Badly-designed New Zealand Royal Wedding stamp is "embarrassing."

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A Royal Wedding stamp from the tiny Pacific island of Niue which features Wills and Kate has been dubbed "embarrassing" - because it has a perforated line down the middle which spilts up the Royal couple.

Together the Royal Wedding stamps are worth 5.80 NZ dollars, but separated Middleton is a 2.40 dollars stamp and Prince William a costlier 3.40 dollars.

Editor of Gibbons Stamp Monthly Hugh Jefferies said the stamp is "embarrassing" and had not been designed well.

He said: "Whoever designed this will have egg on their face and someone's head will roll."

Niue is situated in the Pacific 1,500 miles northeast of New Zealand. It measures just 100 sq mi in area and has a population of almost one-and-a-half thousand. It lacks full sovereignty as it is in free association with New Zealand. Most diplomatic relations are conducted by New Zealand on Niue's behalf. It has Queen Elizabeth II as its Head of State.

Royal wedding: stamp design fault tears royal couple apart

A royal wedding stamp featuring Prince William and Kate Middleton has an awkward feature - a perforated line down the middle which splits the couple up.

The stamp, officially released in New Zealand to mark the young couple's wedding later this month, can be torn in half and used as two stamps

03 Apr 2011
The Telegraph

The unusual stamp, officially released in New Zealand to mark the young couple's wedding later this month, can be torn in half and used as two stamps.

Together the Royal Wedding stamps are worth 5.80 NZ dollars, but separated Middleton is a 2.40 dollars stamp and Prince William a costlier 3.40 dollars.

It is thought the stamp, which went on sale last week and is designed by New Zealand Post, will now become a collectors' item.

Editor of Gibbons Stamp Monthly Hugh Jefferies said the stamp is "embarrassing" and had not been designed well.

He said: "Whoever designed this will have egg on their face and someone's head will roll.

"I'm sure they didn't mean to ominously suggest the couple could be easily separated, it's just a very bizarre design.

"This kind of thing has happened in the past. When Charles and Diana got married, the Australian Royal stamp had the couple facing away from each other, which caused much criticism.

"In most countries Buckingham Palace will have to approve the design. Perhaps they were shown it without the perforation down the middle.

"When something like this happens the critics love it and the post office responsible can't stand it. It's also unusual that the two stamps are worth different values.

"They are a lovely looking couple and the stamps stand alone well, its's just unfortunate the separation line is between them."

He added: "There is quite a big take up with collectors for this type of thing and no doubt they will have a wry smile on their faces when they file this stamp in their books."

telegraph.co.uk

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Any stamp, anything about a royal wedding is totally unnecessary, and therefore totally wrong.

Unless you voluntarily admit that coming to this world through the vagina you consider superior, makes you and your ilk superior.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Well you never really know how these royal weddings are going to go so if bad goes to worse, hey two freaken stamps yo!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Any stamp, anything about a royal wedding is totally unnecessary, and therefore totally wrong.

Unless you voluntarily admit that coming to this world through the vagina you consider superior, makes you and your ilk superior.

gee, I seem to remember somebody whining about immigrants not melding with Canadian society. Not accepting our way of life and our traditions. Bringing their own and expecting us to cow tow to them.

The Monarchy IS a Canadian TRADITION! We HAVE a Constitutional Monarchy.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
gee, I seem to remember somebody whining about immigrants not melding with Canadian society. Not accepting our way of life and our traditions. Bringing their own and expecting us to cow tow to them.

The Monarchy IS a Canadian TRADITION! We HAVE a Constitutional Monarchy.

If you are implying that I whined about immigrants not melding, you are barking up the wrong tree. I am an immigrant, who married a Canadian girl, raised our children in a totally Canadian way (Hell they don't speak a single word of the language of my old country, but adore its cousine) and earned my Canadian citizenship, unlike many of my detractors (perhaps you among them) who are nothing but lucky recipients of Canadian Citizenship, by the accident of birth.

Can I criticize the concept and the fact of Monarchy? Can I criticize any of the traditions?

As a fully accredited Canadian Citizen, YES, I CAN!!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

I'm inclined to agree with you. I don'r recognize a foreigner as leader of our country even if it is just in name.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I can only assume that YukonJack believes his kids should not have Canadian citizenship.

I don't think that I have to tell you what a person who ASSUMES is. You prove it with your posts.

My kids and grandkids are every bit and more as Canadian as you ASSUME yourself to be.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't think that I have to tell you what a person who ASSUMES is. You prove it with your posts.

My kids and grandkids are every bit and more as Canadian as you ASSUME yourself to be.

and yet, it appears that YOU believe that YOU are more Canadian than those that are born into their citizenship.

I'm curious jackie boy, do you remember the pledge you made when you became a citizen?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
and yet, it appears that YOU believe that YOU are more Canadian than those that are born into their citizenship.

