Now this is a real attempt, to control the media...


lone wolf
#121
I would think if a news media had ethics, brains, and could read a copyline, they'd know it was an old story served up for purposes of propaganda - the sort of dirty laundry some folks love to play in....
 
CDNBear
#122
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I would think if a news media had ethics, brains, and could read a copyline, they'd know it was an old story served up for purposes of propaganda - the sort of dirty laundry some folks love to play in....

LW, I'm with you. But that's our opinion.

I'm sure there are people out there that don't see it that way.

But that also, in no way diminishes the fact that Layton attacked freedom of the press.

Something that I find far more repugnant, then him getting a 'happy ending'.
 
lone wolf
#123
What would you do if some newshack published an old story that might hurt tomorrow's job?
 
CDNBear
#124
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

What would you do if some newshack published an old story that might hurt tomorrow's job?

Years ago when SCB and I owned a small bait and tackle, and ice hut rental, I went through the ice in February, on my way back in from checking my huts. I spent 45 minutes in the water. The day after, a reporter called me to talk to me about the ordeal.

I asked him not to run the story. Not because it would hurt my business, I was done, I was already making deals to sell my huts. But because it had the potential to harm the business of other operators.

His answer, and I'm quoting him word for word here..."Are you kidding? It's not every day I get to interview a dead man."

What I like or dislike, is irrelevant. News, is news.
 
lone wolf
+1
#125
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Years ago when SCB and I owned a small bait and tackle, and ice hut rental, I went through the ice in February, on my way back in from checking my huts. I spent 45 minutes in the water. The day after, a reporter called me to talk to me about the ordeal.

I asked him not to run the story. Not because it would hurt my business, I was done, I was already making deals to sell my huts. But because it had the potential to harm the business of other operators.

His answer, and I'm quoting him word for word here..."Are you kidding? It's not every day I get to interview a dead man."

What I like or dislike, is irrelevant. News, is news.

...and OLD news useful only for propaganda is malice.

Jack could have made big with the "poor you" factor had he capitalized on the story. People relate more easily to the victim. He could have used the cancer thing too. Note that he didn't use either. I wonder what the also rans would do.....
 
CDNBear
#126
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

...and OLD news useful only for propaganda is malice.

That's an opinion based on perception.

If I start up another ice hut rental, which I plan to do next year, would it be fair for the local paper to run the story again?

I bet you won't believe what my answer is.

Quote:

Jack could have made big with the "poor you" factor had he capitalized on the story. People relate more easily to the victim. He could have used the cancer thing too. Note that he didn't use either. I wonder what the also rans would do.....

I'll be honest, it (Getting his freak on in a rub and tug) kind of made me like him a little more. Up until he sought to shut down the press.
 
Tonington
+1
#127
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Sometimes that's a necessity.

The informed findings of a scientist funded by tax payer money is not the same thing as troop movements in Afghanistan. I have no problem whatsoever with protecting troops and civilians.

Quote:

You think restriction is an attack, I don't. I recognize the necessity of restricting information for various reasons from treaty negotiations, to covert operations.

There's a reason I chose the examples I did. Restricting information unrelated to national security or other necessary reasons such as diplomatic negotiations are not the same thing at all. On balance, the greater good is protecting lives rather than giving someone access to information. Restricting important information that can only hurt someones political control on messaging and framing debates is most certainly an attack on any free-thinking Canadian.
 
CDNBear
#128
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

The informed findings of a scientist funded by tax payer money is not the same thing as troop movements in Afghanistan. I have no problem whatsoever with protecting troops and civilians.

And I have no problem paying to see Millers report.

Quote:

There's a reason I chose the examples I did.

I know.

Quote:

Restricting information unrelated to national security or other necessary reasons such as diplomatic negotiations are not the same thing at all. On balance, the greater good is protecting lives rather than giving someone access to information. Restricting important information that can only hurt someones political control on messaging and framing debates is most certainly an attack on any free-thinking Canadian.

Again, your opinion. I see it as an abhorrent act by the gov't. Not an attack. Perceptions dude. I'm not saying you're wrong Ton. Hell I partially agree. From my perception, Layton's direct attack, was far worse.
 
lone wolf
#129
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

That's an opinion based on perception.

