Vancouver Policeman Pushes Handicapped Woman To The Pavement

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Here's good example of why public esteem of the police is in decline.

CTV British Columbia - Vancouver cop caught shoving disabled woman - CTV News

Vancouver cop caught shoving disabled woman

By: Darcy Wintonyk, ctvbc.ca

Date: Thursday Jul. 22, 2010 5:44 PM PT

The Vancouver Police Department has launched an internal investigation after a human rights watchdog released surveillance footage showing a beat cop shoving a disabled woman to the ground in the city's impoverished Downtown Eastside.

The video, taken June 9 in front of the Lux Hotel on East Hastings Street, shows the woman, who suffers from cerebral palsy and has a pronounced limp, approaching three Vancouver Police Department officers walking side-by-side through a crowded area in front of a bottle recycling centre.

"One of the three officers can be seen pushing over a small and visibly disabled woman after she appears to brush into him accidentally. He then stands over her," Robert Holmes of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association told ctvbc.ca.

Footage from a video camera posted outside the hotel shows the officers walking away while the woman is still on the ground. After a few moments someone helps her up and she continues walking. There is no audio on the tape.

A statement released to media by the Vancouver Police Department Thursday said the officer reported the incident to his supervisor several hours after it happened and that his actions, and why no one helped the woman, are now the subject of a probe by its Professional Standards Section.

The officer involved has also apologized to the woman for his actions and not helping her afterwards.

"Our officers are well-trained, but they do make mistakes, and when they do, we've apologized for that," Cpl. Jana McGuinness told reporters.

The officer does regular foot patrols in the Downtown Eastside and has been on the job since March of 2009. The woman has no previous record with police.

The BCCLA calls the incident "disappointing" and says it would not have happened if it was in a wealthier neighbourhood.

"For one officer to do this to a visibly disabled woman is bad. For two others not to say or do anything is, too. For all three of them simply to walk on suggests they have forgotten what their job involves," Holmes said.

In the statement, the VPD acknowledges that the video will cause concern to viewers.

"The VPD takes its responsibility for the safety of the residents of the Downtown Eastside very seriously. If this incident has in any way caused the public to be concerned about our commitment to helping and serving the people of the Downtown Eastside, we are deeply sorry."

BCCLA Executive Director David Eby said that his group has heard of multiple incidents of excessive force used by police in Canada's poorest postal code.

"We know of three incidents in the past six months," Eby said.

"They need to look at the larger cultural issue of excessive violence by police officers in the Downtown Eastside."

The BCCLA questioned the VPD earlier this month after members said they kneed a Sudanese man several times because he tried to grab an officer's gun from its holster during an arrest.

But a YouTube video of the incident showed 47-year-old Eltah Ishtag's hands were well away from the gun belts of any of the officers before the struggle moves out of camera range.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
a little while back I had an "us n them" thread on here, but the mods changed the title to something incongruent. this thread is an "us n them"

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
'it wouldn't have happened in a wealthier neighborhood'

No, probably not.

Partly because wealthier neighborhoods don't get the luxury of beat cops walking around. Like in many things, the wealthier neighborhoods are left to their own devices, while the tax money is spent on those who don't pay taxes.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
To be expected-the VPD are a disgrace.

As to " forget about all the times good cops help out people."-that doesn't happen here never seen it once.

Last night I watched 2 cops hassling native people who were openly drinking on a local beach-there were at least 4 other parties also drinking/openly smoking marijuana as per SOP-the cops drove on their ATVs right past them directly to the natives and commenced to make them pour out their bottles while the other 4 parties continued.

The natives were then searched and lectured over & over & over and finally kicked off the beach.

The cops then left and the regular parties kept on partying.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Yes anna,blame the evil media,have you had a friend beat by a cop so bad his wife couldn't recognize him? Cop was charged but never made it to court,cop was transfered out of province. This happened to friends of mine twice,once in NS the other in Alta.
But they likely asked for it right ?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
'it wouldn't have happened in a wealthier neighborhood'

No, probably not.

