Welcome to NHL Hockey!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

Its very exciting right now watching the teams who are trying to push each other out of the playoffs.

dallas 81 - phoenix 78 - calgary 78 - l.a. 78 - colorado 76 - san jose 76 -

they are playing the best hockey, striving to be the best they can be, detroit looked quite ordinary
in l.a. tonight, lost 5-2

calgary beat san jose in overtime

dallas won over minnesota 1-0

Huge relief to see Columbus is out of contention.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Huge relief to see Columbus is out of contention.

who? lol

wulfie68
Johnny T hit the 30 goal mark tonight with 2 goals and an assist (plus a shootout marker) but the Isles still lost to Washington. Maybe one day in the not so distant future, my boys will be feared again...

Mowich
Greeted by cries of "F*&$ You, Crosby", Sid the Kid made his second debut on the ice last night against the NY Rangers who were under-whelmed by his return but lost the contest just the same. What made the win even sweeter was the fact that the Rangers allowed five goals for the first time this season. How sweet it is. The Pens are now just 4 points behind the Rangers.

Matt Cooke continues his rehabilitation scoring two goals on the night. He has amassed only 30 minutes of penalties this season - a far cry from past years.

The game also saw the return of Kris Letang who has himself being suffering from a concussion.

All in all, it was a grand night for Pittsburgh who have now won 10 straight games.

GO, PENS, GO!

Feschuk: Sidney Crosby returns to NHL after 100-day concussion setback - thestar.com

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

Greeted by cries of "F*&$ You, Crosby", Sid the Kid made his second debut on the ice last night against the NY Rangers who were under-whelmed by his return but lost the contest just the same. What made the win even sweeter was the fact that the Rangers allowed five goals for the first time this season. How sweet it is. The Pens are now just 4 points behind the Rangers.

Matt Cooke continues his rehabilitation scoring two goals on the night. He has amassed only 30 minutes of penalties this season - a far cry from past years.

The game also saw the return of Kris Letang who has himself being suffering from a concussion.

All in all, it was a grand night for Pittsburgh who have now won 10 straight games.

GO, PENS, GO!

Feschuk: Sidney Crosby returns to NHL after 100-day concussion setback - thestar.com

Yes, pittsburg has been playing topnotch hockey for a while now, and with crosby and letang back they
should be even stronger.

Glad to see crosby back, but i'm not too impressed with the strategy that is so visible, as it seems he
could have played a month or more ago, but they strategically waited till there is just enough games
left in the season to get him into playoff shape, he is very fresh and won't have any of the fatigue
that many players suffer from who have played all season, then the gruelling trip thru the playoffs.
Letang is extremely important to the pens, top D man, very important to the team.

Jonathan Toews is still suffering from concussion, and apparantly has had a setback, which will keep
him out of the lineup even longer, but the team is starting to play better, and hopefully will find
a way to do well without him, not sure if he will be back for playoffs or not

Chris Pronger won't be back this season at all for the phillys, his wife reported to the team that he
is still suffering from post concussion symptoms, and not doing all that well.
He has been out almost all season.

Andy McDonald was injured 'again', shoulder injury, out indefinitely for the blues, one of their top
players, hope he can return for playoffs, they will miss him.

All of the teams still fighting for a playoff spot are all bunched up, and we won't know for a while
who is in and who is out.

I'm hoping for winnipeg to get back into the 8th spot, but right now, doesn't look good, but if they have lots of home games, it could happen.

Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

Johnny T hit the 30 goal mark tonight with 2 goals and an assist (plus a shootout marker) but the Isles still lost to Washington. Maybe one day in the not so distant future, my boys will be feared again...

He is playing so well, he has a big job on his hands trying to lead that team up the standings. I
expected them to do much better this season, but grabner didn't do nearly as well as last season, maybe
that was a one season wonder for him, but there is lots of good players on that team, so I wonder what
their problem really is.
They can look so good one day, and so pitiful the next.

who? lol

I sure hope they don't give us a reason to remember them too well, after saturday night.!!!!!!

wulfie68
[QUOTE=talloola;1561422]
I think you're wrong: you don't leave the best player in the world on the shelf, when you're in the hunt for playoff positioning. I don't think Sid would have stood for that if he was ready to go. Its working out nicely for the Pens in that he'll be a lot more fresh than pretty much everyone else but thats not been the aim and it wouldn't be for anyone.

they aren't in the hunt for a playoff spot, they have been playing top notch hockey,
and have been for a while now, they didn't need him, so didn't use him, he has sat
around watching from the press box, practicing hard, no restrictions, this is
perfect timing, he will be in top game shape going into playoffs.
If they were fighting for a playoff spot, you bet he would have been in the lineup
a while back, as soon as he was OK to play.
Last edited by talloola; Mar 16th, 2012 at 06:32 PM..

