Quick NHL fact.

The NHL is a non-profit organization.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

Quick NHL fact.

??????? what has that goofy statement got to do with anything. lol

Spade
Well, this thread is on the NHL, is it not?

wulfie68
Well, Pronger is now officially out for the year with a concussion. When I heard this I thought "you live by the sword..."

bill barilko
**** Me what an *******!If this is at all true he should be made to walk-words fail me.

NHL TV analyst Mike Milbury reportedly charged with assault of child

Mike Milbury, who faces charges of assault and battery on a child, threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct, is a long-time NHL analyst for Hockey Night in Canada and NBC telecasts.

CBC hockey analyst Mike Milbury is facing charges of assault and battery of a child, a Boston police said Friday.

Milbury, 59, a former Boston Bruins player and coach, allegedly assaulted a 12-year-old hockey player at a rink in suburban Boston, the Boston Herald reported.

The incident occurred last week, while Milbury was acting as assistant coach for a youth hockey team. The alleged victim was a member of the opposing team.

Milbury faces charges of assault and battery on a child, threats to commit a crime and disorderly conduct in connection in what the Herald described as an “alleged verbal and physical attack.”

Milbury spent 12 seasons playing for the Bruins and later coached the team to the 1990 Stanley Cup final, where the Bruins lost to the Edmonton Oilers.

The paper reported that Milbury rushed onto the ice “and verbally berated and grabbed and shook the 12-year-old opposing player” who had become involved in an altercation with Milbury's son.

Milbury was a rough-and-tumble player who brings that attitude to his hockey broadcasts. He once drew ire of critics for bemoaning attempts to make the game safer for players as the “pansification” of hockey.

spaminator
i don't condone how mike milbury handled the situation, but at least he came to the defense of his son. if it had been me, my dad would have been happy to see my *** get kicked.

talloola
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

i don't condone how mike milbury handled the situation, but at least he came to the defense of his son. if it had been me, my dad would have been happy to see my *** get kicked.

as a coach on a minor team of any kind, his behavior would be an embarrassment to the particular team and
also the league overseeing that team.

these kids are 12 years old, to even suggest any kind of defense of this kind for his son, is unacceptable,
he is the adult and the guardian of these players, all of them, not just his son.
He should be taking the opposite stand in any kind of physical altercation with any of these boys, by
making sure fighting etc., is immediately stopped, and players calmed down, and dealt with by officials,
not him, he shouldn't be stepping out on the ice at any time during the game.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

as a coach on a minor team of any kind, his behavior would be an embarrassment to the particular team and
also the league overseeing that team.

these kids are 12 years old, to even suggest any kind of defense of this kind for his son, is unacceptable,
he is the adult and the guardian of these players, all of them, not just his son.
He should be taking the opposite stand in any kind of physical altercation with any of these boys, by
making sure fighting etc., is immediately stopped, and players calmed down, and dealt with by officials,
not him, he shouldn't be stepping out on the ice at any time during the game.

i agree. i wasn't suggesting that any kind of defense of this kind for his son was acceptable. sorry if my post wording confused people.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

i agree. i wasn't suggesting that any kind of defense of this kind for his son was acceptable. sorry if my post wording confused people.

OK, yes I did take your words seriously, glad you didn't mean it like it sounded.

talloola
The court did not see enough seriousness in the mike millbury situation to accept the charges laid by
police, so he has been set free, and we will never really know what actually happened out on the ice.

I know the boys mother was not there, so she would have had to lay charges based on what others as well
as her son told her, so I imagine 'that' alone made the situation murky.

It seems to have become just another minor hockey story, where 'he said, she said' happens, and i'm
sure the courts don't take that seriously, they have bigger fish to fry.

So, I guess he will be back on tv again, big mouthed as usual, poking fun at the sedins and the canucks,
(as he is a boston guy, played for them as well), so I will continue to dislike him, he's just not the
type of person I warm up to, pushy and enjoys to put down others and can't really see all the fuss and
bother in the NHL trying to create a safer workplace.

Cannuck
+1

So, I guess he will be back on tv again, big mouthed as usual, poking fun at the sedins and the canucks,
(as he is a boston guy, played for them as well).....

I don't think he makes fun of them because he is a Boston guy. Lots of people that aren't from Boston or played for the Bruins make fun of the sisters and the Canucks.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

I don't think he makes fun of them because he is a Boston guy. Lots of people that aren't from Boston or played for the Bruins make fun of the sisters and the Canucks.

Spoken like a true idiot!

gopher
+1
Wear a mask? My face is my mask:

dumpthemonarchy

Quick NHL fact.