I'm curious jackie boy, do you remember the pledge you made when you became a citizen?

I DO remember well, gerryh. If it came to defending Canada, I would be there, in spite of my advanced age. My pledge upon taking the Canadian Citizenship does not exclude me of voicing a valid criticism. Tradition or not, give me just ONE valid reason why you or I should consider ourselves lesser human beings than those who came to this world through the "right" vaginal passage? Tradition or not, tell me why I can not voice an opinion as a citizen. Tradition or not, tell me why you are a xenophobe? Tradition or not, tell me what makes you and your myopic opinions more valid than me and my myopic opinions? Tell me why you consider your accidental citizenship more valuable than my EARNED citizenship.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I DO remember well, gerryh. If it came to defending Canada, I would be there, in spite of my advanced age. My pledge upon taking the Canadian Citizenship does not exclude me of voicing a valid criticism. Tradition or not, give me just ONE valid reason why you or I should consider ourselves lesser human beings than those who came to this world through the "right" vaginal passage? Tradition or not, tell me why I can not voice an opinion as a citizen. Tradition or not, tell me why you are a xenophobe? Tradition or not, tell me what makes you and your myopic opinions more valid than me and my myopic opinions? Tell me why you consider your accidental citizenship more valuable than my EARNED citizenship.

You are a prime example of why my citizenship is more valid than yours. Obviously your pledge to the Canadian Crown meant nothing to you. Obviously it's true what some people say concerning how easy it is to become a Canadian citizen and that obviously the pledges that are made mean sweet piss all to those non citizens taking them.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

But you place some different value on Canadian citizenship if you voluntarily come here, as opposed to being born here. Therefore, you must believe that your children are either lesser citizens, or, if they are supreme beings, they shouldn't have citizenship by right of birth.

Or, are you just full of excrement?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
You are a prime example of why my citizenship is more valid than yours. Obviously your pledge to the Canadian Crown meant nothing to you. Obviously it's true what some people say concerning how easy it is to become a Canadian citizen and that obviously the pledges that are made mean sweet piss all to those non citizens taking them.

My pledge to CANADA was and still is valid, every bit as valid as your default non-pledge.

The Crown and what it represents gives me the freedom of speech, which does not mean that criticism of the status quo is invalid or disrespectful. We all do it, and will do it again and again at every election.

Only a fool does not recognize that.

But you place some different value on Canadian citizenship if you voluntarily come here, as opposed to being born here. Therefore, you must believe that your children are either lesser citizens, or, if they are supreme beings, they shouldn't have citizenship by right of birth.

Or, are you just full of excrement?

I did no such thing. I merely said that I earned my citizenship. I made no derogatory remarks about the citizenship of those who were born here, I simply said that for them Citizenship was a given and they did not have to do or say anything to earn it. I attached no value to either accidental or earned citizenship, whatsoever.

I am getting tired of some useless yahooes denigrating me and my citizenship with xenophobic nonsense, especially in view of the fact (?) that I have been a citizen longer than and more productively than they.

I will not sink to their level by responding to their hate any more, after I punched the "Submit Reply" button.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

This piece of literary crap is WAY beyond any "criticism". It shows a complete lack of respect for Canada's head of state. I would even say it borders on sedition.

My pledge to CANADA was and still is valid, every bit as valid as your default non-pledge.

The Crown and what it represents gives me the freedom of speech, which does not mean that criticism of the status quo is invalid or disrespectful. We all do it, and will do it again and again at every election.

Only a fool does not recognize that.

Obviously your pledge means nothing to you as you pledged allegiance to the Canadian crown.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Wow Gerry, Saying we cannot criticize or make fun of the monachy is like saying we can't criticize or make fun of the politicians either.

And just to correct your deluded belief regarding our position as a consttutional monarchy....Clause 9 states "9.- The Executive Government and Authority of and over Canada is hereby declared to continue and be vested in the Queen". The consolidated Constituton Acts of 1982 were never ratified by a referendum of the people, they were brought into force by a royal proclaimation and an act of British parliament, we are still legally a colony. Further proof is evidenced in clause 26 of the charter fo rights and freedoms which refers to rights held outside the consolidated acts and has to be there to allow us to claim the rights granted from the crown, namely the rights granted by the Magna Carta to held in perpetuity, although they don't want us to know it which is why it doesn't give a clear explaination.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Wow Gerry, Saying we cannot criticize or make fun of the monachy is like saying we can't criticize or make fun of the politicians either.

No, it's nothing of the sort, but you tinfoil hatters are good with trying to twist things around if nothing else.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I am getting tired of some useless yahooes denigrating me and my citizenship with xenophobic nonsense, especially in view of the fact (?) that I have been a citizen longer than and more productively than they.

I did no such thing, and I hardly think you have been more productive than me. More reproductive, sure.

Back to the point: I think I'll try to order some of those stamps, they look like fun.