Mowich

Yes, pittsburg has been playing topnotch hockey for a while now, and with crosby and letang back they
should be even stronger.

Glad to see crosby back, but i'm not too impressed with the strategy that is so visible, as it seems he
could have played a month or more ago, but they strategically waited till there is just enough games
left in the season to get him into playoff shape, he is very fresh and won't have any of the fatigue
that many players suffer from who have played all season, then the gruelling trip thru the playoffs.
Letang is extremely important to the pens, top D man, very important to the team.

I understand how you feel, talloola.............but were I the coach and had the option of keeping one of my top players on the sidelines until things started to sort themselves out in the league, I too might keep him on the back burner.........just saying.

Quote:

Jonathan Toews is still suffering from concussion, and apparantly has had a setback, which will keep
him out of the lineup even longer, but the team is starting to play better, and hopefully will find
a way to do well without him, not sure if he will be back for playoffs or not

Chris Pronger won't be back this season at all for the phillys, his wife reported to the team that he
is still suffering from post concussion symptoms, and not doing all that well.
He has been out almost all season.

Nathan Horton, Marc Savard, Jochen Hecht, Derek McKenzie, Radek Martinek, Patrick Eaves, Matt Bradley, Simon Gagne, Jarod Palmer, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Guillame Latendresse, Scott Gomez, Michael Sauer, Jesse Winchester, Ian LaPierre, Kurt Sauer, Kris Russell, Alexander Steen, and Nicklas Backstrom also are out with concussions.

Quote:

I'm hoping for winnipeg to get back into the 8th spot, but right now, doesn't look good, but if they have lots of home games, it could happen.

Hope that their track record when playing at home helps to keep the Jets in the running for a play-off spot.

Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

I think you're wrong: you don't leave the best player in the world on the shelf, when you're in the hunt for playoff positioning. I don't think Sid would have stood for that if he was ready to go. Its working out nicely for the Pens in that he'll be a lot more fresh than pretty much everyone else but thats not been the aim and it wouldn't be for anyone.

I am sure Sid wanted to come back awhile ago, wulfie, given that he has been `healthy`for awhile now - would the coach encourage him to wait for a bit...........maybe and if so, Sid would have no choice but to do so. Strategically, it would make sense........just saying.

talloola
scott gomez is healthy and playing for montreal, i've been watching him for a long time, they have
been making fun of him because he didn't score a goal for a whole year, but he does have 2 now,
don't know
about any of the others, haven't checked them out lately, but I do know about pronger and toews.

marc sevard is going on 2 years, perhaps he has retired now, not sure.

I think lappierre has retired too,

Maybe that list is old, and needs refreshing.
Last edited by talloola; Mar 16th, 2012 at 06:33 PM..

bill barilko
Pronger is toast-too old/injury ridden to be a pro in today's league.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Pronger is toast-too old/injury ridden to be a pro in today's league.

he would have been back long ago, it is a concussion that is keeping him out of the lineup.

very exciting game tonight, winnipeg/washington, winnipeg pulled it off. 3-2

very very important game for both teams, now winnipeg are only 2 points back of washington.

washington has a big road trip that takes them back home at the end of it, for the back end of a back to back game,
and it is winnipeg they come home to, so this next couple of weeks for these two teams are crucial.

scott gomez is healthy and playing for montreal, i've been watching him for a long time, they have
been making fun of him because he didn't score a goal for a whole year, but he does have 2 now,
don't know
about any of the others, haven't checked them out lately, but I do know about pronger and toews.

don't know what happened to JLM's post about pronger, came back in here, and it is gone, 'anyway', my
reply, I'm not much of a pronger fan either, but I feel sad for chris pronger and any other player who
is out with a concussion, and is having serious post concussion symptoms, doesn't matter who it is,
they don't deserve that.
And the rumours about chris pronger, and why he left edmonton, are only rumours, no one really knows
the reason he wanted to leave.

Also, Ottawa defeated montreal tonight and took over the division lead for the north
east, went ahead of boston, so now ottawa is second in the conference, and boston
is 7th.
Last edited by talloola; Mar 16th, 2012 at 11:48 PM..