If I start up another ice hut rental, which I plan to do next year, would it be fair for the local paper to run the story again?

I bet you won't believe what my answer is.

I'll be honest, it (Getting his freak on in a rub and tug) kind of made me like him a little more. Up until he sought to shut down the press.

My answer would be Print it! It might keep stupid people off the ice.... Now, if someone was to publish an article about your bad welds - ignoring the fact it was in high school shops - would you be so enthused with freedom of the press (an American thing)
 
Praxius
+2
#130
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

You read about this last week? You have a time machine?

Indeed I do.... it's called living in Australia, where we're about a half a day in the future.

I think the original report I read was at lunch time last Friday, Aussie time, which would have been close to when you guys were heading to bed. The original Sun report was dated April 29th.... which was last week.

If you want, I can also tell you who won the election since it's currently 11:09am on Tuesday, May 3rd.
 
SLM
#131
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Indeed I do.... it's called living in Australia, where we're about a half a day in the future.

I think the original report I read was at lunch time last Friday, Aussie time, which would have been close to when you guys were heading to bed. The original Sun report was dated April 29th.... which was last week.

If you want, I can also tell you who won the election since it's currently 11:09am on Tuesday, May 3rd.

Actually, if you would be so kind as to get back to me Friday noon my time with the 649 draw results, that would be super.
 
CDNBear
#132
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

My answer would be Print it! It might keep stupid people off the ice....Now, if someone was to publish an article about your bad welds - ignoring the fact it was in high school shops - would you be so enthused with freedom of the press

Those two examples, are one in the same. I now have a GPS, which means I won't get lost in a snow storm again, and my welds have improved since then. That doesn't change the fact that the report would be fact.

And yes, I would still be enthused about freedom of the press.

Quote:

(an American thing)

...

Quote:

CANADIAN CHARTER OF RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS

Being Part I of the Constitution Act, 1982 [Enacted by the Canada Act 1982 [U.K.] c.11; proclaimed in force April 17, 1982. Amended by the Constitution Amendment Proclamation, 1983, SI/84-102, effective June 21, 1984. Amended by the Constitution Amendment, 1993 [New Brunswick], SI/93-54, Can. Gaz. Part II, April 7, 1993, effective March 12, 1993.]
Whereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law:

Guarantee of Rights and Freedoms

RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS IN CANADA. 1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Fundamental Freedoms

FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS. 2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion; (b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication; (c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and (d) freedom of association.

I have it nearly memorized LW.

Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

If you want, I can also tell you who won the election since it's currently 11:09am on Tuesday, May 3rd.

Please tell me it wasn't Jack "Happy ending" Layton.
 
Icarus27k
#133
So, how's the election going?
 
CDNBear
#134
Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus27kView Post

So, how's the election going?

Still waiting for the stations to report in.
 
Praxius
+1
#135
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Actually, if you would be so kind as to get back to me Friday noon my time with the 649 draw results, that would be super.


"GREAT CRIKEY!! Mai'te, you con't go an tell em Ca'nari'kams the Fuch'ya, or'ems will know about ourz Lazer-Goi'ded Dingo Snach'as attack'en them at noon!"
 
lone wolf
+1
#136
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Those two examples, are one in the same. I now have a GPS, which means I won't get lost in a snow storm again, and my welds have improved since then. That doesn't change the fact that the report would be fact.

And yes, I would still be enthused about freedom of the press.

...

I have it nearly memorized LW.

Crow ain't all that bad...

It still isn't as free as some would like to be. Publish some hate and see what happens.
 
Icarus27k
#137
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
SLM
+1
#138
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post


"GREAT CRIKEY!! Mai'te, you con't go an tell em Ca'nari'kams the Fuch'ya, or'ems will know about ourz Lazer-Goi'ded Dingo Snach'as attack'en them at noon!"

So, don't bother to buy a ticket. lol
 
CDNBear
+1
#139
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Crow ain't all that bad...

Try Franks Red Hot. It covers the gamy flavour, lol.

That's also the reason why I'm very reluctant to disrespect you, btw.

Quote:

It still isn't as free as some would like to be. Publish some hate and see what happens.