Partly because wealthier neighborhoods don't get the luxury of beat cops walking around. Like in many things, the wealthier neighborhoods are left to their own devices, while the tax money is spent on those who don't pay taxes.
In wealthy neigbourhoods, people aren't packed in to the same density - ergo, the cruisers.

Doug_in_Indiana

Jul 23, 2010
Near Chicago
Sir Robert Peel's 9 police principles: (This from the British PM who first foisted government police on the unsuspecting people of London and set the whole preposterous idea of these always arrogant and now depraved organizations upon Western civilization.)

1. The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.
  2. The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions.
  3. Police must secure the willing co-operation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.
  4. The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.
  5. Police seek and preserve public favour not by catering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.
  6. Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient.
  7. Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence
  8. Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.
  9. The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.
I have been to a lot of places subject to police force and it is rare these days to see them adhere to any of these old (circa 1830) principles. Especially in North America their first principle is usually to demand submission to their presumed authority. Remember Anna, they are supposed to be there as your servants. Fat F…ing Chance.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

As to " forget about all the times good cops help out people."-that doesn't happen here never seen it once.

Last night I watched 2 cops hassling native people who were openly drinking on a local beach-there were at least 4 other parties also drinking/openly smoking marijuana as per SOP-the cops drove on their ATVs right past them directly to the natives and commenced to make them pour out their bottles while the other 4 parties continued.

The natives were then searched and lectured over & over & over and finally kicked off the beach.

So you are saying the entire force is tarred with the same brush? While I agree that there seems to be a growing bad attitude among cops, I'm not sure how much of this they are responsible for and how much the media is responsible for. I still believe the MAJORITY of cops are trying to do a good, professional job, but there are a growing number of "hotdogs" out there.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Yes anna,blame the evil media,have you had a friend beat by a cop so bad his wife couldn't recognize him? Cop was charged but never made it to court,cop was transfered out of province. This happened to friends of mine twice,once in NS the other in Alta.
But they likely asked for it right ?
Yeah yeah. I heard the stories over and over. There's no such thing as a good cop. Same old BS from the sour grapes crew.
The media is partially at fault, because it is exactly as I said, the newsmedia can sell the bad stuff so that is what they look for. The same with people like Bariko. They can't see the good stuff because they aren't looking for it. All they hear on the idiot box is bad cop bad cop bad cop, so they leap to the stupid conclusion all there is are bad cops.
Another thing, when the dipshyte gov't keeps piling on the bureaucracy and paperwork that cops have to go through, their jobs don't get any easier.
In the decades that hubby's been a firefighter, he's only met a handful of cops he wouldn't have anything to do with. And rookies make mistakes. So I don't really give a rats ass what Bariko and Risus think about cops, most of them are pretty decent people.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Oh, there are lots of really good cops out there. I'd venture to say they're still the majority. The sad part is, it's the bad ones who make headlines and tarnish the image.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Oh, there are lots of really good cops out there. I'd venture to say they're still the majority. The sad part is, it's the bad ones who make headlines and tarnish the image.

That is unfortunately the case. I would love to hear more stories about police saving someone's life or stopping a crime in progress and getting a dangerous criminal off the streets(just for the judges to let them right back on it, but that is another story), but those usually aren't as "exciting".

It really is a shame that the bad apples make everyone else look rotten as well.:(

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
AnnaGSo I don't really give a rats ass what Bariko and Risus think about cops said:
If you want to see how valid Risus' opinion is just take a gander at his post about his hero Lord Black. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Now that's what you call drunk.

That probably shows he's human more than criminal. There was obviously no criminal intent and after all he was off duty and probably overly tired so what's the big deal? That sort of stuff happens to the best of us but since he's a cop, it makes the news. :lol::lol::lol::lol: Having said that he may be better off to do his drinking at home. :lol::lol::lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The best of us? I've never busted into someson'e house and crashed on the couch thinking I was at a motel when I was drunk.

Not even close.

The mailbox would have been a dead give away.