Mowich

don't know

I just checked TSN's injury list as of today and Scott Gomez still appears with concussion related problems talloola. It also states he is expected to miss the game against the Islanders????

NHL

Taylor Hall can also be added to the list.

Also, Ottawa defeated montreal tonight and took over the division lead for the north east, went ahead of boston, so now ottawa is second in the conference, and boston is 7th.

Methinks the Sens need some serious help with their PP, talloola - or maybe I should say, lack thereof - what a mess, they couldn't even score 5 on 3! They will have to do something if they want to remain top of their division as they didn't look all that great last night. Can't remember the last time game when so many penalties were handed out. The Sens could have taken the game many times over had they being able to get their act together on the PP - nothing against Carey who was pretty darn good in the net last night.

On the other-hand, Gorges was a Monster - he must be black and blue all over today after making all those stops on the puck last night.
Last edited by talloola; Mar 17th, 2012 at 02:06 PM..

talloola
[QUOTE=Mowich;1561999]I just checked TSN's injury list as of today and Scott Gomez still appears with concussion related problems talloola. It also states he is expected to miss the game against the Islanders????

NHL

OK, must have happened very recently, didn't watch last nights montreal game, just checked scores,
but he has been playing all season, and I thought you did mention him a while back, and I also
stated then that he has been playing all season, maybe there is two of them. lol

#11 I think he is, for montreal.

Just caught a glimpse of taylor hall's problem on the boards, as we were flipping
channels, mainly interested in the winnipeg game.
It seems from the quick look I had of it, that he was falling while being hit,
and his head was contacted, didn't look like the fault of the guy hitting him,
but I will have to watch it again. Don't even know if there was a penalty on
the play.

Just read an update on gomez, he had an eye injury, and has now been given the
green light to play against edmonton.
I didn't even notice him gone from the lineup recently, but did watch him i'm
sure less than a week ago.
I always notice his skating, he is a 'different' sort of skater, lots of speed,
and a different style, one can pick him out easily that way.

that article was put on their web site march 7th, just noticed that, so he must
have been playing by now, the 17th.

I give up
Last edited by talloola; Mar 17th, 2012 at 06:21 PM..

talloola
no gomez tonight, I guess he came back from the eye injury, then got injured again, those things must have
happened inbetween me watching him on and off, as I watch so many games, I catch a bit of some, watch
all of others, and none of a few.

Cannuck
+1

Jets fans Chanting quotCROSBY39S BETTERquot - YouTube

Hands down the best fans in the league.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Jets fans Chanting quotCROSBYS BETTERquot - YouTube

Hands down the best fans in the league.

We watched that game, and heard them, what a great crowd, I think ovetchkin even said he likes them too.

I noticed just now that st. louis has officialy earned a playoff spot.

JLM

I noticed just now that st. louis has officialy earned a playoff spot.

I noticed that too, but theoretically L.A., Phx. and Calgary could still beat them, so I'm a little baffled............but I guess it's greater minds than mine who have it figured out. A light just came on I guess if they were winning other contenders would be losing.

Mowich

no gomez tonight, I guess he came back from the eye injury, then got injured again, those things must have
happened inbetween me watching him on and off, as I watch so many games, I catch a bit of some, watch
all of others, and none of a few.

I give up too, talloola, the Habs website is not reporting Gomez with a concussion so the TSN data from yesterday must have been old news - sorry. Wish they would update a bit more often.

After the Sens squeaked by in their win over the Habs, they couldn't muster a win over the Leafs last night. The first goal by Connolly was a weird one, off the puck of Karlsson, tipped by Connolly and by Bishop. Phil Kessel scored the second goal - a real beaut for Phil. Dion Phaneuf scored again for T.O. on a PP to make it 3 - zip midway thru the 3rd.

Greening finally managed to get the Sens on the scoreboard with a minute 9 left on the clock - too little too late and the Sens lost a chance for two more points.

The Sens have to have the worst PP in the league - even when they get 5 on 3 chances, they can't get their collective stuff together. Reimer was beatable for a good part of the 1rst as he looked out of balance but did well for the rest of the game.

Final score: Leafs 3 - Sens 1

The Habs vs Islanders game went to a shoot-out with Bailey scoring the winning goal for the Islanders who won the game 3 - 2. It was a back and forth contest for the entire game and took 2 shoot-out contests for the win.

