BP Gulf Oil Spill's Walking Dead (external - login to view)
Millions exposed to uncontrolled hemorrhaging, lesions, cancers
- CURRENT EVENTS (external - login to view)
- EDUCATION (external - login to view)
- GULF OIL DISASTER (external - login to view)
- HIDDEN HISTORY (external - login to view)
- POLITICS/ELECTIONS/CORRUPTION (external - login to view)
- PROTESTS/REVOLUTION (external - login to view)
- WHITE HOUSE (external - login to view)
- WMD (external - login to view)
Recently, frustrated scientists presented evidence that millions of Gulf area residents were poisoned by the BP Gulf disaster. Worse, they believe that millions more could be exposed to long term poisoning.
Yet other than those worried scientists few seemed to care.
Now more frightening evidence has emerged: areas of the Gulf Coast may have been saturated with high levels of benzene, hydrogen sulfide and radioactive hydrocarbon effluents--three deadly substances that can cause disease and death years after the initial exposures.
"Benzene and Other Toxic Solvents and Chemicals"
- Benzene is a known human carcinogen. Work-related exposure to benzene has been linked to the development of blood cancers and blood disorders. Examples of blood diseases that may be caused by occupational benzene exposure include acute myelogenous leukemia, chronic myelogenous leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome (which can progress into acute myelogenous leukemia over time), aplastic anemia, acute lymphocytic leukemia, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and multiple myeloma. Certain other toxic solvents and chemicals may also be a cause of blood cancers and disorders. Link: http://www.leukemiainfocenter.com/Benzene_Toxicity.html (external - login to view)
"BP Death Clouds Already Onshore! Benzene-3400ppb & Hyrdrogen Sulfide-1200ppb TOXIC AIR ALERT"
- before the news blackout
BP releases benzene in Texas too
For 40 days, flares burned 500,000 pounds of toxic chemicals over BP's Texas City refinery. Yet residents didn't know until weeks later that the flare released 17,000 pounds of cancer-causing benzene. Link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7159288.html (external - login to view)
Toxicity Chart of Hydrogen Sulfide
Link: http://www.helium.com/items/1929422-bp-gulf-disaster-may-be-killing-mi... (external - login to view)
Toxicological profile for hydrogen sulfide
Radioactivity exposure: air, water, food supply
“Radioactive Hydrocarbon Effluent ...from oil and which possesses higher levels of radium isotopes. The deeper the petroleum reserves, the more likely the reservoirs of oil and methane in those geological formations will contain uranium, thorium or radium. Given the elevated levels of radioactivity at the source, the level of radioactivity associated with the hydrocarbon effluent coming out of the well will inevitably be impacted. Radium isotopes have inherent health risks that ought to be identified and properly disseminated. The concerned resident of the Gulf Coast may want to initiate him/herself in the area of health impacts due to long-term exposure to low grade radioactivity. Of course, the seafood, the waters and the beaches all provide different vehicles for such contamination to take place, each with varying consequences.'
ALERT: Environmental and Health Impacts of the BP Gulf Oil Spill
Link: http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article21717.html (external - login to view)
Scientists plead dispersants not be used: Scientists oppose the use of dispersant chemicals in the Gulf of Mexico
Link: http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/TODAY/Sections/aNEWS/2010/07-July%2010/Sci... (external - login to view)
"Assessing the Effects of the Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill on Human Health"
- National Academies Press
Chapter 3: Short and long term physical effects on human health, p43 - p74 Link: http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=12949&page=43 (external - login to view)
BP Oil Spill: Dealing with Uncertainty, Human Health and a Manhattan-Sized Toxic Soup
Link: http://blog.nj.com/njv_jeff_toney/2010/08/bp_oil_spill_dealing_with_un... (external - login to view)
BP oil poisons Gulf food chain
Link: http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/article_7165.s... (external - login to view)