You need a link to prove that. The NHL head office takes millions of dollars from every NHL team every year, you won't find your link. Not a fact.

wulfie68
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

He doesn't just go after the Sedin sisters either: in the one Olympic game, he berated Russia (against Team Canada or Team USA)for bringing their "Euro-trash" game, insinuating that they didn't want to play team defence or anything that could be construed as hard nosed hockey. I laughed at that and had to agree at the time. I hated what he did as GM of my Islanders, but generally I respect what he did as a player (aside from things like the Shoe incident) and I enjoy his colour commentary... but I enjoy Don Cherry at times too...

#juan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Spoken like a true idiot!

Yeah, pretty much. Of the two brothers, one holds the scoring lead and the other is in third or fourth but
still in the race, kind of like last year... Both are excellent play-makers. Calling them sisters sounds a lot
like a serious case of ***** Envy but just look where it's coming from....

TenPenny
I think you're missing the point.

Calling them 'sisters' refers to the idea, promoted on here by our resident Canucks expert, that when faced with rough tough boys, like Boston, they can't 'play their kind of game'.

Or, are you guys now saying that they played exactly 'their kind of game' in the playoffs last year?

Quick NHL fact.

Wrong.

Quote:

That's a difficult question to answer.

The NHL is not a non-profit organization, but neither is it a business that makes or loses money (similar to the NHLPA).

The NHL is a collection of 30 entities, all of whom participate in the financial well-being of the league.

When you purchase that 30 dollar T-shirt, part of the money goes to the manufacturer, part of the money goes to the merchandiser, and the remainder of the money is split evenly among the 30 teams (regardless of which team's logo). Out of that money, teams pay the league a small percentage (somebody has to pay salaries of the league officials and the rents on their buildings on NYC, Montreal, and Toronto). Any money in excess of what the NHL needs to manage their expenses is passed back to the teams evenly.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Calling them 'sisters' refers to the idea, promoted on here by our resident Canucks expert, that when faced with rough tough boys, like Boston, they can't 'play their kind of game'.

Or, are you guys now saying that they played exactly 'their kind of game' in the playoffs last year?

Well, I'd have to suggest that the game in Boston on Saturday, dispelled that little myth, much like many of our resident Canuck "expert's" other myths, that he is inclined to perpetuate, even after many admonishments by those much brighter than he!

#juan
+1

No. In last year's play-offs Boston intimidated the referees as well as some of the the Canucks. Boston's whole game is one of
bullying and intimidation from their captain on down Vancouver doesn't have the size to take them on, on that basis. In the most recent game, the Canucks were patient and waited for their chances and were successful. Charo did his best to get Daniel into a fight, showing, what a wonderful, courageous, hero he is.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

No. In last year's play-offs Boston intimidated the referees as well as some of the the Canucks.

Boston didn't intimidate any referees, but they surely intimidated the Canucks.

Maybe some of the 'nucks have grown some cojones this year; maybe they got them from PK Subban, 'cause based on his actions last night, he puts up a good show, but when push comes to shove (literally), he's cowering with his hands over his head.

talloola

Canucks and the sedins don't play boston's type of game, aren't that type of player,
and if they tried to play like that they wouldn't be successful.
They have, and do always play 'their' own type of game, which is what keeps them at
or near the top of the stat sheet.

They will struggle at times with the heavy going, but in the end, with their patience
and talent, will manage be successful, thats just the way it goes.

Boston is a very deep, good team, no super stars, but they play hard, and work hard,
good for them, but the silly idea that the sedins, and the rest of the canucks should
be expected to match that type of play is ridiculous.

Of course we all want our own teams to win, thats natural, but in the big picture,
win or lose, I don't want to see canucks change anything, but along the way gillis
might make a couple of changes, maybe at trade deadline, and so will other gms, to
try to make his team as competetive as possible.

This stupid thing about the canucks being the most hated team in hockey, is a joke,
and I smiled when they asked ken hitchcock about that, and he said. "They just have
to start losing, and everyone will love them."

All anyone has to do about the silly rumour stuff is put the question to a 'real'
hockey man, which he is, and you will get a 'real' answer that makes sense.

TenPenny

Canucks and the sedins don't play boston's type of game, aren't that type of player,
and if they tried to play like that they wouldn't be successful.

Exactly as I said, then.

So don't be surprised when they're called 'sisters'.

talloola

Exactly as I said, then.

I am surprised every time, as I thought grown adults wouldn't be so
very disrespectful, not only to danny and hank, but to women.