Standings as of March 18th 2012

EASTERN
NY Rangers - 95
Boston - 85
Florida - 83
Pittsburgh - 92
New Jersey - 87
Ottawa - 84
Washington - 78
Winnipeg - 76
Buffalo - 76
Toronto - 72
Tampa Bay - 71
Carolina - 71
NY Islanders - 69
Montreal - 69

WESTERN
St Louis - 100*
Vancouver - 94
Dallas - 83
Detroit - 92
Nashville - 90
Chicago - 86
Colorado - 83
San Jose - 82
Los Angeles - 82
Phoenix - 81
Calgary - 80
Anaheim - 71
Minnesota - 68
Edmonton - 63
Columbus - 51

* clinched play-off spot.

talloola
pittsburg lost to philly in overtime

calgary hanging on by a thread now, they lost in a shoot out to columbus
phoenix won in a shoot out, over edmonton, also hanging on

winnipeg lost to carolina, very costly loss at home for them

nashville defeated anaheim

chicago defeated washington, winnipeg will like that result

talloola
anaheim defeated san jose tonight, leaving san jose continueing to be out of the playoffs

2nd in conference, (as div. leader), dallas - 83

7th- phoenix - 83

8th- colorado- 83

9th- l.a. - 82

10th-s.jose - 82

11th-calgary - 81

talloola
dallas over phoenix 4-3 - shootout

colorado over calgary 2-1 - overtime

l.a. over san jose 5-2

7th - colorado - 85
8th - l.a. - 84
9th - phoenix - 84
10th- san jose - 82
11th- calgary - 82
Last edited by talloola; Mar 21st, 2012 at 12:41 AM..

talloola

7th - colorado - 85
8th - l.a. - 84
9th - phoenix - 84
10th- san jose - 82
11th- calgary - 82

Edmonton made nashville look very ordinary last night, even chased rinne out of the net.

Crosby had 4 assists last night as pittsburgh rolled over winnipeg.

Crosby has come back flying, nothing rusty about him, he has been ready for a long time,
didn't miss a step, playing very well, along with the rest of that 'hot' team right now, they
are ready for playoffs.

San Jose looked slow against l.a. last night, they don't seem to be in a slump, they seem to be
in a permanent struggle, not sure where they are going, but right now its the wrong way.

Calgary looked pretty good, but the numbers are against them, and with only one point last night, while
giving away two, they didn't help themselves.
Last edited by talloola; Mar 21st, 2012 at 11:57 AM..

bill barilko
The Hawks were beatable tonight and the Canucks better than they have been.

Interesting to watch the Hawk feed & the homie broadcasters-who really can be nauseating but are also @ times quite complimentary of the Canucks-terms like 'energetic' 'organised' being thrown around.

According to them the Hawks were being 'manhandled' by the Canucks-something I missed.

It's all about perspective really those announcers could easily have been Canuck homies whinging about vancouver-in the middle of a winning streak.

talloola

The Hawks were beatable tonight and the Canucks better than they have been.

Interesting to watch the Hawk feed & the homie broadcasters-who really can be nauseating but are also @ times quite complimentary of the Canucks-terms like 'energetic' 'organised' being thrown around.

According to them the Hawks were being 'manhandled' by the Canucks-something I missed.

It's all about perspective really those announcers could easily have been Canuck homies whinging about vancouver-in the middle of a winning streak.

do you mean the tsn announcers, because they aren't for either team, they are just tsn announcers.

bill barilko

do you mean the tsn announcers, because they aren't for either team, they are just tsn announcers.

I didn't watch TSN but a local Chicago station on a hacked feed-Yes I cheated.

Actually I tried to watch the TSN feed but it like a cheap video game their software sucks.

talloola

I didn't watch TSN but a local Chicago station on a hacked feed-Yes I cheated.

Actually I tried to watch the TSN feed but it like a cheap video game their software sucks.

OK, now I understand, I watched the TSN feed. I like ferraro, he is usually right on.

talloola
oh dear, the leafs are officially eliminated from the playoffs.

maybe next year.

JLM

oh dear, the leafs are officially eliminated from the playoffs.

maybe next year.

Terrible, isn't it?

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Terrible, isn't it?

well, at least they are consistent, do it every year, one can depend on it.

Cannuck
Yahoo! Canada Answers - How many stanley cups won by team?

JLM
Actually the Ottawa Senators have won 11 Stanley Cups.............................
Ottawa Senators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

well, at least they are consistent, do it every year, one can depend on it.

"There's an exception to every rule".......... Next year.