondering about this friend of theirs, who spent all of her
time with the men, and not with them. I never did understand why we parted
company as soon as we all converged in someone's house anyway.
(yeah, well, I was with all of their men too, heh heh)

Kreskin
Naughty girl.

Hey, looking closer at that photo it looks like a photoshop. The head looks like something off of a computer generated game, he looks like he's about 22 years old, and the fans look like they were photographed in the last few years. They didn't have that board advertising in his day. Great photo though.

Kreskin
Actually the fans look computer generated. Must be one of those EA Sports games.

talloola

Naughty girl.

Hey, looking closer at that photo it looks like a photoshop. The head looks like something off of a computer generated game, he looks like he's about 22 years old, and the fans look like they were photographed in the last few years. They didn't have that board advertising in his day. Great photo though.

I wouldn't have noticed that, but I think you are correct, makes the picture look better,
and probably much sharper and clearer, than it originally was. Lots of Boston sweaters in the crowd.

shadowshiv

Actually the fans look computer generated. Must be one of those EA Sports games.

LOL! I was going to mention that, but it looks like you already beat me to the punch.

talloola
This kid used to play for the indianapolis racers, know him?
Last edited by talloola; Aug 25th, 2008 at 01:00 AM..

talloola
This coach is Emile (the cat) Francis, and, I remember watching him play goal for the old Victoria Cougars,
in the western hockey league, back in the 50's, he used to crouch like a cat in the net,
hence, Cat Fancis, he had allready played goal for the rangers, went on to coach the
rangers, and now is in management.
Last edited by talloola; Aug 25th, 2008 at 01:42 PM..

DurkaDurka

I can't wait for NHL 09 to come out for my PS3. I recently started playing 08 again, fun times!

DurkaDurka

You think? hahaha

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

You think? hahaha

They're all the same guy lol

DurkaDurka

They're all the same guy lol

Yeah, EA has been doing that for years. It would require too much of the systems resources to have 20k different fan models, each with unique animations.

I like how they have a token black dude in the crowd though, lol

Zan

LOLLLL - I had to go back and look to see if you were kidding - it took a few seconds before I found him - a "Where's Waldo" moment.

karrie

Yeah, EA has been doing that for years. It would require too much of the systems resources to have 20k different fan models, each with unique animations.

is he still a token black dude if he's one of two?

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

is he still a token black dude if he's one of two?

I'll have to contact EA about that.

I don't know if that image was photoshopped or not but that's the only character model that appears only once in that pic..... OMG Racism!

karrie
Racism?... at least the blacks got two guys in there. Where are the women? Hmmm? Apparently the NHL was down-lo date night when EA games went to collect their crowd snapshot.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Racism?... at least the blacks got two guys in there. Where are the women? Hmmm? Apparently the NHL was down-lo date night when EA games went to collect their crowd snapshot.

Good catch, Karrie. EA doesn't show a lot of love for the ladies do they?

talloola
If you are an Edmonton fan, these three young men have been exciting you, as they will
be stars on that team for years, and are extremely talanted.alented.

Kreskin
Good talent in Edmonton.

Kreskin

This kid used to play for the indianapolis racers, know him?

Gretzky. Who owned the Indianapolis Pacers?

talloola

Gretzky. Who owned the Indianapolis Pacers?

I read it last night where I got the picture, now I forget, and I also can't find
where I got the picture, somewhere on the NHL site, but I'm thinking maybe they
have changed their site to new stuff, as it is Monday.
I looked up the Indianapolis racers, but there not mentioning his name on any
of them.

Kreskin

I read it last night where I got the picture, now I forget, and I also can't find
where I got the picture, somewhere on the NHL site, but I'm thinking maybe they
have changed their site to new stuff, as it is Monday.
I looked up the Indianapolis racers, but there not mentioning his name on any
of them.

Wasn't it Nelson Skalbania?

talloola

Wasn't it Nelson Skalbania?

Yeah, that's him, and it was Peter Poklington who owned the Oilers, who bought him.