If they want to think they are not 'what' they like to think is tough,
then by all means go ahead, but please do it in a manner that isn't like
12 year olds, without any thought to anyone, but thinking they are funny, well
they are not, I like funny, I have a good sense of humour, but I don't refer to
anyone with names that I know would not only disrespect them, but deliberately make
others, (those who like danny and henrik) feel bad.

It is juvenile behavior, and done for reasons I do not understand, other than being
hateful.

Tough has many meanings, and danny and hank are much tougher than any boston bruin,
if you really want to talk about tough in the long term, and not just a big dumb
air headed fighter, if one stops there, then they aren't really understanding what
tough really is.

If the boston g.m. had a chance to bring danny and hank into their organization, they
would do it in the blink of any eye.

I have no time for all of the 'so called macho' kind of talk, I am a woman, a
woman who is mature, very sports savvy, and have seen it all.

#juan

Exactly as I said, then.

They are not called "sisters" by anyone knowledgable about
the Sedins, or hockey in general. Like all proficient goal
scorers, the Sedins put up with more than their share of
punishment around the net but it doesn't keep them from
leading the scoring race.

TenPenny

And they have the Stanley Cup to show for it!

Oh, right, it's the President's Trophy that everyone wants. I forgot.

I am surprised every time, as I thought grown adults wouldn't be so
very disrespectful, not only to danny and hank, but to women.
I am a woman, a
woman who is mature, very sports savvy, and have seen it all.

Then you shouldn't be surprised.

But then again, I'm always amazed at the way some people seem to take personal offense at any insults directed at professional athletes, or on the other hand, take personal pride in the accomplishments of professional athletes. They're just pro athletes, performing a service of providing entertainment.

I take pride in my daughter's teams, and how they do, or not. I don't own any pro teams, or players, so whether they're up or down has nothing to do with me.

#juan

Ten Penny, you are starting to sound like your avitar looks.

talloola

Oh, right, it's the President's Trophy that everyone wants. I forgot.

Then you shouldn't be surprised.

But then again, I'm always amazed at the way some people seem to take personal offense at any insults directed at professional athletes, or on the other hand, take personal pride in the accomplishments of professional athletes. They're just pro athletes, performing a service of providing entertainment.

I take pride in my daughter's teams, and how they do, or not. I don't own any pro teams, or players, so whether they're up or down has nothing to do with me.

they are people, just like your daughter, or mine, it seems that as soon as they are
paid for their accomplishments, people think they are objects to be thrown garbage
at. Doesn't matter who they are, I was brought up to be respectful of others, and
I don't hurl insults and infantile names at anyone, even if they do it to me, just
like hank and danny, I strive to rise above that nonsense, and if I want to criticize
I do it in a manner that doesn't sound like some street gang, or complete idiot, or
someone who is 12, or someone who enjoys name calling.

I grew out of that as a teenager, as did my daughters, and when I heard them lower
their standards and grovel in the dirt like others, they heard it from me.
Who cares about who won the stanley cup or not, that is history now, I don't think
about it, until someone brings it up, its not that important long after the fact,
this is a new season, and i'm well into it, just like all the teams, another
playoff is slowly getting nearer, and I will cheer and enjoy canucks, along with
other teams, including boston, I like their team actually, as I've said before, as
I like many teams, but if it makes some feel good to constantly dwell on the last
stanley cup, then go for it, and feel better if that does it for you.

I am critical of the canucks after certain games, and it is about the hockey played,
and the effort or non effort that was put into certain games, and I will praise
them as well, and I do that with other teams as well.

I get nothing out of calling a player a disrespectful name, that makes it all about
'me' then, and not about them.

It'll be interesting to see someone do a post showing a time where I did call a
player a disrespectful name, so if anyone wants to go to that amount of digging,
be my guest, because i'm not perfect, and probably did at one or another, but if
I did I also would like to read it, would be interesting to me to look into the
past and remember what I said, and why. lol
Last edited by talloola; Jan 13th, 2012 at 06:59 PM..

dumpthemonarchy
+1

Totally. Any one who calls the Sedins "sisters" reveals their extreme ignorance.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

Totally. Any one who calls the Sedins "sisters" reveals their extreme ignorance.

, which everyone knows but him.

Actually they are amazing considering 13 years in the league and no health/injury issues that I know of and still the highest scorers. Most hockey players (with the exception of maybe Messier and Yzerman) are generally reduced to an advisory and leadership role by that time.

dumpthemonarchy
Two more teams from the Originals Six on NBC tomorrow, Chicago and Detriot. The NHL hockey "fan" in the USA is still stuck on "historic" rivalries from decades past, a previous era. The NHL's expansion strategy has completely failed. The old six team league still dominates the USA consciousness. It has not expanded at all. This is comic. Like some dim posters here, no growth.