I do not agree with hate speech laws, but I do respect them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus27kView Post

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

LOL, I wouldn't be, lol.
 
Praxius
#140
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

So, don't bother to buy a ticket. lol

I guess I'm not at liberty to say either way
 
SLM
#141
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

I guess I'm not at liberty to say either way

Okay, fine! I'll go to work next week then.
 
CDNBear
+1
#142
You know, I really hate being right all the time...

Quote:

The Ontario Provincial Police aren't laying charges in a leak about the 1996 visit to a massage parlour that found NDP Leader Jack Layton inside.
The police force was investigating the information leak about the 1996 incident at the request of the Toronto Police Service, whose officers raided a suspected bawdy house posing as a massage parlour in 1996.

No charges in Layton massage parlour leak - Politics - CBC News
 
SLM
+1
#143
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

You know, I really hate being right all the time...



No charges in Layton massage parlour leak - Politics - CBC News

You hate being right all the time.

I hate being so brilliant and charming.

We all have our crosses to bear.
 
Unforgiven
+2
#144
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

You hate being right all the time.

I hate being so brilliant and charming.

We all have our crosses to bear.

I know for me it's this damn rapier wit coupled with my dashing good looks.
If I weren't so humble I would seem obnoxious.

 
SLM
#145
Quote: Originally Posted by UnforgivenView Post

I know for me it's this damn rapier wit coupled with my dashing good looks.
If I weren't so humble I would seem obnoxious.

It's such a burden really.

 
CDNBear
#146
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

You hate being right all the time.

I hate being so brilliant and charming.

We all have our crosses to bear.

And our Bears to cross...

I will admit to one error, and I concede to fact here, the Toronto Police Services, views Officers note books as Police property. Which makes sense, and is in line with what I was told by York regional Police Services.

What got the retired Officer off the hook was, he's retired, lol. I actually wonder what the policy was on notebooks 10-16 years ago.

Anyways, I digress, It looks like the Sun and the Officer are scottfree, and layton is left with two helpings of egg on his face. One for getting caught in a rub and tug (And having heard interviews with several massage therapists, there is no reason you should be fully naked, for a shiatzu), and for trying tio infringe on the freedom of the press.

I hope he learned a lesson.
 
SLM
#147
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

And our Bears to cross...

I will admit to one error, and I concede to fact here, the Toronto Police Services, views Officers note books as Police property. Which makes sense, and is in line with what I was told by York regional Police Services.

What got the retired Officer off the hook was, he's retired, lol. I actually wonder what the policy was on notebooks 10-16 years ago.

Anyways, I digress, It looks like the Sun and the Officer are scottfree, and layton is left with two helpings of egg on his face. One for getting caught in a rub and tug (And having heard interviews with several massage therapists, there is no reason you should be fully naked, for a shiatzu), and for trying tio infringe on the freedom of the press.

I hope he learned a lesson.

Yes, and it's not like he wasn't in public office at the time either. Regardless of whether he was doing something inappropriate or not (and as I've said before, I really don't care) when you hold public office you need to be keenly aware of even the appearance of inpropriety.

So the retired officer is off the hook because he is retired. If it's a breach of ethics for active police officers to make public their private work notes, then, in my opinion, it's also a unethical for a retired officer.

Just my two cents.
 
CDNBear
#148
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Yes, and it's not like he wasn't in public office at the time either. Regardless of whether he was doing something inappropriate or not (and as I've said before, I really don't care) when you hold public office you need to be keenly aware of even the appearance of inpropriety.

So the retired officer is off the hook because he is retired. If it's a breach of ethics for active police officers to make public their private work notes, then, in my opinion, it's also a unethical for a retired officer.

Just my two cents.

I agree, across the board.
 
Mowich
#149
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Harper has been doing it for 4 years.

This is the first I've heard of it from the left side of things.

I also think the degree and type of control is much worse on Harper's end - especially as part of the conservative platform.

No political party in Canada 'controls' the media. They may and do, limit media access to their MPs.
 
Cliffy
#150
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

No political party in Canada 'controls' the media. They may and do, limit media access to their MPs.

That is right. His puppet masters control the media.
 
no new posts